This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overweight And Celiacs

krackers

Rusla Enthusiast

Ursula... your husband is a donut head. He is like the doctors, he just doesn't get it. I want to smack people over the head when they are so dense and stupid. The reason I don't,is because I know with their hollow heads that would probably cave their heads in. I know you wish he would have to live through what you are living through. There are so many who need to live through things, that way it makes them more tolerant.

At one point in my life I almost ended up in a wheelchair. Out of pure stubborness I was not going to let that happen. I live with 24 hour a day pain, there are some things I can't do anymore but I don't let it stand in the way of anything else and sitting cross-legged is not that important to me. The whole thing is it showed me a world I did not know and I became very vocal about things that were not handicapped accessible. I know at any moment that things you are used to doing can be snatched away from you.

Unfortunately some people need to be more tolerant of many things. The last safe prejudice in the world, is to have one against someone of size. Therefore, those who think we are faking this or poo pooing it need to have a taste of it, some people go through life far too easy. Then there are others who get more than their share of things they should not have. I think

sometimes it is given to those people because, the universe knows they are more compassionate and can adjust and handle these things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I hear you when it comes to wheelchairs. I broke my right ankle almost four years ago (Apr. 11th, 2002), and it took a very long time to heal. It is still not fine, and never will be. The combination of that ankle and the fibromyalgia was so bad, that I didn't go to a mall until just recently, because I simply couldn't walk far enough. I have a handicapped parking permit that is good to July 2007.

But since I am gluten-free, and especially with finding out my other intolerances, things are looking up. I WALKED downtown (a 20 minute walk) twice in a week! I haven't been able to do that in years. Maybe I can take my youngest to the zoo this summer! The last time I was there must be over ten years ago, because I simply didn't have the energy. And I used to go every year, because I love the zoo.

Guest nini

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/may...ni/im000668.webp

Just had to come in and brag and jump for joy and go OMG!!!!!!

A friend of mine took me shopping today because she said I didn't realize just how much weight I had lost and that I needed to buy SMALLER clothes.

Here's me in an outfit that when it was hanging on the rack I said "THERE IS NO WAY THAT WILL FIT, IT'S TOO SMALL!!!!"

and yes you can see my bra through the sweater (It's designed like that!)

jerseyangel Proficient

Nini--Girl, you look great! You have good reason to jump for joy--I know you were a bit concerned about the weight loss, but after looking at your face in the picture, I think you look healthy--your face does not have that "sunken" look at all that can come from losing too much too fast in an unhealthy way. I say it's all doing what it's supposed to be doing and you should just enjoy it :D . PS--I'm going to have another look at the post you made earlier about what you eat in a typical day, and see if I can get some of this weight of mine to fall off!

Guest nini
Nini--Girl, you look great! You have good reason to jump for joy--I know you were a bit concerned about the weight loss, but after looking at your face in the picture, I think you look healthy--your face does not have that "sunken" look at all that can come from losing too much too fast in an unhealthy way. I say it's all doing what it's supposed to be doing and you should just enjoy it :D . PS--I'm going to have another look at the post you made earlier about what you eat in a typical day, and see if I can get some of this weight of mine to fall off!

thank you so much for the feedback! I just e-mailed my dad that picture and he called me immediately to say "who is that skinny woman you e-mailed me the picture of?" When I last saw him in Florida last April, I was in a size 18... this is me in a size 10 now!!!!!

I'm not as worried today as I was last night, I think I was just having a moment of anxiety, like thinking "this is too good to be true, there must be a downside to this weightloss!"

jerseyangel Proficient
:) That's cool about your Dad!
Guest nini

my dad is also trying to see if going gluten free will help him with his health issues. He's been trying for a while to convert to a gluten-free diet, but since he doesn't really believe he has Celiac or gluten intolerance, and won't go get tested for it, He's not that committed to the diet yet. BUT, during our talk tonight he said that after seeing the difference it has made in me, he is going to give it 100% and see if it will help. He said nothing else has helped him lose weight. He's very active but is definitely overweight. I know he'd feel so much better if he could lose the weight.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

That's great! I wish him much luck with the diet and hope it helps him with his weight and his overall health. Keep us posted on how he does--and he has a very experienced coach!

ianm Apprentice

Looking good Nini.

