This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Loose Bms And Gas After 5+ Months gluten-free?

carriecraig

carriecraig Enthusiast

I know that each person is different, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has this problem: I was diagnosed with celiac disease in June and have been gluten-free ever since (except for 1 slip-up). I am still going to the bathroom at least 4 times a day, and each of them are extremely loose. I also have pretty bad gas in the morning, and have to make sure that I am on the toilet before I relieve the pressure. And sometimes that gas accompanies my BM's (making it VERY embarrising to go to the bathroom at work).

Anyone else have these issues???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, each person is different...have you noticed improvement?

Has everything been gluten free including makeup, shampoos, lotions, perfumes, hairsprays and those kinds of things? Make sure there is no possible way for gluten to get into your system. Or maybe gluten is not your only issue?

By the 5th month, for me, I was alot better than I was before but I was still having symptoms.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Carrie--Maybe there is something else you're reacting to. Soy, corn, dairy--these are things that many people have problems with. I found that the longer I was gluten-free, the more sensitive I became to things I wasn't aware of before. Also, as you've probably read here a million times, it is very important to check the non-food products you use. Shampoo, soap, makeup, etc. They can and do find their way into your mouth! It is true that we all have different rates of healing, but it sounds to me like there may be something you're eating that is causing the persistant D and gas. If you're sure that all the gluten is out, maybe try cutting out dairy for a week and see how you feel. It must be frustrating--have you noticed any improvement in other areas such as energy level, concentration, etc. The bottom line is that it takes time--hope you feel better :)

StrongerToday Enthusiast
I know that each person is different, but I wanted to find out if anyone else has this problem: I was diagnosed with celiac disease in June and have been gluten-free ever since (except for 1 slip-up). I am still going to the bathroom at least 4 times a day, and each of them are extremely loose. I also have pretty bad gas in the morning, and have to make sure that I am on the toilet before I relieve the pressure. And sometimes that gas accompanies my BM's (making it VERY embarrising to go to the bathroom at work).

Anyone else have these issues???

I have been GFDF since mid-August. I keep a detailed food and bathroom log (how's that for fun reading?) :blink: which is very helpful. I've noticed that I usually go on average 5 times/day - sometimes more. One day it was less and I was all freaked out until I remembered that was my goal! I'm trying to re-introduce dairy but that gives me *horrible* gas for at least four days. Are you dairy free? Are you doing BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Apples...) - that helps me a lot. Overall are you feeling better?

jenvan Collaborator

Carrie-

Each person is different, however, I highly recommend you try keeping a food journal for several weeks. I think its a bit unusual you haven't noticed any improvement in your bowels. Ideas: other food intolerances like dairy, soy, eggs, fructose; unspected contamination--like in your shampoos, makeup, lotions etc. A food/symptom journal can help you find correlations between certain foods you are eating and certain reactions. You can also try a rotation diet that can help find correlations. I suggest since you are still not improving, that you go back to whole, unprocessed foods--meat, veggies and fruit, then gradually introduce new foods and track reactions. If those are dead ends, you could explore the Specific Carboyhydrate Diet: Open Original Shared Link There is also a thread on this board for people on the SCD and their progress: Open Original Shared Link You need to feel better and get some relief soon!!!

julie5914 Contributor

I am still not without the occasional sprint to the bathroom, but I believe it was dairy that was messing with me after I had been months gluten-free and still having trouble. Jury's still out, but I'm 90% sure that was the problem.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to clarify, I don't have D 5x times a day (any longer, thank god), my BM's are just soft.

I'm going to go dairy-free for a while, and I'm changing all of my hair/make-up products (only ones that I can find that are not gluten-free).

Hopefully one of these things will do the trick.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

carrie-glad you're changing your products..that is a must. i have been gluten-free 9 mos, still have funky bms at times...it just takes quite a while for some of us. i had to go dairy free...figured out it makes me constipated. if you try soy, be aware, it can give people trouble too. i use rice milk and like quite a bit...some gluten-free ones: wild oats brand, whole foods, full circle, pacific

bluelotus Contributor

i was having a similar problem (as well as headaches, acne, and hairloss - my other more common symptoms). found out a couple of foods i thought were safe had gluten as well as a couple of my hair products. after about a week, i was feeling great and symptoms are gone. its been about 3-4 weeks now! i do have to stay away from dried fruit though or i get gassy (too much fiber?). good luck and i hope something works out for you.

Merika Contributor

Hi Carrie,

Glad you are seeing some improvement :) Definitely change the hair products, like you said, and check again every label you eat. Are you using the microwave/toaster at work? That could contaminate you.

Overall, though, things sound ok. I have been gluten-free almost 2 years and am still not "normal". Mind you, my poops were never classic celiac (no D), I get other symptoms though. In fact, my poops got *worse* for several months before they returned to normal after going gluten-free. Not sure what was up with that.

Merika

Archived