Fbmb

Visible inflammation in endoscopy

Rate this topic

Did anyone else have visible inflammation when they had their endoscopy before being officially diagnosed? I did, so my doctor checked for h-pylori also. I was negative for that. 

I thought the damage from celiac was only visible under a microscope. Is it normal to be able to see the inflammation? (Not the villi, obviously, but the inflammation).

Yes, I've read numerous people who had visible inflammation. You are correct about the villi only being able to be seen with pathology but inflammation can be seen during the endoscopy IF the inflammation is enough. Many times they can't see the inflammation visibly even though there is damage to the villi.

Did you go with the endo for your daughter today or decide to cancel? I've been thinking about you all day.

I just received my biopsy results, but immediately after the endoscopy and colonoscopy actually took place the surgeon came in, told me he could see visually that I had Celiac's, and showed me in photographs what the inflammation of my intestines looked like.  So I'd agree. Yes.

My GI said that her endoscope has enough magnification to see the villi, she saw visually that mine were blunted and the pathology report agreed.  I think she said she had to flush some water across the villi to get a good look at them, maybe to see how they moved?  and that not all GIs went to the trouble to do that.

Hi, i had my endoscopy yesterday and the doc said everything looked really red and inflamed and there was an ulcer. she didnt want to say anything definitive until the labs came back though. if not celiac, what else could it be?

thanks!

Edited by yogaandbacon

17 hours ago, yogaandbacon said:

Hi, i had my endoscopy yesterday and the doc said everything looked really red and inflamed and there was an ulcer. she didnt want to say anything definitive until the labs came back though. if not celiac, what else could it be?

thanks!

Read this about other conditions that can cause villi damage:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/

Keep us posted.  I know it is hard to wait for those lab tests!