This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Candy And Gum Question.

nobeer4me

nobeer4me Apprentice

Hi folks,

I like chewing peppermint gum but have found out recently that "Aspertime" is in all the peppermint gum.

Even Wrigleys doublemint. Aspertime is supposed to be real bad for your nervous system. So I went with the old original Denyne, but it has red #40 in it which contains gluten. :angry:

Does anyone know of a good peppermint gum that is gluten and aspertime free?

Also, are Almond Joys, and Mounds safe? The ingredients look ok, but having a reaction to something, and

I'm suspicious of the almond joys I ate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi. Here is what I have found so far:

Listed as gluten-free on delphilist:

Beech-Nut Gum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

Cinnamon 5-stick; peppermint; spearmint

Chicklets (Warner Lambert) (ve=01/12/2004)

Chicklets gum are gluten and dairy free

Dentyne Gums (Pfizer) (800-223-0182) (ve=09/02/03)

All products

GUM: Clorets; Dentyne; Freedent (peppermint, winter fresh, spearmint); Trident (all)

Stick-Free Gum (000.000.0000) (00/00/00)

Sugarless peppermint; Sugarless spearmint

Trident Gums (Pfizer) (800-223-0182) (Open Original Shared Link) (ve=09/02/03)

All products

Wrigley Gum (312-644-2121) (www.wrigley.com) (ve=06/29/04)

Wrigley's Spearmint® gum, Freedent® gum, Doublemint® gum, Extra® gum, Big Red® gum, Eclipse® gum, Juicy Fruit® gum, Eclipse® Flash breath strips, Winterfresh® gum, Orbit® gum, Winterfresh® Thin Ice breath strips, Orbit White gum

Regarding Almond Joys and Mounds:

Hershey's (800.468.1714) (vp=12/10/04)

Kisses, Kisses with Caramel, Rich Dark Kisses, Kisses with Almonds, Milk Duds, Almond Joy, Mr. Goodbar, Hershey Bar, Hershey Bar with Almonds, Reeses Bites (food starch corn or tapioca)

Hershey Chocolate Bars (Hershey Canada Inc)(1-800-468-1714) (vp= 07/08/2004)

Both the Creamy Milk Chocolate bars and the Special Dark Chocolate Bars are gluten-free. Since wheat is one of the eight protein allergens, it will be listed on the label, including if there was a possibility of cross-contamination. It is Hershey’s policy to list clearly list allergens on their labels. NOTE: Miniature candy bars are not gluten free (including the Special Dark and Hershey's Milk Chocolate and Mr. Goodbar candies). Hershey's says that you cannot assume that the same candy bar is gluten free in different sizes.

I see Almond Joy on there but I couldn't find Mounds anywhere.

Karen

nobeer4me Apprentice

Thanks Karen,

I will check out some of those other chewing gums you listed.

Mike.

bluelotus Contributor

I didn't know red #40 had gluten (thank goodness I don't eat many processed foods.) - I'll have to look into that. Scary.

Guest nini

I've never heard ANYTHING about red #40 having gluten in it. Where did you get that information? I don't think that is correct.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

What's red #40?

Oops, forget it, I see it now when I re-read the first post.....

Karen

Mango04 Enthusiast

I really like Glee Gum. Here's some info from their website:

Glee Gum is made with all natural ingredients including: pure cane sugar, rice syrup, natural flavorings and colorings. Our gum base has super chewy natural chicle harvested from Sapodilla trees in the rain forests of Central America.

Glee Gum is: Vegetarian, Additive Free, Lactose Free, Dairy Free, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Casein Free, Egg Free, Yeast Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, and Peanut Free.

Glee Gum has: all natural ingredients, rice syrup instead of corn syrup, natural chicle, delicious, long-lasting, and popular flavors: tangerine, peppermint, and cinnamon. Glee Gum does NOT have: artificial preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, artificial sweeteners (e.g. aspartame, saccharin, cyclamate, or stevia).

www.gleegum.com

I get it at Whole Foods. Looks like you can order it online too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I hear lots fo bad things about Red Dye #40, and its connection to issues, but not heard a gluten connection???

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Red Dye 40 doesnt contain gluten. Some people react to it because its probably not the best thing for us to be putting into our bodies....but as far as I know its gluten-free.

Guest cassidy

what about ice breakers mints, are they gluten free? I found somewhere that ice breakers gum is, but I can't find information on the mints. They are my favorite!

bluelotus Contributor

Mango, thanks for the tip on Glee gum.

BTW - I haven't seen Red #40 referenced as having gluten in it, though I know some artifical colors might use gluten as binders (this according the celiac.com's forbidden list).

Becky6 Enthusiast

REd #40 is in many foods that are gluten-free. It is in Dentyne and it is listed as safe on the delphi list.

jerseyangel Proficient

Mango--I am going to look for the gum you mentioned--I love to chew gum but am having a hard time finding one that agrees with me. I used to be able to chew any type of gum--reg. or sugar free. Not any more!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yeah you should try it! It's not nearly as minty as the artificially flavored stuff. I really like it though. :)

Archived