This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

International House Of Pancakes

dianne

dianne Rookie

A woman in my support group said that she got an emelet at IHOP, thinking it would be safe. However, the waiter, whom she had told about her condition, rushed back, and told her that the omelets had pancake batter in them. I thought I whould warn people about this. :rolleyes:

Dianne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KayJay Enthusiast

They do that to make them fluffy! I just found out about that also. Thankfully from word of mouth not experience. But if you ask for real eggs they will give you real eggs. I would be concerned about cross contamination at IHOP. Thanks for posting!

lovegrov Collaborator

I once had somebody at corporate connfirm there's panckae abtter in the omelets. I haven't checked with them lately, but at the time they said you could order an egg white omelet or an egg substitute omelet. Neither would have pancake batter.

I actually eat the omelets at Waffle House. The omelet pans are not used for pancakes and are nowhere near the pancakes. At most if not all Waffle Houses they also cook the stuff right in front of you. You can keep an eye on things.

richard

mat4mel Apprentice

What else is gluten-free at Waffle House? I wonder if the hashbrowns and bacon are safe.

lovegrov Collaborator

The Waffle House I went to used gluten-free Hormel bacon, although I can't guarantee they all use this. Truth is, I've heard of only two bacons that aren't gluten-free, although one of them is the bacon at McDonald's. Don't know about the hash browns but you can ask. The sausage is also very likely gluten-free but you should also check on that. I had the omelette and some bacon.

richard

Kim Explorer

last I was there, some time ago, Waffle House hash browns were gluten-free, but I would always double check before eating again.

Richard is totally right about being able to see your food prepared at Waffle House, which is helpful.

Kim.

• 3 weeks later...
dianne Rookie

Is Waffle House a national chain? Do they have a website, with their locations? I live near Detroit, Michigan, and I haven't heard of them before.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crazykitty Newbie

:o HI

Waffle house unfortunately is a southern chain. I travel to Fla from Ca every summer on I-10 and I start seeing them on the other side of Texas. I traveled through Wyoming and South Dakota a couple of years ago and I dont remember them that far north. I once asked them if they were in Ca, they said there might be one store I dont know where it is.

They are me and my sons favorite place to eat when on the road as they are quick and reasonable.

I am self diagonised after 45 years of vague problems ranging from rhuemotoid arthritis as a teenager to ADHD developing as an adult. There appears to be a genetic history as well as my Mom had a lot of health problems cumulating with extremely severe osteoarthritis and severe allergies. She was undiagonised.

Annette

The Great Vally, Ca

kalo Rookie

Hi Annette. I'm wondering if you ADD disapeared after going gluten free? Hugs, Carol B

hapi2bgf Contributor

I have to say that I heard about IHOP adding pancake batter to the omletts months ago and as a result I do not eat there at all. Just makes me very nervous.

Waffle is a great southern thing :lol: I eat there fairly often and always have the hash browns and a fried egg. Personally the smoothered and covered hash browns are the best. The food is fast and cheap, so that works well for me. Hopefully anyone else how tries Waffle House will have a happy experience.

Do any of you actually eat at McDonald's? I called them several months ago and found very few of there foods were safe to eat. The only thing I eat there are the fries. I am pretty sure the guy told me the meats were not safe, but please double check before taking my word on it.

flagbabyds Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link
khyricat Rookie

Dianne- waffle house is southrn.. I'm in MI too- Ann Arbor.. waiting on diagnosis, but the more I read and learn the more I think this is the answer and if the test comes up negative I may try gluten free anyway! we used to go a lot drivign down south..

Amie

lovegrov Collaborator

The beef at McDonalds is perfectly safe as is the grilled chicken. There are also several breakfast items. Here's their gluten-free list.

Open Original Shared Link

richard

dana-g Newbie

What about the beef at Burger King? My daughter is graduating from fifth grade on Friday and they are having BK burgers at the party. Their web site doesn't factor out the buns when it lists the items, so of course the box for wheat is checked. Does anybody know for sure before I pick up the phone?

dana-g Newbie

I just answered my own question...I went on the web site under "Nutrition" and it says the burgers for the Whoppers are 100% ASDA Beef. One really fishy thing, though, is that they list some items as having "corn starch-modified", which is great, and gluten-free, and some as having "food starch-modified" then declare them as containing wheat. Then you'll find another item containing MFS and it's NOT marked containing wheat! They are way too inconsistant for my comfort level!

• 6 years later...
libertysmith Newbie

FYI - the first ingredient in McDonalds fries is hydrolyzed wheat - made me sick... As far as their chicken - the seasoning they coat it in is NOT gluten free! it contains wheat and maltodextrin, also so does the Angus beef sesoning and all of there sauces! One thing at McDonalds is gluten free - regular beef patties ordered obviously w/o the bun! Same with the chicken breast at Wendy's - NOT gluten free either!

libertysmith Newbie

I just answered my own question...I went on the web site under "Nutrition" and it says the burgers for the Whoppers are 100% ASDA Beef. One really fishy thing, though, is that they list some items as having "corn starch-modified", which is great, and gluten-free, and some as having "food starch-modified" then declare them as containing wheat. Then you'll find another item containing MFS and it's NOT marked containing wheat! They are way too inconsistant for my comfort level!

About the MFS - Agreed! The FDA does not require "modified food starch" to be labeled for consumers as containg "wheat or gluten". I avoid anything with maltodextrin, MFS, and caramel color, they always have made me sick!

libertysmith

psawyer Proficient

This topic is seven years old. Much has changed.

About the MFS - Agreed! The FDA does not require "modified food starch" to be labeled for consumers as containg "wheat or gluten".

No longer true. As of January 1, 2006 (over five years ago), ANY wheat content in packaged food in the USA MUST, by federal law, be clearly and explicitly disclosed, using the word "wheat."

psawyer Proficient

FYI - the first ingredient in McDonalds fries is hydrolyzed

No, that's not the case. The first ingredient, not surprisingly, is potatoes.

Here, from the McDonalds US web site, are the ingredients:

French Fries:

Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK *(Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients).

Although there is hydrolyzed wheat in the beef flavor, the final products contains no detectable gluten. It is a question that has been beaten to death many times here. Make your own decision, but if that concerns you, you probably should not go near any fast food restaurant--cross contamination is a much greater concern. Note, too, that the oil in which the fries are prepared at the store is different and contains no added flavor.

Archived