This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

mftnchn Explorer

Here's an interesting note from the above website that helps explain why stress impacts our infections:

Adrenaline, commonly produced by stress, has a very interesting effect on many of these infections

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mftnchn Explorer
Welcome back Katy!

Hope you feel better soon Andrea.

Ditto!

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
Sherry,

Thank you for posting that link. My mom has been diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome several years now--the new information is very interesting. Thanks again! :)

You are most welcome, glad it helped. The website is quite hard to navigate but there is a lot of interesting info and research notes.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
I'll go with the Dr. B guidelines. :) If he starts having symptoms, I'll call the PA and set up an appt.

I think that is smart. I'm sending along good thoughts that he will cooperate and take self responsibility for this.

Sherry

aprilh Apprentice

My kids and I were eaten by chiggers this past weekend! Anyone have any home remedies for this? I have been doing some research and I refuse to put petroleum, finger nail polish, gasoline, or ammonia on them!

The kids have whelts all over! Its terrible and driving us all crazy!

I gave them an epsom salt bath and then rubbed vit E oil with baking soda on them. A few I put hydrocortizone cream - just to expirement to see which works better.

UGH!! :(

mftnchn Explorer

Update from my LLMD phone appointment today:

He agrees Vitamin D could have activated the immune system for my recent flare/herx; he'd like me to experiment with tripling my dose to 6000 until I get back and tested on the 30th. He said pushing it up could help with the symptoms or push me through the herx much faster. He has treated a lot of people with D with good results but hasn't seen a herx before. He said since I can't monitor levels out here, in the future we'll monitor calcium levels because that is where a toxicity would show up.

He also said to be sure to take the nattokinase on an empty stomach, which I haven't been doing.

Other thoughts about the cause of my flare are allergies, or parasites. He has a physician friend who travels here often and picked up a tapeworm that he has been unsuccessful in getting rid of...

He plans a series of tests for when I get back, and it sounds like he's going to do a check for babs and consider a course of Mepron.

One very cool thing...I just made an appointment to see an internist who specialzes in celiac, got her name from this forum. It turns out my LLMD knows her well, and in fact, diagnosed her gluten sensitivity! So he said there will be no problem working together. I am really really happy about this.

Also, my daughter decided to also make an appointment with the same doc to be evaluated for celiac. This is an answer to my prayers; I am concerned about both my kids as they are symptomatic.

mftnchn Explorer

April, I know how awful that can be, and they seem to last forever. Unfortunately I don't have any more suggestions. We used to put "Tiger Balm" a Chinese remedy on them.

Sherry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
I'm irritated with him ... you would think that after all I've been through that he would take things like this seriously.

I'd say it's a typical teenage attitude (although not all of them), unfortunately.

You're plan sounds like a good one and if he needs meds I hope he'll be willing to buckle in for the treatment.

April,

Sorry about your kids. I don't have antying to offer......I don't even know what chiggers are. :ph34r:

I'm feeling a little bit more energetic this evening so I'm hoping I'm over the worst part of this thing and just on to the cold part.

confusedks Enthusiast
April,

Sorry about your kids. I don't have untying to offer......I don't even know what chiggers are. :ph34r:

:ph34r: Me either.

CarlaB Enthusiast
take self responsibility for this.

Well, there's always a first time, isn't there?

Also, my daughter decided to also make an appointment with the same doc to be evaluated for celiac. This is an answer to my prayers; I am concerned about both my kids as they are symptomatic.

Sounds like good news all the way around with your appt.

Also good about your daughter.

:ph34r: Me either.

You two have obviously never lived in the midwest. They are small bugs that get under your skin. I've never had them, so I don't know how to get rid of them. I'd probably go with the nail polish.

Green12 Enthusiast
My kids and I were eaten by chiggers this past weekend! Anyone have any home remedies for this?

So sorry about this April :( I also don't know what chiggers are so I have no thoughts about how to treat. I hope what you have tried helps.

He agrees Vitamin D could have activated the immune system for my recent flare/herx; he'd like me to experiment with tripling my dose to 6000 until I get back and tested on the 30th. He said pushing it up could help with the symptoms or push me through the herx much faster. He has treated a lot of people with D with good results but hasn't seen a herx before.

One very cool thing...I just made an appointment to see an internist who specialzes in celiac, got her name from this forum.

Thanks for the update on your phone appt Sherry, treating with Vit D sounds very promising. And great news about the celiac internist, and also your daughter getting on board :)

That was an interesting quote you posted about stress and infection, thanks!

I'm feeling a little bit more energetic this evening so I'm hoping I'm over the worst part of this thing and just on to the cold part.

Glad you are feeling a little better Andrea :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

So, I take it that there are no chiggers in the West? Looks like it.

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

The second link actually has the most info. Looks like calamine lotion is your best bet, April.

dlp252 Apprentice
I refuse to put petroleum, finger nail polish, gasoline, or ammonia on them!

Yikes! I don't blame you...hope you all get relief soon!

One very cool thing...I just made an appointment to see an internist who specialzes in celiac, got her name from this forum. It turns out my LLMD knows her well, and in fact, diagnosed her gluten sensitivity! So he said there will be no problem working together. I am really really happy about this.

