This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety and Wheat

CrisD

CrisD Newbie
  • Hello,

I'm new to this site, so forgive me if this is repeat question/issue (I looked at previous threads and didn't see a related topic right away).

I am not celiac but wanted to reach out to people who are, in hopes that someone can provide me with some information regarding Wheat and Anxiety.

A little back story, I've dealt with anxiety on and off for years.  I am not on any medication and deal with anxiety and panic attacks are it happens (not too often, thankfully).

So, my issue is wheat - I find I am lethargic, bloated and feel gross after eating pasta, rice, bread, etc.  I don’t even really enjoy these foods but most are the foundation of all meals I eat regularly, and because once I stop eating them, my anxiety rears its ugly head.

I stopped eating wheat for about a month on 2 separate occasions.  I felt AMAZING!!  I increased my protein and veggie intake, I had so much energy, I stayed full longer, I slept better, I didn't crave snacks in the evening, I just felt incredible.  I was NEVER bloated, I lost weight, the puffiness in my face went away - EXCEPT my anxiety went CRAZY within a few weeks!  I had a panic attack and was riddled with anxiety for days and it started to rule my life.  I eventually started to eat wheat again to see if it would calm my anxiety, and it did.

I've read that, yes, cutting out wheat could increase anxiety, I've also read it actually can ease your anxiety.  Sadly, since eating wheat again, I've put on weight, I feel awful physically, I'm tired all the time but I'm terrified to cut back on wheat because the anxiety and panic is debilitating.

Has anyone dealt with this?  How did you manage it?  Does it work it's self out if I push through and continue to avoid wheats? HELP!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

First were you tested for Celiac? Second have you considered NCGS as a issue? Some test negative but have many of the issues assoisied with celiac disease and reactions to gluten. Before getting off we tell anyone to go ahead and get tested while your still eating it. A gluten challenge later will be utter hell, and the reassurance of a issue can help you stick to the diet, get you help in various areas, and give you a bit of a road map of you life, body, and other issues.

If you have panic attacks a few weeks off wheat, this is withdrawal, yes like a drug. This is quite common for almost everyone, sort of hit it on week 2-4 and it can last weeks, everything that happens with a drug withdrawal check you symptoms you will see they match up when you stop for awhile once over that hill it is great and you life changes for the better if you react badly to wheat.  

To help deal with these issues I normally suggest Natural Vitality Calm Magnesium in small doses starting at 1/4 tsp working up to a dose that works for you over a week or two, and using Liquid Health Stress & Energy these can help with the stress and anxiety, I also take Neurological support from Liquid health, using both formulas 1 tbsp each 3 times a day has been part of my regime for over 4 years.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Here's an article that might help explain the connection between wheat and anxiety.

Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps.

Victoria1234 Experienced
12 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Here's an article that might help explain the connection between wheat and anxiety.

Hope this helps.

This article is fascinating! Thank you. Every person with any reaction to wheat should read it.

Joyful joanna Rookie

Everything you are saying is indicative of celiac disease. Empirically speaking.

I had three weeks of the worse anxiety I had ever had following giving up gluten. It was like a horrible withdrawal. My insides felt like they were shaking and I jumped at the slighted noise. It began to subside after three weeks and I emerged from it feeling better than I had in 40 years. Hang in there, it sounds like gluten withdrawal and it does go away eventually. My body was reacting to not getting any gluten. But, it was worth it.

I have been gluten free for a year and a half. I cleaned out my pantry, sterilized my kitchen and have learned to cook and bake gluten free and make easy delicious and nutritious meals and food for myself and my husband who eats glutenfree meals I make. Gluten free is an adjustment and a definite learning curve, but you can do it! I also have an autoimmune reaction to the wheat of the sea, seaweed products. They are putting carreggnan in everything. You might be sensitive to that too. It is made with seaweed as is MSG.

DO NOT EAT AT THE CHEESECAKE FACTORY! I got glutenated there off the gluten free menu with specific instructions to the chef about preparing my meal as I am a celiac. Worst autoimmune reaction I have ever had eating out. That is my biggest challenge. Hardly anyone understands celiac disease in the restsurant industry. 