Guest nini
Looking good Nini.

Thank you All!!! I feel so "fashion" as my daughter puts it...

Nancym Enthusiast
my dad is also trying to see if going gluten free will help him with his health issues. He's been trying for a while to convert to a gluten-free diet, but since he doesn't really believe he has Celiac or gluten intolerance, and won't go get tested for it, He's not that committed to the diet yet. BUT, during our talk tonight he said that after seeing the difference it has made in me, he is going to give it 100% and see if it will help. He said nothing else has helped him lose weight. He's very active but is definitely overweight. I know he'd feel so much better if he could lose the weight.

That's wonderful! You know, sometimes I think people just have no idea what they would eat without gluten. I have thought perhaps supplying someone like that with a weeks worth of possible menus might be valuable.

Usually when you find a food intolerance the first thing you think is "But what can I eat"? With the general panic that sets in right afterwards. I know when I was looking at the SCD diet that was going through my head, fortunately the book had a lot of menu plans and recipes.

Guest nini
That's wonderful! You know, sometimes I think people just have no idea what they would eat without gluten. I have thought perhaps supplying someone like that with a weeks worth of possible menus might be valuable.

Usually when you find a food intolerance the first thing you think is "But what can I eat"? With the general panic that sets in right afterwards. I know when I was looking at the SCD diet that was going through my head, fortunately the book had a lot of menu plans and recipes.

yeah, I know my dad is so set in his ways that he's really unsure of how to eat gluten free, but he's trying, and my stepmom is an excellent cook AND very concious about trying to keep everything gluten free. My dad's symptoms have ranged from being overweight, to epilepsy, severe hypertension, unexplained rashes, IBS, and GERD... I am convinced that BOTH of my parents have issues with gluten, I wish my mom would try the diet as well. My sister too...

Miki Newbie
Has anyone out there in celiac land had the experience of being overweight as one of their symptoms? and how long did it take to get down to a normal weight?

I have found that before I found out that I had Celiac, that it was very easy for my body to gain weight. I also believe that it's the body's way of trying to find a comfortable weight in able to have a totally different diet. It took me months to get off all the weight that I had gained.

yeah, I know my dad is so set in his ways that he's really unsure of how to eat gluten free, but he's trying, and my stepmom is an excellent cook AND very concious about trying to keep everything gluten free. My dad's symptoms have ranged from being overweight, to epilepsy, severe hypertension, unexplained rashes, IBS, and GERD... I am convinced that BOTH of my parents have issues with gluten, I wish my mom would try the diet as well. My sister too...

My mom's side of the family all died of stomach cancer. Which was most likely Celiac Disease. My Grandma won't get off of bread if her life depended on it. But I think if the person who has celiac and goes forth with it, then other's can follow.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Wow, Nini, thanks for the picture! Right now I'm a size 20 (down from 22 three months ago), but had several setbacks that stopped the weightloss. Now that I figured out the other intolerances, I am losing weight again.

I hope to show a picture of me being skinny in a year (or at least a size 14).

Guest nini
Wow, Nini, thanks for the picture! Right now I'm a size 20 (down from 22 three months ago), but had several setbacks that stopped the weightloss. Now that I figured out the other intolerances, I am losing weight again.

I hope to show a picture of me being skinny in a year (or at least a size 14).

you'll get there! I'm still in shock actually!

Rusla Enthusiast

Nini...Good for you, you look good. If I was that size again I could wear almost everything in the closet. I accidently got glutened this weekend and ended up bloating up to 5 lbs. I still don't know what did it.

krackers Newbie

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey everybody

thanks for the responses. it means so much to hear other people's stories. being overweight and lethargic and down right unhappy is awful. especially when you think of the years lost to being a celiac. i am still coming to terms with the illness, but the benefits are so awsome. looking and feeling better and slowly but surely losing weight. there really is nothing worse that a big fat bloated belly - and yes everyone around you wondering how you got so fat. actually i think to most of my friends and family it was obvious - i would eat and eat and eat.. i was so hungry. and at the same time if and when i did start working out and eating really healthy nothing changed. now i eat gluten-free and whatever i want and i am losing pretty consistently. the next step is getting into a exercise routine now that i actually have enough energy to go around the block.

oh ya i had a baby three months ago and was diagnosed while i was pregnant.

phew....

