Jump to content
  • Sign Up
  • Join Our Community!

    Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

hayley3

Sinuses sensitive to potato chips but not potatoes

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any idea why I would get sinus infections when I eat potato chips.  I can eat fried potatoes at home just fine. 

It says there's nothing in the bag but oil and potatoes.   I have been really sick with sinus pain, runny nose and when I stopped the potato chips I got better.  I ate the chips cause they seemed like the safest.  I have been allergy tested and I'm not allergic to potatoes.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I eat the plain potato chips cause I'm allergic to milk and all but the plain have whey in them.  And according to the allergist I'm not allergic to any oils.  Someone mentioned that potato chips might be dipped in sulfites but I couldn't find any mention of that on google.  What a mystery this is!  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be your answer.  You were on the right track!  Read this about a sulfite sensitivity:

http://www.allergy.org.au/patients/product-allergy/sulfite-allergy

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

Be sure to see if other foods on the list bother you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't they have to add that as an ingredient if sulfites were used?

I also considered that potato chips are high glycemic and raises my blood sugar. 

Anyway, I just ate potato chips and here I am with a sinus infection, so it's still an ongoing issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, hayley3 said:

Wouldn't they have to add that as an ingredient if sulfites were used?

I also considered that potato chips are high glycemic and raises my blood sugar. 

Anyway, I just ate potato chips and here I am with a sinus infection, so it's still an ongoing issue.

-_- I had to give up most chips years ago, seems prevalence of corn-based ingredients is quite high with them. Took me while to figure this out and slowly whittled down my options to serve to guest. The last option I had was taken away by corn also when they changed ingredients. So Now I make protein crackers and veggie chips at home. There is still 1 brand I might trust serving but I would not eat it.

>.< I went keto/atkins to deal with my blood sugar issues, I make my stuff from pea protein, and seed meals. Heck, the veggie chips are just kale, or cabbage coated in a nut or seed butter and seasonings and roasted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very possible...the corn.  Corn chips and popcorn are a definite no-no for me but then I always thought it was the rise in blood sugar, although I'm not diabetic, I do have blood sugar issues.  I do have dairy allergies and I can't eat sugar.  I have the celiac gene but they say no celiac, although I do have SIBO.  It sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hayley3 said:

That's very possible...the corn.  Corn chips and popcorn are a definite no-no for me but then I always thought it was the rise in blood sugar, although I'm not diabetic, I do have blood sugar issues.  I do have dairy allergies and I can't eat sugar.  I have the celiac gene but they say no celiac, although I do have SIBO.  It sucks.

The corn is weird, they say it depends on many factors of processing, and then factor in your immune system, iodine intake, H1,H2,H3 blockers, etc. I thought the corn allergy people were crazy when they talked about citric acid, dextrose, salt (often processed with additives made from corn when made to prevent clumping), malic acid, etc. I started calling companies and asking about sources and growth mediums for products and ones that used corn raised red flags on issues. But oddly I find some things like erythritol from corn does not bother me at all. 
The Chips, probably have a corn derivative used to keep them from sticking together, or in the spices, heck might even be the oil. 

I hear you on the blood sugar...they say I do not have diabetes...but a few forks of hashbrowns, rice, or few tsp of sugar will send my glucose over 400. My body just does not handle carbs anymore, I think it has to do with my pancreas not working right. 

Whey allergy here with lactose intolerance, oddly casein does not bother me when I tried an isolate version of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hayley3 said:

Wouldn't they have to add that as an ingredient if sulfites were used?

I also considered that potato chips are high glycemic and raises my blood sugar. 

Anyway, I just ate potato chips and here I am with a sinus infection, so it's still an ongoing issue.

Sulfites can occur naturally in foods like wine.    They can be found in dried potatoes.  

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sulfite-allergy-82911

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ennis_TX said:

The corn is weird, they say it depends on many factors of processing, and then factor in your immune system, iodine intake, H1,H2,H3 blockers, etc. I thought the corn allergy people were crazy when they talked about citric acid, dextrose, salt (often processed with additives made from corn when made to prevent clumping), malic acid, etc. I started calling companies and asking about sources and growth mediums for products and ones that used corn raised red flags on issues. But oddly I find some things like erythritol from corn does not bother me at all. 
The Chips, probably have a corn derivative used to keep them from sticking together, or in the spices, heck might even be the oil. 

I hear you on the blood sugar...they say I do not have diabetes...but a few forks of hashbrowns, rice, or few tsp of sugar will send my glucose over 400. My body just does not handle carbs anymore, I think it has to do with my pancreas not working right. 

Whey allergy here with lactose intolerance, oddly casein does not bother me when I tried an isolate version of it.

 

I bought a blood sugar meter and ate some gluten free pancakes, and my blood sugar goes up to 185 and then drops to 50, but the doctors say I'm fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Sulfites can occur naturally in foods like wine.    They can be found in dried potatoes.  

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sulfite-allergy-82911

Interesting...

I did read once that potato chips were the worst junk food that you can eat because they are fried at such a high temp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Top Posters +

  • Upcoming Events

    • April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      0  
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM
      0  
       
       
       
      Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group
       
       
       
      Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.
       
      The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.
       
      The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.
       
      The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      0  
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 
       
×
×
  • Create New...