This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Happened?

penguin

penguin Community Regular

I was doing so well these last two months, the D was virtually gone, I wasn't getting the crawly heartburn feeling that made me sit up really straight, and I didn't have pain...

And now, my stomach is starting to feel like it's digesting glass again, though I doing a decent job of keeping it at bay, at least until I get home from work. It hurts to eat or drink anything, I get a pain in the middle of my back every time I swallow. Now, I just had probably the most significant D I've had since starting the diet. Sorry for detail, but it looks like I'm not digesting again (spinach in my eggs at breakfast came out the exact same way they went in). And the D is a lovely color of strained squash. (sorry again) WHAT THE HECK!! :angry:

Sometimes I wonder if this diet is helping me at all, and then I remember what happens when I get glutened and how I was *finally* having some normal bm's after 3 years.

What's going on? I think it has something to do with the Tequin (antibiotic) I was on for cellulitis last week, it seems my stomach hasn't been "on" since. Not to mention all of the gluten-free alcohol and the cc glutening on Sunday. I was fine yesterday though, except for the pain in my back. I haven't had these problems with glutening before. I'm drinking a lot of water today (trying to get back in the habit), would that have something to do with the D?

Help! Please, what's going on? Is it normal to have a "flare up" after a while on the diet? Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Chelsea--Sorry you're feeling crummy :( --a similar thing happened to me. After I went gluten-free last June, after getting the diet and everything else in place, I had several months where I felt good--I thought if I just kept doing this, I'd be fine. Well...around mid December, some of my old symptoms came back--D, brain fog, nausea, painful digestion. I also began experiencing reflux for the first time, ever. I was not doing anything different. For me, it has taken until recently to figure out I began to react to rice and other grains and starches. This is in addition to the other intolerances I already was aware of. In your case, the antibiotic could very well have a hand in it. I doubt that drinking the extra water has a lot to do with the D--except it could be helping by "flushing" everything along a little faster. Have you given any thought to other foods that may be becoming a problem for the first time? I know (from experience, and reading here) that when a person is gluten-free, other intolerances can show up. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon--does not sound like fun :angry:

eleep Enthusiast

One possibility: antibiotics really mess with your digestive system -- they kill the "good" bacteria in your intestines. I recommend a probiotic supplement -- or at least plain yogurt with some live cultures. The probiotics seem to be more powerful, though, and they've been recommended for healing celiacs. You'll probably want to keep replacing that bacteria for a while -- but I'm not an expert on this.

jenvan Collaborator

How much alcohol? Are you drinking fairly frequently?

How much alcohol? Are you drinking fairly frequently?

Haha, no. I drink too much maybe once every four months, if that. Maybe an occasional glass of wine or margarita inbetween, I'm not a big drinker. My dad and uncle both died of alcoholism and drug abuse, so I generally stay away from it.

Last weekend I was at a bachelorette party at a ladies-only club (I think you know what kind I mean ;) ) and drank appropriately. I was pretty much fine the next day, pretty sure I wasn't glutened at the club but I WAS glutened at breakfast.

My stomach doesn't like alcohol much anyway, especially too much, but those affects are usually gone within a day. I think that might be part of my reflux problem I'm having right now.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I was sick off and on like that for about six months on the gluten-free diet. My symptoms started improving after six months, but I never really felt 100% better until approximately one year after I started the gluten-free diet. There were problems during my first year on the diet, such as dairy and the fact I was eating gluten-free Humpty Dumpty chips that were contaminated <_< But, I really think that I needed that long to heal.

plantime Contributor

It sounds to me like a combination of the glutening on Sunday and the antibiotic. I agree with probiotics or live-culture yogurt to restore balance, and lots of water. I hope it passes quickly for you, so you can start feeling better again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I am eating yogurt, I try to at least once a day, but I don't know if I'm getting enough cultures. I'm eating Cascade Fresh yogurt (btw, the green apple pie flavor rocks!), which has 8, but I didn't eat any over the weekend. I think I'm going to go the probiotic route and see if that helps.

As far as I know, my only food problems are gluten and tree nuts (oral allergy). Well, and a glass of milk bothers me, but not yogurt or cheese. I think it's the temporary lactose intolerance thing. I'm kind of approaching this as "one crisis at a time" and worry about other intolerances once I have the gluten-free thing down pat.

mookie03 Contributor

Chelsea- I've been there too, i think we all have. for me, i think it was a bad rxn to getting glutened where my body just took a little extra time to get back to normal-- sometimes when i am glutened, its a one shot deal, sometimes its a little worse and my body will react to EVERYTHING for the next week or two. And just like you described. Hang in there, and u should feel better soon. And i agree that antibiotics are VERY hard on the tummy, so see how you feel when you are off them too. I think u are doing everything right, it just takes some time :)

mart Contributor

Chelse, sorry you feel so sick. By your description, I can now understand what my poor 7 year old son goes through. Though he's been gluten-free for almost 8 months now, he still feels the same way from time to time. And it is so frustrating because I know he's not getting cross contaminated. I've devoted my life to feeding this child. I even take his lunch to school and feed him outside on a bench rather than risking the contamination of the school's cafeteria. I guess what Carriefaith says is true. Maybe it justs takes about a year to get all better. I agree with the others that the antibiotics may have played a hand in this (gluten-free or not). I always get D when on antibiotics. Anyway, hang in there...this too shall pass!

key Contributor

Chelse,

THe same thing happened to me, exactly. For me though, I think I was getting small amounts of cross contaminated food. I have felt better now that I quit eating certain things with a risk for CC. I have felt great for two weeks finally and I am thrilled!! I was having horrible heartburn and went on prilosec.

ONe thing I can say, is that if I am gluttened my digestion can suffer for days afterwards.

HEre are some things I think I was gluttened from. Kettle chips, Bob's Redmill Mighty Tasty hot cereal, my lipstick. Also I gave up coffee, which seems to have helped and I gave up tea. I didn't give up all caffeine. I still drink mountain dew some. I think you have mentioned being gluttened by these products. I don't know what else to tell you to try. I did start taking something called Bone Up from Jarrow Formula's and I am taking a different probiotic by Natural Factors. I also gave up the Stonyfield Farms yogurts and I don't eat out.

The description of undigested food, This has happened to me after being gluttened badly several times. Very gross. AFter that I end up with C and all sorts of digestive issues.

I am happy to report I am feeling much better lately. Actually great! So there is hope and I know alot of others have had this same experience. I don't fully understand it. I felt great for like 4 months before it started with me feeling worse. I was almost sorry that I had gone gluten free, but I forgot how nasty I felt before. Being gluttened is an aweful reminder that I didn't have a choice! Definitely I think our bodies become more sensitive to gluten the longer we are gluten free.

I have not given any more grains up or dairy and I am fine with these things, as long as I haven't been gluttened and there is gluten in them of course.

Monica

Archived