• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

popoki321

Gluten Free For Dummies

Rate this topic

Has anyone checked out the new Gluten Free for Dummies book? I was wondering if it was worth it to order it from Amazon.

I've been gluten free since Feb. and have pretty much figured it out. Just wondering if there is anything worthwhile in this new book.

Thanks

Has anyone checked out the new Gluten Free for Dummies book? I was wondering if it was worth it to order it from Amazon.

I've been gluten free since Feb. and have pretty much figured it out. Just wondering if there is anything worthwhile in this new book.

Thanks

I wonder if it would help people who just don't get it that we have problems with.

I wonder if it would help people who just don't get it that we have problems with.

It does seem like they are the ones needing help, doesn't it!

I didn't even know there was such a book out. I will have to go down to the bookstore and look it over next payday.

Guest Viola

That sounds great...maybe all our families could read it :lol: I haven't seen one locally yet, so if anyone reads it, let us know what you think. Maybe it's worth ordering. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know such a book existed. I ordered it today on amazon .com, so I'll let you all know what I think after I get it. I'm hoping its as good as the other for dummies books.

That sounds great...maybe all our families could read it :lol: I haven't seen one locally yet, so if anyone reads it, let us know what you think. Maybe it's worth ordering. :rolleyes:

Shirley -- that's GREAT! I think I'll buy about 20 copies! I can just keep them in the car, keep a couple in my wheelchair, and then whip one out when the situation arises! :lol: Unfortunately, given my family, I think I'd maybe need an actual CASE of them!

Guest Viola
Shirley -- that's GREAT! I think I'll buy about 20 copies! I can just keep them in the car, keep a couple in my wheelchair, and then whip one out when the situation arises! :lol: Unfortunately, given my family, I think I'd maybe need an actual CASE of them!

:lol::lol: Yes Lynne, maybe we need to give some of them a little tap on the head with them before they read it. I hope it's a big book! :lol:

Seriously, I would like to have a look at it, will check the book store again next time I'm in town.

My copy of GFL for Dummies arrived today and it looks terrific! Worth twice what I paid at least. I wish I didn't have to work today so I could just dive in. All I had time for was skimming the contents and it seems extremely easy to find just about anything you'd need to know about gluten and staying away from it.

I went to my local book store to pick it up and they didn't have it in stock but said they could order it and I'd have it in 7-9 days for the low, low price of $20.00. I went home and promptly ordered it off Amazon! Cheaper and faster.

Just from reading the excerpts it seems like a great book.

Hmm, it seems I have lots of " for dummies" guides....I'm starting to get a complex! :blink:

I just got mine today and sat down with it for an hour just paging through. It looks like a really good resource, especially for those that are relatively new to the diet. It's written in a very upbeat, optimistic style. It even offers about 60 gluten free recipes that, for the most part, look delicious! Recipes include: Pizza pockets, cheese enchiladas, tequila-lime shrimp and scallops, lemon caper chicken, sweet-potato potato salad, asian salad dressing, caesar salad dressing, lemon quinoa crunch, white bread for bread machines, flour tortillas, crustless cherry cheesecake, chocolate marshmallow bars, and lots lots more...

Can you tell I'm hungry? :D Seriously, this book looks great. It even goes as far as to teach you how to keep your kitchen gluten free, how to store foods, how to shop, and how to save money on gluten free foods. This book should be mandatory reading for new Celiacs. It would prevent a lot of heartache and a lot of screw-ups.

Guest Viola

Thanks for that book report Guhlia... I'm really going to look for one when I'm in town on Saturday! :D

Also I noticed the book has a terriaki sauce recipe that you use wheat free soy sauce for....I'm going to try it as I don't like the San-J terriaki sauce but I do like their gluten-free soy sauce. The book, like Guhlia mentioned has very useful information and it's in a much more fun format than Dr. Greens book. If you can only get one of them, this (dummies book) is the one to have.

For those of you who have this book - did you see that Danna Korn reports that there is no gluten in envelope glue but that is one of those rumors that just won't die? I'd like to see the published proof that says the glue has gluten - if in fact it does. If anyone can point me to that info I'd greatly appreciate it. I know there are a couple of rumors that are still around and won't go away and I've proven to myself that they are not true. But I actually never thought to question the glue thing.