This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Legal Seafoods (east Coast)

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

I've eaten there quite a few times since going gluten-free and never had a problem, so this past Saturday we went there for my father-in-laws birthday (they have a gluten-free menu). I really went for it and ordered the seafood casserole with gluten-free breadcrumbs (I usually stick to the pan-seared items). I have been SOOOOOOO sick ever since. There are other things it could have been but I haven't been this glutened in a long time. Most of the time it's the whole "processed in a facility that also processes wheat" thing and I recover fairly quickly.

I called them today to ask their procedure (like if their gluten free plates are a different color- I mean how easy would it be to pick up the wrong plate in the kitchen?) and there's a good system in place. But they wouldn't give out a lot of details and wouldn't even admit that it was a possibility that something had gone wrong (I spoke to a manager and I'm sure he was trying to cover their butts).

Arrggghhhh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sspitzer5 Apprentice

I had a bunch of trips to Boston last year and ate there a bunch of times. I never had a problem. However, some employees seem to "get it" better than others. I'm not sure how good their training is, but the food is usually great! I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mix up somehow.

S

Guest BERNESES

I know- the only thing that made me wonder is that our waitress seemed not to know much about the gluten-free menu and she seemed very disinterested in serving us. First time that's ever happened- service is usually great as is the food. I was especially disappointed by the manager's reaction today- he really didn't seem like he cared. maybe I'll go in sometime this week and talk to the manager who was on when I went in. Thanks for your reply, Beverly

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I've said this a million times a lot of people are probably sick of me saying it. I go to Legal Seafoods all the time and even still when I get seated I ask the hostess if she could please send the manager over to my table. When he gets there I introduce myself (the Legal at Copley Place, Boston knows me I know all the managers and I still do this) and tell them that although I know they have a gluten-free menu and I've eaten there many times, would they please talk to the waiter about how important it is to get this right. I've never once had a manager act like this was a problem, they have been more then happy to do it and they always stop back by my table and say they not only talked to the server but talked to the chef and he is waiting for my order.

The server comes to my table knowing the manager is on top of this and when I order I ask them to please write "gluten free" in big letters. They always do. And I've never been glutened at Legal Seafoods and at very few other places I go.

It may sound like a hassle for all but its really in how you do it. I've gotten to know the managers of some of Bostons best restaurants and believe me on a Friday night that has served me really well. I also tip my wait person more then usual.

I really love to eat out and I realize its always a risk so I take these extra steps to reduce the chances I get glutened, so far its really working!

Susan

Guest BERNESES

Hi PixieGirl- I know- that's what I usually do too and I've never had any doubts. But of course, that day there were ten of us and kids running around. So I was busy. But the manager ALWAYS delivers my food there and she did this time too. I suppose managers can make mistakes too. <_< I'm just surprised as I've always had good luck there and I guess I got a little relaxed and felt safe and didn't act as assertively as I should have.

PS I'm not sick of hearing what you said! It's good advice. :D

happygirl Collaborator

agreed-even when managers are involved, it doesn't matter sometimes! my rule of thumb is, If I haven't prepared it myself, I don't know 100% what is in it! Mistakes do happen....

hope you feel better soon, beverly. poor thing :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Just wanted to say--hope you feel better soon :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

Thanks you guys- this one was a really bad one. I've been so sick since Saturday. Thanks for your good wishes. You guys keep me going!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I've only eaten there once, but I was fine.

I hope you feel better sweetie!!

Guest BERNESES

Thank you Jillian- I think next time I'll skip the gluten-free bread crumbs. Too easy to confuse in the kitchen. I do feel better today. :)

CeliaCruz Rookie

I hope you feel better soon!

I have eaten there (Chestnut Hill Mall) three times since going gluten-free and have never had a problem. However, I have always ordered stuff that would/should be gluten-free anyway like pan-seared scallops with lemon and no sauce, a baked potato etc. For some reason I've always been a little wary of the foods on their Celiac menu that are not normally gluten-free like the fried calamari dipped in egg whites and cornmeal or the caesar salad with chick pea croutons. I always sort of wanted to try them and had planned to at some point, but when the waiter actually takes my order, I chicken out and go with the safer options.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yes of course its possible that the manager made a mistake, like everyone always says... eating out is a risk. I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you feel better soon. I'm going to stay away from those bread crumbs too, I can see how they would be easy to mix up.

Susan!

Guest BERNESES

i alway shy away from that stuff too because I figure it's too easy for someone to make an honest mistake. But I'd had such good luck I thought I'd go for it. NEVER AGAIN (well- the breaded/fried stuff).

