Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

1 1
Renee D

Dermatitis herpetaformis

Rate this topic

I have Celiac and get a very itchy rash which I believe is dh. I have had a negative biopsy and have been to 5 dermatologists none of whom will prescribe oral dapsone due to the negative biopsy results. I’ve seen in this site that iodine makes dh worse. What foods need to be eliminated to remove iodine from the diet and for how long? 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi!

Not sure I understood you.  You have celiac disease and now have DH?  

Consider browsing through the DH section of the forum if you suspect it might be the cause of your rash and since you have celiac disease.  I think you will find that those with DH who have successfully treated their DH are SUPER careful.  It seems that 20 ppm threshold might be too much for them (it can be too much for many celiacs without DH too).  They avoid processed foods and do not eat out for the most part).  Drastic?  It works for them.  

Look at Squirmingitch’s and Apprehensive Engineer’s postings specifically.  They are active forum members and have been successful without medications, if I recall.

Consider trialing the Fasano diet for a month or so too.  

https://res.mdpi.com/nutrients/nutrients-09-01129/article_deploy/nutrients-09-01129.pdf?filename=&attachment=1

Here is a link about iodine and DH?  There is plenty more in the DH section.  

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/123926-link-between-iodine-intake-and-dh/?tab=comments#comment-1001164

Following this diet will help you determine if you were getting too much hidden gluten exposure into your diet.  Also, make sure you are getting follow-up care:

https://celiac.org/about-celiac-disease/treatment-and-follow-up/adult-pediatric-follow-up-checklists/

I feel better avoiding processed foods and I never eat out except at dedicated gluten-free restaurants.  This works for me.  My last repeat endoscopy revealed a healed small intestine.  ?

•  
Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter