This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Www.chreese.com

pinkpei77

pinkpei77 Contributor

check out the website and under the specials there is a gluten-free sampler for only $13.50

and it comes with all kinds of stuff. i have personally tried everything they sell that is gluten-free and it is all wonderful!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator
check out the website and under the specials there is a gluten-free sampler for only $13.50

and it comes with all kinds of stuff. i have personally tried everything they sell that is gluten-free and it is all wonderful!!

That's good to hear :) I have their mac and cheese and have been a little afraid to try it--didn't think it would be that good... But you've given me some hope !

Mango04 Enthusiast
That's good to hear :) I have their mac and cheese and have been a little afraid to try it--didn't think it would be that good... But you've given me some hope !

I find with the mac and chreese, I have to use twice as much liquid as it calls for, and lots of olive oil (or you can use Earth Balance). Then I add some sea salt. Then it's pretty good. :D

ebrbetty Rising Star

Its funny how all our tastes are different, I tried the mac and cheese and 2 of the gravies..thought they were the worst thing I ever ate, so bad I eamailed them about it.

my son and hubby couldn't spit it out fast enough lol

Mango04 Enthusiast
Its funny how all our tastes are different, I tried the mac and cheese and 2 of the gravies..thought they were the worst thing I ever ate, so bad I eamailed them about it.

my son and hubby couldn't spit it out fast enough lol

I hear a lot of people say that. Maybe I find it edible becasue I really don't remember what real cheddar tastes like :lol:

elonwy Enthusiast

I have to say I've never bought thier stuff because the boxes are horribly unnatractive. I don't really have dairy issues though, so thats also another reason to just buy Annies or Tinkyada.

And seriously Chreese? Someone should talk to their marketing people.

I don't want to rile anyone up, but nothing about thier products say "eat me" to me at all.

Elonwy

Mango04 Enthusiast
I have to say I've never bought thier stuff because the boxes are horribly unnatractive. I don't really have dairy issues though, so thats also another reason to just buy Annies or Tinkyada.

And seriously Chreese? Someone should talk to their marketing people.

I don't want to rile anyone up, but nothing about thier products say "eat me" to me at all.

Elonwy

I agree on the name. haha. They think they're being clever since it's a vegan company and it's pronounced "trees." Maybe that was obvious but I didn't get it until I read it on their website.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Wow, I was on thier website and didn't pick up that tidbit. Thats a pretty inside joke. I know they're trying to be all "green" with thier packaging and everything, but still. I think I have a hesistancy because of bad luck with other gluten free things that turned out to be terrible. I have this thing, when I buy wine. "If you like the label, you'll probably like the wine" I don't know where I got it from, but it works pretty well. I think I extend that to other things as well.

Elonwy

pinkpei77 Contributor

i think it all depends on where you are from.. the company is from vermont ( which is where i am also)and thats what people up here enjoy.. i know the stuff cant stay on the shelves for more than a day or 2 .

people here arent really into "looks" not just food boxes .. im talking everything. hair, clothing, you name it.

dont get me wrong...its not redneck or white trash.. they'd just rather spend money on other things.

everyone has plenty of money.. its really expensive to live here and evryone has nice cars.. volvos , audis, subarus and nice houses!

they are just more concerend with politics and world issues.

im not from here.. i grew up in chicago so i know about city living and "vermont" living and it certainly took a lot of getting used to living here , but now i would never want to live anywhere else ( except when its 25 below zero outside) :P

people up here seem to like things that are good for them regardless of taste.

i didnt LOVE the chreese the first time i tried it but i added some stuff to it and made it yummy.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Ok well I was all excited when I saw the Shitake Mushroom Gravy but now i'm kinda torn as whether to try this. In NY we're big on packaging and taste. LOL!!!

I can overlook the packaging but Ebrbetty's review of the gravy didn't make me very hopeful.

eKatherine Rookie

For those of you who like it, what kind of cheese or cheese product did it most closely resemble? For those of you who thought it was gross, what was it about it that tasted so gross?

I'm a bit hesitant to order a bunch of stuff I might end up throwing out.

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

I don't think it resembles ANY cheese or cheese product. Sorry, but I vote yuck :blink:

eKatherine Rookie
I don't think it resembles ANY cheese or cheese product. Sorry, but I vote yuck :blink:

"Yuck" tells me you didn't like it, but it doesn't give me any idea of what it does taste like. Anybody?

Mango04 Enthusiast
"Yuck" tells me you didn't like it, but it doesn't give me any idea of what it does taste like. Anybody?

Hmmm...with the exception of trying raw organic goat cheese a few months ago, I haven't eaten cheese in about 12 years, so I don't know whether or not it resembles cheese. LOL. Have you ever tried nutritional yeast? It's made with that and lentil flour, which makes kind of a "cheesy" sauce when you mix it with liquid and heat it. I don't think there's anything you can compare it to really, except maybe the consistency is kind of like mac and cheese. It's exciting for me because I hadn't had mac and cheese in so long! I guess you have to eat it without expecting it to taste like mac and cheese though. It's just a random gluten-free/cf/sf convenience food haha

eKatherine Rookie

Here's the scoop: even though the store-finder button on the website told me it was not available in my area, I found the mac and cheese and the penne in the ever-expanding gluten-free section of my local supermarket. I cooked up the cheddar-style one. The verdict? First of all, the sauce/assembly recipe was wrong. Although it called for 1/4 cup of 'milk', it took about 3/4 cup of liquid to give it the consistency of mac and cheese. And there was something about the flavor... Besides the almond milk I added sherry, butter, more salt, white pepper, paprika, and red pepper, but whatever it was, it didn't cover. So I don't think I'll buy it again. I can probably make it better myself from scratch.

It probably would have been helped a lot by a big glob of sour cream, like I used to add to the Kraft mac and cheese...

Archived