Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
1 1
Suzy82

B12 and Celiac

Rate this topic

I am getting tested for celiac in a few days, I have been on B12 vaccinations for over a year now, does anybody know if this will affect the test?

reading online it looks like I should have been tested for celiac when I got diagnosed with a B12 deficiency.

10 minutes ago, Suzy82 said:

I am getting tested for celiac in a few days, I have been on B12 vaccinations for over a year now, does anybody know if this will affect the test?

reading online it looks like I should have been tested for celiac when I got diagnosed with a B12 deficiency.

No, it will not affect your celiac testing, but it is CRITICAL that you are on a daily diet of gluten (1 to 2 slices of bread or equivalent about 8 to 12 weeks prior to the blood draw):

Read about the test here:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

I hope you feel better soon!  

Edited by cyclinglady

B12 deficiency is one symptom of celiac disease, but B12 supplements will not affect the testing.

As above, B12 won't affect celiac panel results, but the doctor reading the test results should be informed that you are taking monthly B12 injections (or at whatever interval you are taking them).

As was said before, B12 will have no effect on celiac test results.  Taking B12 and maintaining proper B12 levels is extremely important.  I did not want to have B12 injections, so I decided that I would take B12 supplements.  However, I found that a very small percentage of the supplements was actually being absorbed by my body.  I found a company that specializes in supplements that are being completely absorbed, and I have been taking those.

59 minutes ago, Chrismark said:

As was said before, B12 will have no effect on celiac test results.  Taking B12 and maintaining proper B12 levels is extremely important.  I did not want to have B12 injections, so I decided that I would take B12 supplements.  However, I found that a very small percentage of the supplements was actually being absorbed by my body.  I found a company that specializes in supplements that are being completely absorbed, and I have been taking those.

Yeah I found when I first started I did really poorly with the pill versions of vitamin supplements. I been using the liquid ones from Liquid Health. the Stress & Energy and the Neurological support one works well, being in liquid form and all and I can measure out my dose easier. No pills either to take and I can spread my dosing out over the day to avoid up and downs.