Yay!!!! Very cool!

Yay, hope you ARE over the worst!

Hello to everyone! I've been scaring myself silly by reading the Internet about my foot surgery, lol. :rolleyes::lol:

AndreaB Contributor
Hello to everyone! I've been scaring myself silly by reading the Internet about my foot surgery, lol. :rolleyes::lol:

Uh oh. :huh:

Green12 Enthusiast
I've been scaring myself silly by reading the Internet about my foot surgery, lol. :rolleyes::lol:

I was just going to ask about you being scared silly :lol:

Is it the procedure itself, or something else related??

Green12 Enthusiast

Double post :D

Yeah Carla, most of us westerners don't have a clue what chiggers are :lol:

I do know they are in Kansas, my dad got them years ago there, so that's about as west as they are located I think.

dlp252 Apprentice
Is it the procedure itself, or something else related??

Both! :lol: I've known about the procedure since my appointment with him...they have to cut the bone, then realign it and put in a pin. Sounds drastic, but that's the common procedure...that's what my friend just had done (different doctor/medical practice) and talking to some other people on the fitness forum I belong to, that's what they had done too. So, while that didn't sound FUN, lol, I knew about it. Still, my doctor thought I'd be fairly mobile in a couple of weeks. My friend was down for 4 solid weeks, then very limited mobility for a couple more weeks, and only recently is back to a regular shoe.

I've been reading people's account of complications and stuff. I have to keep in mind that a majority of people are very happy with the surgery and that like on most forums, we only hear about the stuff that doesn't go well (although there were plenty of people who said it was the best thing they ever did). :P

aprilh Apprentice

I have bad congestion in my lungs from these chigger bites. i Read on the links that Carla sent that they can transfer scrub typhus but nothing noted in the usa. Maybe its an allergic type reaction. The kids don't have anything to note.

My hubby was possibly bit by a tick 2 x. He found 2 on him, though they were not attached. He has had some gastrointestinal symptoms yesterday. UGH! Hate diseased bugs!

I started some oregano oil, iodine, and garlic. Topically I have done iodine, baking soda, vit E, and hydrocortizone cream. I'll let you know which seems to work best.

CarlaB Enthusiast

The PA at my LLMD's office called. She said that for an attached tick they treat and don't wait for symptoms .... if it's in an endemic area ... our area is not endemic officially, BUT I got it here, and so did many people I know that the CDC is ignorant about.

So, she told me how they would treat if it were a patient of theirs and said not to make an appt. unless he starts having symptoms. :)

I'll run it by him, but I can't make him do anything he doesn't want to. I think it was stupid to take a landscaping job to begin with. He couldn't even handle taking Augmentin 10 days in a row for an infection last winter, I don't think he'll do it.

confusedks Enthusiast
So, I take it that there are no chiggers in the West? Looks like it.

Ewwwwww! I'm glad there's none here! :lol: Sounds horrible!

Green12 Enthusiast
Both! :lol: I've known about the procedure since my appointment with him...they have to cut the bone, then realign it and put in a pin.

I've been reading people's account of complications and stuff. I have to keep in mind that a majority of people are very happy with the surgery and that like on most forums, we only hear about the stuff that doesn't go well (although there were plenty of people who said it was the best thing they ever did). :P

Yikes Donna! I agree it's good to keep in mind that the majority of the people did well and are very happy with the results, and have those positive thoughts and vibes going into the surgery.

I have bad congestion in my lungs from these chigger bites. i Read on the links that Carla sent that they can transfer scrub typhus but nothing noted in the usa. Maybe its an allergic type reaction. The kids don't have anything to note.

My hubby was possibly bit by a tick 2 x. He found 2 on him, though they were not attached. He has had some gastrointestinal symptoms yesterday. UGH! Hate diseased bugs!

I started some oregano oil, iodine, and garlic. Topically I have done iodine, baking soda, vit E, and hydrocortizone cream. I'll let you know which seems to work best.

Oh no April! :(

I hope all that you have taken helps. Stupid diseased bugs indeed!

I'll run it by him, but I can't make him do anything he doesn't want to. I think it was stupid to take a landscaping job to begin with. He couldn't even handle taking Augmentin 10 days in a row for an infection last winter, I don't think he'll do it.

So sorry Carla :( I guess all you can do is give him the facts and info about treatment and then it's in his hands.

CarlaB Enthusiast
So sorry Carla :( I guess all you can do is give him the facts and info about treatment and then it's in his hands.

He said he's taking the meds. :) He's going to post on LN tonight .... I think it will be good for him to see what others tell him, too.

dlp252 Apprentice
He said he's taking the meds. :) He's going to post on LN tonight .... I think it will be good for him to see what others tell him, too.

Well THAT's encouraging!!!!

dlp252 Apprentice

Hi Mia...I see you!!! :P

Hey peeps....we are going to hit 2000 pages!!!!! Can you believe that?! :P

AndreaB Contributor

That is fantastic news! :D I was a little worried about that with his past objections. Sounds like actually seeing a tick has made him decide to go with the treatment to be safe. He also knows what it's done to you.

Donna,

2000 pages......hard to believe! :o

Archived