This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened by Tate's cookies?

Crumbsaremykryptonite

Crumbsaremykryptonite Newbie

Newly diagnosed but ttg has normalized so I know I'm doing the gluten-free diet right.  Having mild gluten symptoms for past week and only thing I can think of new I tried are Tate's gluten-free Choc Chip Cookies.  Anyone gotten sick after eating them? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master
27 minutes ago, Crumbsaremykryptonite said:

Newly diagnosed but ttg has normalized so I know I'm doing the gluten-free diet right.  Having mild gluten symptoms for past week and only thing I can think of new I tried are Tate's gluten-free Choc Chip Cookies.  Anyone gotten sick after eating them? 

Ingredients: Semi-sweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lecithin (an emulsifier), vanilla, natural flavor), Rice flour, Butter, Brown sugar, Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla extract, Baking soda, Salt, Xanthan gum, and Water

Many Celiacs have to remove dairy from their diet for a few months as the enzymes that break down dairy are introduced to the system by the tips of the villi which are damaged by the disease.
Many Celiacs develop a intolerance to Xantham Gum....the stuff is made from black mold anyway.

Please read over the Newbie 101 section you might have missed a source of CC in your house like crumbs in condiment jars, scratched cookware, colanders, CCed spices etc. It is important you avoid eating out also for awhile and cooking  all your own meals, whole foods are best.

notme Experienced

tate's are my favorite!  i'd be looking at the soy lecithin/chocolate or eggs or dairy if you had cookies with milk.  you might want to keep a food journal to figure out what other foods are a problem right now until you heal up a bit.  many of us had to remove some other foods for awhile.  i have gotten to add almost everything back into my diet.  still have to be careful with soy  - i can have SOME but not alot.  good luck!   and welcome to the club you never wanted to join ;)

• 7 months later...
sugarpop Rookie

I just recently has Tate's gluten free chocolate chip cookies and after 3 days of eating 2 cookies a day I was very sick. Three days is the usual time it takes for me to get ill generally. I can't see any ingredient on that list that I haven't eaten or don't eat regularly without any problem. And it's a real bummer because they're good! I've tried them twice, same result. 

• 4 months later...
mbrookes Community Regular

I eat Tate's frequently with never any problem. Be aware Tate's makes a gluten full version of their cookies. Maybe you picked up the wrong bag. They are side-by-side in my grocery store. 

sugarpop Rookie
2 hours ago, mbrookes said:

I eat Tate's frequently with never any problem. Be aware Tate's makes a gluten full version of their cookies. Maybe you picked up the wrong bag. They are side-by-side in my grocery store. 

No they were the gluten free version but I've been noticing many prebaked gluten free items make me sick lately. I may just be sensitive to something else they use. When I bake my own I'm fine, so I guess I'll be baking!

• 2 months later...
anonymousplease Apprentice

https://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/contamination-of-naturally-guten-free-grains/

I read this recently and it explained why I get glutened by baked goods consistently. Even when I make them myself with certified gluten free flours. I get sick from Tate's too. It's not a full blown gluten attack, usually it's pretty minor, but I never feel good after eating Tate's. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
5 hours ago, Ali Rae said:

https://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/contamination-of-naturally-guten-free-grains/

I read this recently and it explained why I get glutened by baked goods consistently. Even when I make them myself with certified gluten free flours. I get sick from Tate's too. It's not a full blown gluten attack, usually it's pretty minor, but I never feel good after eating Tate's. 

Tate’s are gluten free (gluten-free).  All their gluten free cookies are made in a dedicated gluten-free facility and are tested to under 5ppm.

https://www.tatesbakeshop.com/faq/

Your reaction?  It was most likely an intolerance to Xanthan Gum or another ingredient in the cookie and not one that activates celiac disease.    I have celiac disease and personally can not consume Xanthan Gum which is found in most gluten-free processed breads, crackers and cookies.   That often leaves me to bake my own baked goods.   Keep in mind that Tate’s gluten-free cookies are still “junk” food packed with sugar and carbs.  Not exactly healthy, but sure nice to indulge in occasionally.  

The article?  It is almost 10 years old and a bit dated.   It was about flours  that are in theory gluten free naturally and were labeled gluten free as a result.  But flours can be cross contaminated.  This was a huge problem back in 2010 before the FDA set up gluten-free labeling guidelines as to what constitutes gluten free.  Purchase four that has been labeled gluten-free today and it should be under 20 ppm.  Purchase a certified gluten-free flour for piece of mind and it should be under 5 ppm (the lowest testing result you can get and no test can get to zero).  I use Pamela’s gluten-free flour mix because it does NOT have Xanthan Gum.  

Trisha Thompson is the best.  I strongly recommend her Gluten Free Website.  For a small monthly subscription, you can get reports on gluten-free products.  You can even request that she test a product of your choice.   It is like a mini Consumer Reports. Go Gluten Free Watchdog! 

• 1 month later...
anonymousplease Apprentice
On 4/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, cyclinglady said:

Tate’s are gluten free (gluten-free).  All their gluten free cookies are made in a dedicated gluten-free facility and are tested to under 5ppm.

https://www.tatesbakeshop.com/faq/

Your reaction?  It was most likely an intolerance to Xanthan Gum or another ingredient in the cookie and not one that activates celiac disease.    I have celiac disease and personally can not consume Xanthan Gum which is found in most gluten-free processed breads, crackers and cookies.   That often leaves me to bake my own baked goods.   Keep in mind that Tate’s gluten-free cookies are still “junk” food packed with sugar and carbs.  Not exactly healthy, but sure nice to indulge in occasionally.  

The article?  It is almost 10 years old and a bit dated.   It was about flours  that are in theory gluten free naturally and were labeled gluten free as a result.  But flours can be cross contaminated.  This was a huge problem back in 2010 before the FDA set up gluten-free labeling guidelines as to what constitutes gluten free.  Purchase four that has been labeled gluten-free today and it should be under 20 ppm.  Purchase a certified gluten-free flour for piece of mind and it should be under 5 ppm (the lowest testing result you can get and no test can get to zero).  I use Pamela’s gluten-free flour mix because it does NOT have Xanthan Gum.  

Trisha Thompson is the best.  I strongly recommend her Gluten Free Website.  For a small monthly subscription, you can get reports on gluten-free products.  You can even request that she test a product of your choice.   It is like a mini Consumer Reports. Go Gluten Free Watchdog! 

Hey thanks for your input. I appreciate the explanation and time spent writing it. I think its time for me to test for other allergies as well. 

• 4 months later...
Susie B. Newbie

I stay on a gluten free diet as well and always have problems with Taste's as well. If I resist more than 2 cookies I do fine but anymore I am sure to be effected horribly. Too bad as they are the only gluten free cookies I seem to like.