This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Try This Treatment?

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

:o

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

Very interesting article. Mostly it makes ME think I need to quit sanitizing my kids hands all the time. I have heard we are too sanitary when it comes to our kids. I suppose if I were sick all the time it may be an option.

Monica

gfp Enthusiast

I guess we do it all the time without realising anyway but washing it down with gatorade must invoke some gag response?

However overall I have always classed celiac disease not as a weak immune system but the exact opposite, an over aggressive one.

I spent my childhood eating "properly dead" meat ... cooked through to a crisp and plastic cheeses and pasturised and boiled eggs.

Of course this is very popular with the farmers lobbies since they can lower the standards bar even lower...

Having moved to France via several continents i was at first horrified by the number of people eating raw meat and unpasturised cheeses and even raw eggs. Common wisdom told me these people should be ill.

Having celiac disease I had to train myself to eat raw fish... its one of the easiest things to get here guaranteed gluten-free from the right places. At first I had to completely force it down and fight vomiting ... I was never a big fan of any fish and raw ... yuck...

The first time i ate steak tartar I gagged on every mouthful and although I expected it to get easier towards the end of the pound of raw meat stacked in front of me I managed .. then I discovered carpaccio ... not quite so hard to eat and drounded in basalmic and lemon not THAT bad.

Now I quite frequently have carpaccio as a starter and steak tartar as a main course.... i eat unpasturised cheeses which is good because they are almost all ewe, goat so casein free too.

I wondered how the French, Italians and Spanish manage this .... how come their health statistics are better than the UK and way ahead of the US interms of life expectancy and infant mortality when they eat RAW meat, eggs and cheeses?

Well partly its a quality issue. For instance A UK supermarket will have several choices of eggs and perhaps one premium free range choice. In France its the reverse, several free range choices and one battery farm and the same buying a chicken... indeed you choose the actual race of chicken as well.

Beef is all certified and you buy beef from a specific race of cow etc. etc. and the cheesemakers take great care of their flocks in terms of pasteur, nutrition etc. because when they get the milk THEY make the cheese, they don't sell it and send it all off to be mixed....

In terms of immune system response I guess the raw stuff causes some challenge yet if the WHO stats are half right these people are living longer and healthier .... Im not saying that's proof that its good for you but certainly if it were bad for us surely the stats would show this, not the opposite.

minibabe Contributor

I got to the second paragraph about worm eggs and almost threw up..... :(

def. not for me :)

thanks for sharing

Amanda NY

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Open Original Shared Link

:o

Karen

Maybe they could try making these folks gluten free for a while first. Another case of looking for something to cur ethe symptoms rather than the cause.

penguin Community Regular

eww.

tarnalberry Community Regular

How many people do we know who've told us "I could never cut out bread for life? That's just going too far for treatment." Much the same thing, really.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
How many people do we know who've told us "I could never cut out bread for life? That's just going too far for treatment." Much the same thing, really.

Yep people seem OK about eating live yeasts or "good bacteria" .... but worms seems ??

flagbabyds Collaborator

i would NEVER be able to do that!

i would NEVER be able to do that!

I'm with you, Molly! :P

flagbabyds Collaborator

i thinks just knowing that was in my system would give me a stomach ache!

I would be heaving at the thought as soon as I swallowed them - kinda like a Fear Factor episode!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Not having inflamatory bowel disease, I can't imagine resorting to eating worms. However, if I didn't have gluten intolerance, I couldn't imagine not eating gluten. I guess it would depend how sick I was. I know that when I was sick with this, I would have tried anything.

I think everything in our culture is too sanitary. I mean, I keep a clean house, but that's not what I'm talking about. I do not use antibacterial soap because two of my kids get rashes on their hands when they use it. I even send them to school with their own soap. Also, we kill of bacteria with antibiotics, then have to take bacteria to replace it.

We used to live out in the country. The fields where our food is grown look sanitary. They totally kill everything with the pesticides, herbicides and plowing. So, when we buy our veggies, then use a wash to clean them, we get no bacteria. It used to be that people got a certain amount of dirt in their food, but not anymore.

On the other hand, I use those shopping cart wipes on the handle of the shopping cart to avoid getting sick from every kid that has ridden in the cart with a cold. Being clean in certain ways makes sense, in others we take it too far.

The worms are gross, but you all know how it is when you get sick, you just want to get better.

corinne Apprentice

The thought of having worms is gross, but worm eggs are so small you probably wouldn't even notice them when you swallowed them. I think if absolutely nothing worked and I was facing a bowel resection I'd give it a try.

Archived