Jump to content
Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
  • Sign Up
2 2
Fbmb

9 month follow up labs tomorrow...

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Im having my TTG/Iga drawn tomorrow for my 9 month follow up. I had them drawn initially in September and they were >100. I was officially diagnosed with my biopsy on November 8 and stopped eating gluten that day. My GI doctor wanted me to repeat my TTG in January, and it was 12. He wanted it done again 6 months later, which is now. So I'm doing that tomorrow and I'm nervous.

The TTG was the only lab I had done before my biopsy. My number was so high that my doctor didn't see the point in ordering other labs. He just did the biopsy and sure enough, 3b. I asked his nurse if I need any other labs done now besides the TTG and she said that he said no. He just wants that. 

So that's what I'm going to do. I'm feeling ok, but my body was compensating so well before that I don't know if I would have symptoms now if I ate gluten. I'm so careful all the time. I have no reason to think my number won't be lower than it was in January, but I'm anxious. 

I guess I'm just letting out my anxiety here, because you guys get it. Wish me luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need luck because you've been so very careful & conscientious. Your numbers will come back great!

But I'll wish you luck anyway & tell you to stop being anxious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

You don't need luck because you've been so very careful & conscientious. Your numbers will come back great!

But I'll wish you luck anyway & tell you to stop being anxious.

 

You're the best :) I hope the TTG/iga alone is ok. My doctor said it is. I'm trying this new thing where I don't second guess or argue with my doctor. It's tough for a sass like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

Hi all,

Im having my TTG/Iga drawn tomorrow for my 9 month follow up. I had them drawn initially in September and they were >100. I was officially diagnosed with my biopsy on November 8 and stopped eating gluten that day. My GI doctor wanted me to repeat my TTG in January, and it was 12. He wanted it done again 6 months later, which is now. So I'm doing that tomorrow and I'm nervous.

The TTG was the only lab I had done before my biopsy. My number was so high that my doctor didn't see the point in ordering other labs. He just did the biopsy and sure enough, 3b. I asked his nurse if I need any other labs done now besides the TTG and she said that he said no. He just wants that. 

So that's what I'm going to do. I'm feeling ok, but my body was compensating so well before that I don't know if I would have symptoms now if I ate gluten. I'm so careful all the time. I have no reason to think my number won't be lower than it was in January, but I'm anxious. 

I guess I'm just letting out my anxiety here, because you guys get it. Wish me luck. 

The ttg should tell you what you need to know at this point - that the gluten-free diet is working.  Don't get too down if  it isn't completely in the negative range.  It can take months or a year of very strict gluten-free to get it all the way down.  You usually figure that the first month to 2 months are a learning period and not completely gluten-free.... so it's really only 7 months.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kareng said:

The ttg should tell you what you need to know at this point - that the gluten-free diet is working.  Don't get too down if  it isn't completely in the negative range.  It can take months or a year of very strict gluten-free to get it all the way down.  You usually figure that the first month to 2 months are a learning period and not completely gluten-free.... so it's really only 7 months.

That's true. My doctor was telling me back in January that he expected to see a big drop if I'm doing well on the diet, and I was so nervous. But then when it came back at 12 (we got the result together in his office) he was elated. He said, "This is a significant decrease!" So my hope is that it's lower than 12 now. But I was over the moon in January. I figure I'm doing better with my diet now than I was then because there's such a huge learning curve. Labcorps does my labs and their range is 0-3, so 12 was elevated but considering it was >100 when I was diagnosed 2 months earlier I was happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be fine.  Karen is right, it can take time,  lots of time for antibodies to come down.  So, do not beat yourself up, if they are still not "normal".  

?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2

×