This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test result help ??

fionafionafiona

fionafionafiona Rookie

Hallo could anyone help interpreting these results?? I know everyone on here must get asked this question a lot... so sorry to repeat! 

They appear negative but I understand they can often be misleading, especially after only a two week gluten challenge (since being gluten free for a month prior) - I wasn't gluten free for very long so would that still produce a false negative???

Results are:

tissue transglutaminase igG level = negative 

tissue transglutaminase igA level = 1.6 U/mol 

There doesn't seem to be a normal reference rate or the full panel of tests others refer to...

my symptoms were numbness in hands, face and legs since Jan. Gave up gluten and sugar in February and the numbness went away but gi problems which were not very noticeable before increased.

After one month gluten free, I completed 2 week gluten challenge and at the ends of two weeks was noticeably worse gi wise. That's was three weeks ago and still feel like I am  not improving :(.

Doctor has referred me for a gastro but any encouragement that it still could be gluten would be welcome. 

Thanks for for you help 

xxx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome.  Ah.....the test probably did not work.  You need to be consuming gluten daily 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood test and about 2 to 4 for the endoscopy.  Antibodies in the blood can drop as fast as two weeks.  They can take time to rebuild too.  You  really need ranges too.   Lab ranges vary, so we can tell if the result is positive or not.  

See the GI.  He may recommend a gluten challenge.  Re-introducing gluten can be hard, so being under a doctor's care is advised.  

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder like lupus or R. Arthritis except we know the trigger for flare-ups in Celiac disease -- gluten.  Once set-off, the flare can last for days or months.  Symptoms can take over a year to resolve depending on damage.  Learn more:

Open Original Shared Link

Make sure they ran an IgA deficiency test.  In the case of celiac disease it is used as a control test.  Looks like you had the standard screening.  If you consider a challenge ask for the complete panel to really rule out celiac disease.

I wish you well.  

Jmg Mentor
3 hours ago, fionafionafiona said:

Gave up gluten and sugar in February and the numbness went away but gi problems which were not very noticeable before increased.

After one month gluten free, I completed 2 week gluten challenge and at the ends of two weeks was noticeably worse gi wise. That's was three weeks ago and still feel like I am  not improving :(.

Doctor has referred me for a gastro but any encouragement that it still could be gluten would be welcome

Hi Fiona,

I was you 3 years ago! 

I also cut gluten out myself then realised what an impact it had and went to the doctor only to be told incorrect information that may have compromised the test :(

To save you wading through my thread, I went through a challenge and had a negative biopsy, but guess what, gluten was still the problem for me and cutting it out did the trick. So even if you go down the diagnostic route and get a negative, please don't discount gluten as the cause, you may be like me. 

I take it you've cut gluten out again since the test? If not, then much as you won't feel like it, I'd stay on it at least up until the gastro appointment.  That gives you the option of another test as he or she will realise the first one is invalid on a 2 week challenge. 

If you have cut out gluten then be prepared for the gastro asking you to go back on it and decide what your answer will be. If you do the challenge then there will be plenty of support here for you. :)

Best of luck! 

fionafionafiona Rookie

Thanks both! 

I have cut it out again .... I don't think I can face another challenge! I will try to be as strict as possible and see if I improve over the next month or so while waiting for gi and let that be my diagnosis.

Just really grateful for the internet and googling as this process has been realtivy short. Relieved the numbness seems controllable - just need to get the gi symptoms together 

Jmg Mentor
6 hours ago, fionafionafiona said:

I have cut it out again .... I don't think I can face another challenge!

Fair enough, I know exactly how you feel. :)

It would be a good idea to keep a food journal over the next few weeks, it's something to refer to when you prepare for your GI meeting and it's really useful for tracking progress or otherwise on the diet or nailing a potential source of gluten contamination. 

If you're sticking with the diet for the forseeable this is a good thread to check out:

And don't be afraid to ask on here, there's plenty of people with good experience who will offer support.

Best wishes :)

Archived