Try going gluten free again after you have had the testing done. Just know that your anxiety may worsen with gluten withdrawal, but then it will get better! Good luck.

stacieb Apprentice

after I gave up gluten, my knee they said I would need surgery on, didn't hurt anymore. the rotator cuff they said I would need surgery on, didn't hurt anymore. my digestive problems were gone. I didn't visit the bathroom over and over with cramps and diarrhea. I felt great. a few months later I started having other problems. weak, shaking, real bad. doc did full panel blood test and everything is normal. yet it kept getting worse. missing a lot of work. 

they told me it was anxiety. I have anxiety, I know what that feels like. butterfly stomach, chest pain. this was different. though after they told me this was anxiety, I started having daily all day anxiety attacks.  first they upped my dose of paxil, that didn't work. so they added another anxiety med, didn't help, it kept getting worse. 

I have no Idea what is going on, but I cant live with this debilitating anxiety for much longer, i have missed so much work i am probly gonna get fired, which just fuels the anxiety. what am I to do????

Ennis-TX Grand Master
17 minutes ago, stacieb said:

after I gave up gluten, my knee they said I would need surgery on, didn't hurt anymore. the rotator cuff they said I would need surgery on, didn't hurt anymore. my digestive problems were gone. I didn't visit the bathroom over and over with cramps and diarrhea. I felt great. a few months later I started having other problems. weak, shaking, real bad. doc did full panel blood test and everything is normal. yet it kept getting worse. missing a lot of work. 

they told me it was anxiety. I have anxiety, I know what that feels like. butterfly stomach, chest pain. this was different. though after they told me this was anxiety, I started having daily all day anxiety attacks.  first they upped my dose of paxil, that didn't work. so they added another anxiety med, didn't help, it kept getting worse. 

I have no Idea what is going on, but I cant live with this debilitating anxiety for much longer, i have missed so much work i am probly gonna get fired, which just fuels the anxiety. what am I to do????

Magnesium and a Full spectrum B-vitamin supplement geared for stress.....Honestly most gluten based foods are sprayed and fortified with the stuff. So going gluten free means you need a more varied diet to still get them. Top it off with when you have celiac you have asorboation issues with these.

Magnesium there are 2 top options. 1. If you have constipation with it we suggest Natural Vitality Calm and starting off small dose at 1/4 tsp twice a day and slowly upping it to the full dose over a week or two or til you get loose stools. If this one gives you issues we suggest Doctors Best Magnesium and just going with the full dose. These help with nerves, joints, and muscles issues.  Amazon has best pricing on these

B-Vitamins I suggest a combination of Liquid Health Stress & Energy and using Liquid Health Neurological Support I use 1 tbsp each 3 times a day personally. Lucky Vitamin has the best pricing here.

I also found snacking on foods that promote calmness, brain function, and saratonin help. Pumpkin Seeds/protein, Hemp seeds/protein, and cocoa nibs. You have to be careful on the brands used here. I suggest whole seeds going to GERBS allergen Friendly Foods, Powders Oregon Seed Oil Co. for pumpkin and jarrow for hemp. Cocoa nibs I just use Crio Bru ground nibs as a snack base/topping and mix it with a sugar free sweetener as a base.

OH for emergency panic attacks I have a vape pen with CBD gold oil in it that seems to work great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knitty kitty Grand Master
6 hours ago, stacieb said:

It might be Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. MCAS is when your defensive cells go overboard and react to every little thing.  I react to many medications because of MCAS.

And it might be vitamin deficiencies.  Low vitamin D can cause anxiety, as can deficiencies of some B vitamins, like B 12, niacin (B3), folate and thiamine (B1).  

Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies.  The eight B vitamins are water soluble and need to be replenished every day.  They aren't stored in the body very long.  You may not be getting enough B vitamins from your gluten free diet because of poor absorption (your intestines are probably still healing) or because gluten free versions of foods aren't enriched with vitamins like their gluten containing counterparts.  

Check with your doctor to rule out deficiencies.

Hope this helps.

BlackShoesBlackSocks Enthusiast

l have a generalized anxiety disorder diganosis from around 06.

l never felt like l fit into the anxiety disorders even though l was obsessive all my life, l actually do think l had a brief display of OCD behaviors around 5th grade.

It really did hit to the point l had a few single panic attacks which l'd never had before around 20. l would say since, l feel very 'broadly' anxious which in some ways feels like my normal self so it's hard to tell if gluten is a factor. l probably no longer fit into the GAD criteria, no meds  or coping methods.

Actually l have had less morning anxiety only almost 2 weeks gluten free. Mornings have always been weird for me and l started drinking caffeine in middle school. For me it helps, anxiety seems kind of like a byproduct of brain to me maybe?

l will never give up caffeine but l have been waking feeling like it's not the first thing l think about to curb all the anxiety rushing in, l normally need to filter things pretty heavily until around noon, regardless of waking up early or not.

But l have also had a few brief panicky moments.

Archived