Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moongirl

Did U Find More Sensitivites To Foods?

I dont know if its just me and im more in tuned with my body since my DX, but I feel as though i am becoming more sensitive to foods that I normally wasnt too....I dont know if its an allergy thing, but I def feel something, and it all started after i went gluten-free....

I figured out I had a slew of other food intolerances. It's easier to see other things when the gluten gets cleared out of the way. For me, I had had the other intolerances for a while, but couldn't notice them while still consuming gluten. I did a food journal and also had a food intolerance test done. At this time I have given up casein and eat only a very little soy. I am going to experiment with eliminating other foods eventually. I also, although technically not intolerant to, can not eat turkey, caffeine or most corn products because of abdominal pain.

I agree - once I eliminated the gluten, I was able to identify other foods I cannot eat. Once you start narrowing it down, it gets even easier - although, yeast was a difficult one for me to figure out and it took the longest.

I did a food journal for a month and it really helped.

I have tried several times without success, I still cannot eat any of those foods and my docs (PCP and Allergiest) don't think I ever will.

Kate -

Now that you've been gluten-free for a while, have you been able to reintroduce any of the other foods that gave you problems?

I'm not Kate, but I'll chime in that I've been able to gradually re-introduce vinegar after about 3 months off all yeast-related foods. Woo-hoo!

Jeanne

Yup I definitely have the same problem. Even things that arent even food-related allergies are more sensative since i've been gluten-free. And i remember when i had allergy tests done a few years ago, some of the weirdest things came up as allergic to (even meats and such).

I cant eat most vegetables .. raw, or boiled, most of them make me sick. and not just gassy or give me the runs, but actually sick as I do when i have slight contact with gluten :blink:

I dont know if what i just said make sense haha .. so sorry if i confused you. just me blabbing that i have same problems sometimes :P

~lisa~

Really, you can have vinegar again???

It seems so! Once I got gluten and dairy out of the picture, I noticed that my eczema flared up whenever I had vinegar, so I cut out all yeast-related products for awhile. I tried a little bit maybe once a month, and my reaction got gradually less severe until after about 3 months I didn't seem to react. So I've been gradually adding it back in. I'm still not sure it's a good idea in large doses, but I'm not seeing the clear correlation between vinegar and eczema that I was before.

Jeanne

I have also become aware of LOADS of intolerances/sensitivites since going gluten-free 10 months ago. I had never been aware of them before. I don't really understand it at all to be honest.

I have a terrible rice intolerance, cannot tolerate alcohol at all, seeds, peanuts, chocolate, sugar, legumes and any processed food at all.

Its a nightmare. The homeopath says its because I have "Leaky Gut Syndrome" and hopefully at least some of them should go away.

I thought going gluten-free was going to sort everything out!

Yvonne

Yeah! Its like I had to clear up the noise from the gluten to figure out it wasn't the only thing. Dairy, possibly corn, chocolate... all seem to be a problem to me.