This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Food Intolerance Diet - Have Some Questions

artpop

artpop Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum (and diet) & have been having a lot of trouble trying to find foods I can eat based on the results I recently received after a food intolerance blood test.
Google isn't helping me answer all my questions, and my naturopath is on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so I was hoping some of you informed folk could help?

My main intolerances include:

• Dairy (cow, sheep, goat, casein)
  • Barley & wheat - (I am OK to eat gluten, durum, wheat bran, buckwheat, millet, rye, oats...)
  • Pea
  • Corn
  • Potato
  • Rice
  • Cashew nut & pistachio 
  • Yeast (brewer's) - baker's is fine
  • Bean (Red Kidney & White Haricot)
  • Egg white - (egg yolk is OK, and baked eggs are fine)
  • Orange
  • Cabbage (Savoy/White)
  • Mustard Seed

The odd thing is, I am okay to eat gluten (gliadin) itself, but eliminating wheat from my diet puts me on a gluten-free diet.
Does anyone know what kinds of flours are appropriate substitutions given my intolerances? (ie, sorghum, quinoa, semolina, spelt, etc.). Most places use rice, potato or corn as substitutions, all of which I think are safe to say I cannot have.

My list of questions of what I CAN eat, if anyone can help answer their groupings or categories:

• Baking powder
  • corn syrup, rice vinegar, sweet potatoes/squash 
  • lima, black, pinto, mung beans & chickpeas
  • quinoa & farro

It's been difficult trying to create a diet and figure out places I can safely dine out without having to worry.

Thanks so much for your help.
Cheers!

A

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Like my diet with reversed whites to yolks lol, except I avoid cabbage, fruits and for carb reasons not allergies and same reason I only eat cashews and pistachios in moderation also almonds are much cheaper (almonds make up most of my diet along with coconut and avocado). Stir Frys will be your best friends and stews, just make them with with what you can eat and season to taste. I cook with nut flours from almond and coconut myself. Heck I even make my own flat bread with egg whites and coconut. I imagine you can do it with yolks....if you crave dairy I have some cheese sauces you can make. MY poor mans version using coconut flour would go great with your issues and you can use macadamia or almond milk. I might suggest Simple Mills for bake mixes, they use nut basese and even corn free (I have a corn allergy) Rice....looks like that eliinates many of the premade yogurts even the dairy free ones normally use a bit of rice in them. I will think some more on your issues and get back to you when I can if anything comes to mind, I sorta of make a business for cooking for people with food issues as a chef lol. Good luck maybe this will give you some ideas oh for stir fry sauces look up coconut secret great stuff there. Meats and steamed veggies sounds like a great thing...I miss meats lol.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Have you considered ruling out celiac disease before eliminating so many foods?   I would hate for you to miss a critical diagnosis of celiac disease when it is just a simple blood test.  

Open Original Shared Link

Whitepaw Enthusiast

Are your test results just a list of foods?   Is there any info that shows you how severe your intolerance is to each?  And are these for-sure intolerances, or related food groups that may be intolerances?    

I'm wondering if you might be able to start with just the worst offenders. Sometimes intolerances are cumulative ... remove the worst and occasional mild ingestion of the others may not bother you. 

My allergist told me that once one stabilizes after a bout of intolerance, occasional small amounts are generally tolerated.

Jmg Mentor
On 7/17/2017 at 4:55 PM, artpop said:

I'm new to this forum (and diet) & have been having a lot of trouble trying to find foods I can eat based on the results I recently received after a food intolerance blood test.
Google isn't helping me answer all my questions, and my naturopath is on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so I was hoping some of you informed folk could help?

Hi and welcome :)

You don't mention the symptoms that have led you to food testing but CyclingLady's point is really important, if you've not excluded Celiac that should be your first move before embarking on a diet that excludes gluten. It's a lot easier to get tested now than remove it and then go back on it for tests. 

I also agree with Whitepaw, if gluten was a problem for you it's possible you'd be able to reintroduce other food groups after some time. That would make your diet a lot easier.  Then there are other things you could investigate, Fodmaps, Candida etc all of which can irritate the gut. 

However to your immediate question. If you look online for Paleo recipes you'll find they already remove a lot of the foods on your forbidden list. Then simply swap out any ingredients you can't handle with some you can.  You can access a lot of recipes here: Open Original Shared Link and use the special diets filter to remove dairy, eggs and gluten :)

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Welcome besides JMG's  paleo suggestion I also utilize AIP and Whole30 recipes as well. Those 3 can get you started. I've heard others also check out  SCD recipes as well.

as for flours can you have/use chickpeas, coconut, and almond. Sometimes it easiest in the newly intolerance stage to just avoid flours and baked treats for several weeks. Just focus on basic foods with fresh , simple, minimal ingredients. 

I found gluten is the portal to my other intolerances. I had 8 in addition to gluten after my challenge . Now I believe I am at 3 , 10 months later. If corn is a problem ( I know they said you can have baking powder) many baking powders cut it with / have corn starch I react . I react to very small amount of corn derived ingredients (meaning proteins are removed so in theory ones immune system should not react. My body reacts to differ on that one.)

despite having a list of your intolerances I suggest to also keep a food dairy too for if it's not a top 8 allergan that requires labeling your body will quickly detect it , give you a characteristic symptoms and by golly you'll call and discover your allergen is in there despite it not being labeled. Those trace amounts gotta love em my body has been its own trace amount forensic food detective for the last 10 months.

good luck

Archived