Thanks Pixie Girl- I do feel better today. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BERNESES

Ok- now I'm FURIOUS! A month later (yesterday), I went in with my dad and sis for lunch- same location- Peabody. I call the manager over to speak with him (pretty sure it was the guy I got on the phone who was very unsympathetic the last time) and I explained that I felt very tentative about eating there after what happened last time. He assured me he would watch my food in the kitchen (but seemed neither apologetic or concerned). I order the shrimp and garlic over brown rice and lemon sorbet. SICK as a dog again today. I am so angry. I could SCREAM- so I'm SCREAMING here!!!!!!

The only other thing I ate yesterday was Thai Kitchen leftovers from the night before (and I felt fine yesterday). I want to throw up, crawl in a ball and just cry. I am so upset.

I sent corporaate an email. I'd call them but I'm afraid I'd just start bawling.

francelajoie Explorer

I've never had a problem thank god. I'm from the maritimes and I miss fresh seafood. Legal Seafoods is the only place I trust and eat seafood that is actually fresh.

jerseyangel Proficient

B--I am really sorry that you're sick again from eating there :( . I would be upset, too. Hope you gave them an 'earfull' in your email :angry:

Guest BERNESES

Thanks Patti- I just got off the phone with the assistant manager at the restaurant and a woman from corporate. They were both much nicer than the JERK general manager I spoke with the first time it happened. Both are going to talk to the executive chef (who is familiar with food allergoies/intolerances) and find out what the heck happened. I'm still crying but at least someone listened to me. i'm on spring break this week and I'm so upset because I had plans.

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks Patti- I just got off the phone with the assistant manager at the restaurant and a woman from corporate. They were both much nicer than the JERK general manager I spoke with the first time it happened. Both are going to talk to the executive chef (who is familiar with food allergoies/intolerances) and find out what the heck happened. I'm still crying but at least someone listened to me. i'm on spring break this week and I'm so upset because I had plans.

It's good that you got someone on the phone who at least listened and will look into it. Feel better fast so you can enjoy at least part of your time off :)

Jen H Contributor

That's awful that you got sick again! It sounds like you did all you could to make sure your food was gluten-free. Is there any chance you could have other food allergies?

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Will you please let us know how this turns out for you. I'm still amazed, since this thread started I've eaten at Legal 2 more times and ate the other day at a Baja Fresh and I was fine. Maybe I'm very lucky. I know I'm still a big reactor because about a week ago, don't ask me what I was thinking but I grabbed a goldfish cracker that my daughter was eating (I was helping with homework) and as usual I got sick as a dog.

:blink:

I guess no matter how careful you are, if you go out, your taking a risk.

Susan

Guest BERNESES

Thanks Everyone- I feel a bit better today. Tthe executive chef said they are going to send someone in to the Peabody location as he believes that some places are better versed than others in the cross-contamination problems. He seems to think it was that- but also the gluten-free menu says that the sorbet is NOT celiac friendly (which I didn't realize until I downloaded the menu yesterday) even though I was assured by the manager that it was gluten-free. Apparently the sorbet is made by the pastry chef so who knows?

I have been tested for other food allergies and I don't have any allergies. Iintolernaces maybe? I've tried to figure them out several times (elimination diet, etc) and have never been able to figure out anything but gluten.

I will definitely keep you posted as I've NEVER had a problem at the Burlington location or the Prudential mall location. Only Peabody. :blink:

Guest BERNESES

Just wanted to let everyone know what happened. They contacted me today- all the sorbets are gluten-free. Tthey suspect cross-contamination so they are sending someone in to train people about CC. They are sending me some gift cards (don't know if I'll use them). The woman I spoke with was wonderful and very sympathetic. Guess it just goes to show that eating oout is risky. <_<

CeliaCruz Rookie

If you do use the gift cards, use 'em at another location. I have had wonderful experiences at the Chestnut Hill Legal's. It may be that your local Legal's is the problem and not a reflection of the corporation as a whole. Call around the various franchises and ask about the gluten-free menu. When you get someone on the phone who sounds engaged in what you are talking about, go there. Maybe Peabody just isn't up to speed yet.

Guest BERNESES

Yep- my thoughts exactly. The executive chef who designed the gluten-free menu is in Braintree and he offered to personally cook me dinner. Now there's an offer. Peabody is the ONLY place I've ever had a problem. But it's a bummer because that's where all my family is and Braintree is a haul from New hampshire. Oh well- maybe we'll make a night of it!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I've eaten at Braintree, Boston Copley Place, Boston prudential, Boston Park Square, Chestnut Hill and at Legal's in Palm Beach and I've never had a problem (all of them are a hike for me, I'm on the cape, but I travel for food!). I'm certainly going to avoid Peabody! Thanks for the heads up.

Susan

Archived