Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hi all.
I'm wondering if any of you here were diagnosed based on blood tests only? My GP said both tests they did were conclusive so he didn't send me for a biopsy.
I also have a very itchy, red scalp and no shampoo can help. Can this be related?
Thanks,
Paul.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You might have DH (Dermatitis herpetiformis).  DH is an itchy rash that only people with celiac disease get.  There is a separate section of the forum for DH info.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

Some researchers in the EU are diagnosing patients (especially children) based on just the antibodies test results and a resolution of symptoms on a gluten free diet.  In the US, doctors still prefer biopsies via endoscopy.  This can be helpful in adults where long term damage may have incurred and not just from celiac disease (e.g. H. pylori, SIBO, IBD, cancer).  

It sounds like your GP really thinks you have celiac disease.  If you are doubting that diagnosis, consider getting a second opinion.  Doubt can make it hard to adhere to the diet. 

You could have DH (dermatitis Herpetiformis), eczema, or other rashes.  Many are attributed to celiac disease and resolve on a gluten-free diet.  If you do have DH, you might need to be stricter than a celiac who does not have DH.  

Your best defense, is to research all that you can about celiac disease.  Welcome to the forum.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for your reply cycling lady. Yes it puts me in doubt. For something this life changing I was thinking that a Gatroenterologist should investigate. I think I will ask for a referral. 

Regarding my scalp the itch is so bad. I tried all shampoos, prescription and non. I also tried steroid creams which made it worse. 

Thank you for your time. 

Paul. 

Join eNewsletter

Hi Paul,

If it is DH they have a different method of diagnosing that.  For DH they take a small skin sample from next to a lesion.  Also, people with DH sometimes don't show as much damage on the endoscopy.  Probably because the immune attack is centered on the skin instead.  DH testing can be done by a dermatologist.

Regardless of what celiac testing you have, you need to stay on gluten until all testing is done.  The test results measure the immune response so they aren't accurate if you haven't been eating gluten for a while.

It is a good idea to do an internet search for celiac doctors in your area.  Not all doctors are knowledgeable about celiac testing.  You also could search for celiac clubs or support groups.  They can sometimes suggest good doctors to go to.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter