Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
2 2
BergieF

Gluten Free ADHD Medication

Rate this topic

I'm currently taking Vyvanse for ADHD.  My insurance won't cover the medication due to wanting me to try other generic options through step therapy.  Vyvanse has been a great help over the past month but I truly can't keep paying full price for the medication.  My doctor will prescribe generic Adderall XR at my next appointment.  I've called a few manufactures, but have had zero luck with anyone giving me a cut and dry "it's gluten free".  I've called Sandoz twice and all they do is read off the box.  They have no statement about containing or not containing gluten. 

Do you know of any gluten free adhd medications?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Do a search on the US government website:

https://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/results.html?medicine_name=adderall&imprint=&shape=&color=&inactive_ingredients=&repackaged=false&page=1&items_per_page=20

Look for the inactive ingredients.  If there is no gluten is is safe.  Drug companies, for whatever weird reason (extensive lobbying), do not have to follow gluten-free FDA guides.  So, they will not say it is gluten free because for legal reasons.  If you can not determine what is gluten (usually a starch), copy the inactive list and we can let you know.  There were many versions of adderall (doses, etc.) but the first pill I found was gluten free.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

4 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Do a search on the US government website:

https://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/results.html?medicine_name=adderall&imprint=&shape=&color=&inactive_ingredients=&repackaged=false&page=1&items_per_page=20

Look for the inactive ingredients.  If there is no gluten is is safe.  Drug companies, for whatever weird reason (extensive lobbying), do not have to follow gluten-free FDA guides.  So, they will not say it is gluten free because for legal reasons.  If you can not determine what is gluten (usually a starch), copy the inactive list and we can let you know.  There were many versions of adderall (doses, etc.) but the first pill I found was gluten free.  

Brand name Adderall XR is gluten free, but the problem comes down to the generics.  I've looked at the ingredients of several online prior to posting here.  It would be nice to have the FDA pass the gluten in medications act!  It would save a lot of people some time and trouble.

So in saying all of that - My options are Actavis, Teva and Shire (still waiting on a call from them)