This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone with corn issues related to Celiac disease?

xst0rmsb0rnx

xst0rmsb0rnx Newbie

So my 7 month daughter is having issues with corn. I have Celiac and am nursing so she has never even been in contact with gluten. I read today during some research that corn can sometimes cause the same symptoms as gluten in a Celiac patient. If you have experienced with this please leave a comment with your symptoms. Diarrhea, upset stomach, rashes, vomiting? I want to see if there could be a possible correlation as I feel like my daughter is immunosuppressed but the allergist claims it is not an immune response to the corn. Anyone that has experience with their own children I would love to hear from you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Posterboy Mentor
3 hours ago, xst0rmsb0rnx said:

So my 7 month daughter is having issues with corn. I have Celiac and am nursing so she has never even been in contact with gluten. I read today during some research that corn can sometimes cause the same symptoms as gluten in a Celiac patient. If you have experienced with this please leave a comment with your symptoms. Diarrhea, upset stomach, rashes, vomiting? I want to see if there could be a possible correlation as I feel like my daughter is immunosuppressed but the allergist claims it is not an immune response to the corn. Anyone that has experience with their own children I would love to hear from you.

Stormy,

You should read this thread.

LilyR is reacting to Maltodexrin which is made from Corn.

I also recommend you read this research from Australia that might answer some of your auto-immune questions.

Open Original Shared Link

Your daughter's stomach acid could be low and the doctor's don't know or think to test for it.

See/quoting from the above research entitled "Digestive and Nutritional

Considerations in Celiac Disease: Could Supplementation Help?" read it all when you get a chance.

"One study found allergenic anti-gens were reduced up to 10,000-fold by adequate gas-tric acid. Subjects on acid-blocking medications were

also 10.5 times more susceptible to IgE-mediated food

reactions, with an elevation in IgE antibodies remaining

five months after a three-month course of acid blocker

therapy."

Which explains to me why people with low stomach acid often have auto-immune reactions to several proteins.

Commonly called 'cross reacitivity' up to and including Corn in some Celiac's and why other food allergens are common triggers in Celiacs' including the common dairy (Lactose) allergy and soy etc.

I hope this helpful.

*****this is not medical advice but I have found when I treated my low stomach acid many of my GI problems got better.

At least now your doctor and you will know to check for it as a possible co-morbid condition.

good luck on your continued journey.  I had GI problems as kid and all my life really until I found out Pellagra also occurs in Celiac's and if your daughter has issues with Corn that is the medical definition of Pellagra.

Your daughter may have also terrible diaper rash/eczema if she is low in Niacin here is the research about the skin presentations of low Niacinamide.

Open Original Shared Link

(She may or may not) but it is something too also look for and you might have developed Heartburn/GERD/IBS from your pregnancy that has not gone away now that you have  had your child.

Here is a thread about Celiac disease in/with a Pregnancy.

Again I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advice just things that I wish I knew 30+ years ago.

2 Timothy 2: 7 “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things” this included.

Posterboy by the Grace of God,

Martin-0123 Rookie
On 5/18/2018 at 2:32 AM, xst0rmsb0rnx said:

I've recently started eating something that resembles 'baked bread' (except it's not truly bread cause it's made without yeast), and it's made from corn flour and baking powder that contains corn starch instead of gluten. I thought corn flour products were safe for celiacs, but I guess I was wrong. For me the symptoms start immediate and start with heavy bloating, which leaves me gasping for air at times, and improper digestion afterwards.

The reason behind that is due to the starch in the corn and our inability to digest it properly due to our 'gluten damaged' intestines. Also, I wasn't aware of this at first, but my blood test from a week ago showed intolerance to soy as well. This was a real blow for me because the corn flour I used for making pancakes and bread, despite being gluten-free, DID contain soy!

Haven't had any experience with actual corn, however, because it's out of season here and last year, which was the last time I ate some, I was still figuring out what was wrong with me.

Archived