This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Questions about health

Joepilk

Joepilk Apprentice

I been on a gluten free diet for about 2 weeks or more and it’s seems like after i eat or sometimes at random i get this wierd feeling of being dizzy and lightheaded and also after i eat it feels like i have heighten anxiety even though what I’m eating is gluten free and sometimes my face gets red is that normal symptoms ? And also sometimes i can press down on diffrent spots in my stomach it seems sore and it seems like i never get hungry is it just celiac or could it be something more like overgrowth of bacteria or something 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Have you been diagnosed with celiac disease?  If not, consider getting back on gluten and get tested.  Learn about testing:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Honestly, your symptoms could be attributed to many illnesses.  I hope you figure it out.  

Joepilk Apprentice

Yes i have been diagnosed with celiac and been gluten free for more than 2 weeks

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced
13 hours ago, Joepilk said:

I been on a gluten free diet for about 2 weeks or more and it’s seems like after i eat or sometimes at random i get this wierd feeling of being dizzy and lightheaded and also after i eat it feels like i have heighten anxiety even though what I’m eating is gluten free and sometimes my face gets red is that normal symptoms ? And also sometimes i can press down on diffrent spots in my stomach it seems sore and it seems like i never get hungry is it just celiac or could it be something more like overgrowth of bacteria or something  

Yes, I spent many years from age 11 on up, light headed and dizzy not knowing it was Celiac.  I get dizzy/lightheaded from eating full on gluten,(among other symptoms) cc, and environmentally when I have been damaged and my gut is a mess and my immune system is in full on attack mode.  During healing I only went to stores without a bakery on premise. My husband had to shop at the stores with a bakery on premise, since I would get dizzy 5 aisles from the bakery, then my olfactory senses would smell cinnamon churros, buns, pizza etc. I would get a flood of mucus and a major cough on the way home, often losing my voice along with my joint and muscle aches, light headiness, and headaches.  It took me awhile to catch on. Even now I try to shop when the bakery is not in full swing, or I take the long way around the store. I am only 26 months post challenge healing. Better but no where near my best.

I get flushing from my gluten and corn intolerance. You say it is your face. My face flushes and particularly notable for me is my upper chest below neck does. This is a major DH spot for me now when it use to be just my elbows, arms, buttocks that flared. This summer it was my chest and elbows that flared with itching everywhere even without the DH when some fish from the store was cc.

My opinion on the anxiety is it is your natural interpretation (or others) to the symptoms that are unfolding. Your brain tries to interpret and make sense of it. Also at some part in your life when you describe your symptoms someone suggested or labeled it anxiety and well now you tell yourself your anxious. Now when you eat you say oh no I have anxiety. Instead you should ask if I know it is gluten free am I reacting to something else or am I stressed about gluten around me? Many of us do get anxiety, but more so the intolerant body is reacting to the food and our brain is trying to make sense of it. Some of the anxiety strategies work to calm you down, deep breaths etc. So feel free to use them if they help. Is it clinical anxiety only a psychiatrist can say, but I wish many saw former labeled mood disordered Celiac's pre and post diagnosis because I suspect they may see a difference clinically. :) 

Did your Dr's tell you some of us get additional food intolerances? I got racing pulse after my gluten challenge when I drank cows milk. I now drink homemade almond milk, because store bought brands contain corn derivatives another intolerance that unzips my gi integrity as well and causes brain, nerve , and other issues for me. So I had to suggest you may not have the full picture yet. Also you have some healing to go.

I do not consider myself anxious in a clinical sense now that my issues have finally been diagnosed in my 40's, but I do see how my pediatrician told my mom that the symptoms I begged her to take me to the Dr for  at 5 he considered just my nature/just me/personality etc. as a child. He did not label my anxious, but told my mom strategies to calm me down or distract me. I now know I was eating things then that caused the symptoms I have now and then some. Decades undiagnosed took more a toll on me and I have a plethora more now. Alas I do my best to accept those undiagnosed, misdiagnosed years, and do my best to embrace my finally known condition.

As for the pressing down pain and not eating, normal also in my experience. I had stabbing pains and swollen organs for months after. My gallbladder was out of commission for months. A celiac chiropractor/TCM practitioner is my source of relief. I was tested negative for other issues bacteria etc with my scopes, but I do find homemade water kiefer as a source of safe probiotic for my gi. I have to be careful with supplemental probiotics due to gluten cc or corn ingredients. As for not being hungry I spent the first several months blending foods to smoothie like consistency as sometimes real food was painful on the organs. So from my experience and viewpoint all you are experiencing are possible as a newly diagnosed Celiac.

I am glad you found out what ails you and you have joined us here. This community has helped me immensely learn what I had wrong and how to do it right. Welcome, keep reading, and learning. 

Most of all best wishes on your path to healing.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome to the club you never wanted to join!  ?

It sounds like your current symptoms are due to celiac disease.  It just takes time to heal.  It also takes time to really master the gluten free diet.  It takes time to identify additional food intolerances that may resolve once you have healed or not. 

Expect symptoms to last for a few more weeks, months, or even a year.  It all depends on your diet and how fast you heal. Remember, even though you have gone gluten free for two weeks, your body may still be producing antibodies.  When will those stop?  Who knows?  Everyone heals at a different pace.  The gluten free diet has a steep learning curve, so it is best to avoid eating out and stick to non-processed foods.  Choose whole, plain foods.  Again, do not eat out until you are feeling better!  Keep a food journal.  Many celiacs are temporarily lactose intolerant, so avoiding dairy might be good for a few weeks.  

Hang in there!  

Archived