Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

2 2
daisyb00

Reintroduced to gluten

Rate this topic

Hi folks,

I am curious about what to expect when eating gluten for the first time after following a non-gluten diet (accidental or purposeful). 
I am currently waiting for an endoscopy (was due to have one early March but got cancelled due to COVID). Since then I’ve been having really bad stomach pains and awful fatigue, amongst other complications. I spoke to my GP and they advised to avoid gluten until I get my letter about my endoscopy date and then reintroduce gluten to my diet. I know this isn’t normal procedure but they said due to the likelihood of me being celiac (blood test and family history) it’s best to ease the symptoms for now as it was seriously affecting me. After all these aren’t really normal times. 

I’m mainly wondering now what to expect when I start eating gluten again (it could be a few weeks or few months until this happens). Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or just can advise on how best to prepare myself with what to expect pain/ sickness wise. 
Many thanks 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi!  

It is hard to say how you will react when you start consuming gluten about two weeks from the date of your endoscopy (or what the GI instructs).  This is called a gluten challenge.  Celiac disease is like a chameleon.  Symptoms can and do change.  I am sure you will be instructed by your GI as to what to expect and what to do if your challenge becomes difficult.  

I have no experience doing this, but I suspect that avoiding foods that you already have intolerances to (e.g. dairy, soy or corn are common) could be avoided.  I have also heard that by consuming gluten before bedtime could be helpful.  

Let’s hope others chime in!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

6 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Hi!  

It is hard to say how you will react when you start consuming gluten about two weeks from the date of your endoscopy (or what the GI instructs).  This is called a gluten challenge.  Celiac disease is like a chameleon.  Symptoms can and do change.  I am sure you will be instructed by your GI as to what to expect and what to do if your challenge becomes difficult.  

I have no experience doing this, but I suspect that avoiding foods that you already have intolerances to (e.g. dairy, soy or corn are common) could be avoided.  I have also heard that by consuming gluten before bedtime could be helpful.  

Let’s hope others chime in!  

That’s great thank you, that’s what I’ve been thinking just eating it before I sleep so I (hopefully) minimise the discomfort. 

Hopefully they do!!

Join eNewsletter