This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fat Malabsorption?

BarryC

BarryC Collaborator

My wife has me on a keto diet to lose weight.  Its easy since I dont eat gluten, but all the meat and fat doesn't sit well with me. I am losing a bit of weight, but my belly is constantly sore and bloated from eating all this rich food. Is it possibly gluten has damaged my digestion to the point fat isn't getting broken down? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Maybe.  If your gut has not healed from celiac damage, you might not be producing enough enzymes to digest your food.  You might consider digestive enzymes.

Did you work your way into the Keto diet?  It is probably best if you gradually reduce carbs over the course of a few weeks.   Start with a lower carb, higher fat diet, but slowly.  

Any drastic dietary change can upset your gut.  Keto is drastic, but it is effective.   I do well on a lower carb diet to help manage my diabetes.  I am not technically Keto, but keep my carbs to below 50 when I am on the wagon!  

Research fasting.  In my case, just fasting for 12 to 15 hours a day, basically gives my gut a break, keeps my blood glucose down and I end up eating less (no snacking).   My hubby’s cardiologist even suggested it for him!  

The bottom line.  We are all unique.   I hope you figure out the best eating “way of life” for you.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

As Cycling lady said enzymes and fasting. I take digestive enzymes (Realzymes Keto formula) and extra lipese (to break down fat) from Enzymepeida along with bromelain from another company for protein. Meat takes longer to digest, start with a 16 hour fasting window and slowly up it, I am at 20 hour fasting window and I am good.
Another thing be sure your doing clean keto not dirty keto, avoid fried foods, and eat cleaner meats. I looked to people like Ketogenicgirl, The ketologist, maria emmerich etc. for ideas and meals. Keep a food diary also you might have some other foods you do not digest well, start a rotating diet/elimination diet.  I can not digest many foods well and certain oils olive, canola, grape, sunflower and have to stick to others like coconut, avocado, walnut but everyone is different. You might find some other foods to be issues like nut flours/whole nuts but be fine with nut butters or some other things.

Edited by Ennis_TX
GFinDC Veteran

There is a chemical signal generated by the small intestine that tells the gallbladder when to release bile.  That chemical signal may not be functioning right for you.  Or your gallbladder may be damaged.  A doctor can do a HIDA scan to check for gallbladder function.

But if all you need is some enzymes to help your digestion then that's much simpler.

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, GFinDC said:

There is a chemical signal generated by the small intestine that tells the gallbladder when to release bile.  That chemical signal may not be functioning right for you.  Or your gallbladder may be damaged.  A doctor can do a HIDA scan to check for gallbladder function.

But if all you need is some enzymes to help your digestion then that's much simpler.

Good catch.  I guess I forgot about gallbladder since I do not have one anymore!  ?

GFinDC Veteran
3 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Good catch.  I guess I forgot about gallbladder since I do not have one anymore!  ?

Oh that's right!  Didn't you take your's out and use it as an air bladder when escaping that submarine? :)

Actually, it seems quite a few people come on the forum who have had their gall bladders removed.  I am guessing the lack of the proper chemical signal telling the gall bladder to empty lets the bile build up and makes stones and causes damage.  That bile stuff ain't 'sposed to just sit in there forever after all.  Free medical speculation number 3,400,919.

I have gall stones myself, but I plan to leave them in so future archeologists can dig them up and make them into necklaces.  Or something like that. :)

Edited by GFinDC