• 3 weeks later...
skurtz Explorer

up until I was 32 after 2 kids I was terribley underweight at 108 the only time I could gain weight was when I was pregnant, then I would go right back to 108. At 33 had hysterectomy Im now 40 & im At the other end & i cant lose any weight. (im about 40-45lbs overweight) hopefully when I start back on gluten free diet Ill be able to lose.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robbin

Nisla, Do you eat potatoes and rice? I am overweight (5'5" 220lbs) and need to figure this out. I was thin as a child, overweight in jr. high, thin in high school and gained a ton when pregnant and just kept on getter sicker and fatter since. I've been eating potatoes alot and rice but am wondering if maybe I shouldn't? I have lost ten pounds since starting gluten-free though. So, I guess I was wondering what a typical day's meals are like for you, and do you have hypoglycemia problems? Thanks!

Guest stef 4 dogs
thank you so much for the feedback! I just e-mailed my dad that picture and he called me immediately to say "who is that skinny woman you e-mailed me the picture of?" When I last saw him in Florida last April, I was in a size 18... this is me in a size 10 now!!!!!

I'm not as worried today as I was last night, I think I was just having a moment of anxiety, like thinking "this is too good to be true, there must be a downside to this weightloss!"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one gaining weight being gluten free! Maybe I'm not as gluten free as I thought after hearing some of these stories! Sure would ease my mind theres a reason my nick name is "pudge". Like I have said before....I should loose weight just from my thighs burning up from rubbing together! I seem to have a stamina problem. I think I'm gonna start to exerecise and I just can't keep up the energy to keep going. So okay I keep saying one day of a work out should help right? HAHA

Stef 4 Dogs B)

Heather22 Rookie

I just thought that I should post own experience with gluten free weight gain to offer some hope for all of you gluten gainers.

When I was diagnosed, I was 125 lbs and a few months later I was up to 160. My eating habits did not change much (portion-wise), but I still gained a ton of weight. I am also very much into weight lifting and running. I should mention that I am on the extreme end of the spectrum - - I am insanely sensitive and I am convinced that I have the worst digestive system in the world.

So, I decided to be as strict as possible, only eating chicken, egg whites, brown rice, vegetables and some homemade yogurt - - no exceptions. I also increased my cardio. Surely enough weight started coming off and I got back to my "normal" weight. My point being, that it is not impossible to get back into it. The biggest part is getting into a routine and sticking with it! No food tastes as good as looking (and feeling good) feels. I still have my good and bad days, but overall, I feel so much better.

The hardest part of making this change is the determination. Celiacs likely will have a more difficult time with this than a normal person, but it is do-able, so don't give up.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I didn't lose at first, and didn't really gain until I went through a nasty divorce. Then the pounds piled on and stayed. It's been 5 years, but I finally got the last of the gluten out of my system and my energy has finally gotten back to a more normal range. It's been slow progress, but since I'm feeling better and doing more things, and finally able to workout on a more normal schedule, my body is toning up. Not much weight loss to write home about, but my clothes are looser. I'm not nearly as ravenously hungry as I was when I was ingesting gluten from my cold cereal every morning (darn malt) and my body is feeling satiated finally after a normal sized meal. I think it was a combination of my body craving nutrients and then overeating to satisfy the cravings, then my stomach getting used to the extra food. 49.5 lbs more to go.

Guest Robbin

Nisla, Oops, saw your post on another thread and will email you--This weight thing is just like that cereal commercial with the woman walking around with the scales chained to her leg. Willy Nelson singing "You Were Always on My Mind"! Perfect description. Someone with a weight problem created that commercial, I am sure! I am hoping to get a "silver lining"(weight loss) from all the gray clouds in this illness!!

Archived