Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

My 16 yo daughters TTG IgA came back at 18.7, the normal range is up to 14.9 so it seems mildly high, is this correct. She has always had stomach issues, but recently she has had terrible fatigue with cramping and more diarrhea. My question is, back in 2010 she two test 3 months apart because we saw a homeopathic doc that did a stool test and it came back positive for celiac- or at least a high likelihood. We then went to our primary doc and they did a TGG IgA then and it was 10, then in three months it was 11. They did not do any other testing at the time. She has some food sensory issues so her diet is not good. She is chronically anemic and low in many vitamins like Vit D and Vit B12. Im not sure if I should request a biopsy at this point. It should be noted during her blood draw they had a very difficult time getting her blood and kept pushing on the needle and eventually had to use her other arm, so Im not sure if that sample could have been damaged or not. I appreciate all your help. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Is there any way for her to get the rest of the celiac blood panel?  I completely get the blood draw.  (My kid (19 years) always needed a pediatric needle.  We always asked for the best phlebotomist, but my kid always passed out.  It was always painful.  Her veins were so tiny.)   I doubt the blood sample was damaged.   Or is the doctor willing to give her a diagnosis without an endoscopy and then trial the diet?  My own anemia resolved within months of the gluten-free diet.  That can be another indication  of healing besides a repeat TTG test.

Know that mildly elevated TTG  results does not mean mild small intestinal damage.  There could be a lot of damage.  

Eating  disorders are often common in undiagnosed celiac kids.  

I hope this helps.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter