Rate this topic

I have been on a gluten-free diet for exactly one-year. During that time, I have had no stomach issues or problems when I inadvertently ingested gluten. The other day, I had GI discomfort (no vomiting or diarrhea) and my blood pressure spiked t0 200/98 (normally 119/75). As my GI discomfort subsided, my pressure crept back to normal. This took about 16-hours. I know that I ingested something with gluten, which I had thought was gluten-free.  It never bothered me before. Should I expect that the longer I'm gluten-free, the more susceptible I will be to having a pronounced reaction to inadvertent gluten exposure? Has anyone else had similar experiences with blood pressure spikes?

Hi Michael,

That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea.

Welcome to the forum! :)

On July 26, 2016 at 0:41 PM, MichaelDG said:

I have been on a gluten-free diet for exactly one-year. During that time, I have had no stomach issues or problems when I inadvertently ingested gluten. The other day, I had GI discomfort (no vomiting or diarrhea) and my blood pressure spiked t0 200/98 (normally 119/75). As my GI discomfort subsided, my pressure crept back to normal. This took about 16-hours. I know that I ingested something with gluten, which I had thought was gluten-free.  It never bothered me before. Should I expect that the longer I'm gluten-free, the more susceptible I will be to having a pronounced reaction to inadvertent gluten exposure? Has anyone else had similar experiences with blood pressure spikes? 

Yes!! I was taken by ambulance with 201/126!! I never had high blood pressure and newly diagnosed celiac 3 months ago. I am all confused on how I felt pretty good except for the bad acid reflux and bloating before I was diagnosed and now I have bad bad stomach pain like as in wanting to go to hospital nauseated also. Why wasn't I feeling all of this before when I was eating gluten but now I feel really ill sometimes and I am very careful about not getting glutened. Pretty confusing on why now is all this pain and I didn't have it before. 

Edited by Mshell

4 hours ago, Mshell said:

Yes!! I was taken by ambulance with 201/126!! I never had high blood pressure and newly diagnosed celiac 3 months ago. I am all confused on how I felt pretty good except for the bad acid reflux and bloating before I was diagnosed and now I have bad bad stomach pain like as in wanting to go to hospital nauseated also. Why wasn't I feeling all of this before when I was eating gluten but now I feel really ill sometimes and I am very careful about not getting glutened. Pretty confusing on why now is all this pain and I didn't have it before. 

Celiac symptoms can wax and wane.  I just had anemia and no tummy issues when I was diagnosed.  When I got glutened last year, I had horrible intestinal issues.  A follow-up celiac antibodies confirmed that gluten was the culprit.  

The best thing is to keep educating yourself about the gluten-free diet to help you avoid future glutenings.  Give yourself time to heal (like a year).