Rate this topic

Hi, have seen some stuff about gene testing for celiacs online - is this something worth doing, and can anyone suggest a reputable company to go through (and takes samples from overseas - we're in New Zealand).

thanks, Melissa

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-genetic-testing-and-who-can-benefit-from-it/

Gene testing is really used to rule out celiac disease. Something like over 30% of the population has the genes for celiac but only about 1% of those will ever actually have celiac so if you come up positive on the genetic test it only means you're the same as 1/3 of the population NOT that you have celiac disease. Save your money.

I am not sure if my insurance covers it, but I am considering it.  My kid has tested negative for celiac disease.  She will be tested every few years for life (even if symptom free), so genetic testing could allow her to opt out of the celiac blood panel.  But with my diagnosis and her Dad having gluten issues (15 years gluten free), plus strong autoimmune disorders on both sides, I bet she has the genes.   Pay out of pocket?  No.  She can tough out the needle stick!  

Squimingitch is right that it is used to exclude celiac disease -- not for diagnostic purposes.