Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter
0
StephanieL

Celiac Disease in Children: Experts Clarify Diagnosis and Management Recommendations

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts


Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


Me too, I am not a member of Medscape.    Is this the article?  I goggled the topic and filtered using "news".  (Hope it works!)

Celiac Disease in Children: Experts Clarify Diagnosis and Management Recommendations

 

Here is what I liked.....a gluten sniffing dog for helping kids to remain dietary compliant!   Count me in!  

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the link fine but if I recall correctly I am a member of Medscape - I believe I just plain signed up for it - I know there isn't any fee for anything I sign up for otherwise I think very long and very hard whether it's going to be worth my money or not.


Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Me too, I am not a member of Medscape.    Is this the article?  I goggled the topic and filtered using "news".  (Hope it works!)

Celiac Disease in Children: Experts Clarify Diagnosis and Management Recommendations

 

Here is what I liked.....a gluten sniffing dog for helping kids to remain dietary compliant!   Count me in!  

There's a gluten sniffing dog?????????????  I WANT ONE!  That way, as a service dog, I could take the pup into a restaurant and not be kicked out. ;) I have always marveled how in Europe, you see some dogs in cafes, sitting besides their owners while they eat. But having a dog to sniff out gluten is just so cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Gemini said:

There's a gluten sniffing dog?????????????  I WANT ONE!  That way, as a service dog, I could take the pup into a restaurant and not be kicked out. ;) I have always marveled how in Europe, you see some dogs in cafes, sitting besides their owners while they eat. But having a dog to sniff out gluten is just so cool!

Nah.......there are no gluten sniffing dogs....yet!  With 20% of children who are dietary compliant but are not healed (villi) after one year (per the subject article), I think dogs could be a solution.  

 


Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read about a gluten sniffing dog probably 2 years ago so I Googled it. Apparently there are several now as well as those who say they can train them. Read on my friends:

http://www.willowceliacallergenservicedogs.com

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/09/22/gluten-detecting-dog-celiac/16070397/

I don't do Facebook but for those of you who do..... look for Elias the gluten sniffing dog

 


Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I know there are dogs for other food related things but I haven't heard of one for gluten yet.  

We'd still be in the weeds though with allergies, celiac and animal allergies :lol:

As long as they don't have gluten sniffing cats, I am good.  I am allergic to cats but not dogs. And yes.......I have a cat!  Isn't that always the way?  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

I read about a gluten sniffing dog probably 2 years ago so I Googled it. Apparently there are several now as well as those who say they can train them. Read on my friends:

http://www.willowceliacallergenservicedogs.com

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/09/22/gluten-detecting-dog-celiac/16070397/

I don't do Facebook but for those of you who do..... look for Elias the gluten sniffing dog

 

I have a plan when I retire to finally have another dog.  If he/she could sniff out gluten, what a bonus that would be!  Thank you for the link!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're welcome!:)


Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An article on children and healing (or not) after going gluten-free for a year.

http://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/View-Research-News/1394/postid--63311/


Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0