Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teankerbell

Necco Sweetheart Candies

Just an FYI...

Necco Sweetheart Candies have modified food starch in them. www.necco.com states on their website that they are gluten free. I emailed them to not state their products are gluten free unless they clearly state the modified food starch is derived from corn starch. I pointed them to this website and the forbidden foods link. Lets see if they respond!

Hi Laura,

haha, me again. But it must be derived from corn because I eat Neccos, the regular ones and I've never had a problem with them. ...........did you get sick from them last night?

Hi Laura,

haha, me again. But it must be derived from corn because I eat Neccos, the regular ones and I've never had a problem with them. ...........did you get sick from them last night?

This is funny ---

No, I just didn't eat them because I was afraid of the modified food starch mystery ingredient. I got like 4 boxes of them from co-workers for Valentine's Day and gave them away.

I have learned which companies to trust and which ones to call on. I remember seeing a post that said the Necco company only uses corn not gluten so I know the modidied food starch listed is safe.

Hez

From thier site...

Which Necco products are Gluten Free?

We make the following products which do not contain gluten from wheat, rye, oats or barley: Necco Wafers, Mary Janes, Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses, Sweethearts Conversation Hearts (Valentines only), Canada Mint & Wintergreen Lozenges, Haviland Thin Mints and Candy Stix

In addition, Clark Bars, Skybars, Haviland Peppermint & Wintergreen Patties, Necco Candy Eggs (Easter), Talking Pumpkins (Halloween), Squirrel Nut Caramels and Squirrel Nut Zippers, Banana Split and Mint Julep Chews, ULTRAMINTS are also gluten free.

Guest nini

they do use corn as the modified food starch. IN THE USA if a food is listed MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, per my understanding of certain laws, it has to be corn if it says Modified Food Starch. If it is from wheat it would have to say Modified food starch (from Wheat) on the label. This is not true for other countries, but is true for the USA.

to clarify, THIS ONLY APPLIES TO FOODS MANUFACTURED IN THE US

i wanted to respond to this quickly because that's one of my favorite candies, so i only scanned the responses and may have missed something, but everything i have read and been told says that modified food starch in the us is corn or potato unless specified as wheat starch. which is even easier to decipher for us now with the allergen labelling thing, because it it were wheat starch, the label would say 'contains wheat' in bold letters under the ingredients, which it does not say.