This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Migraines

GlutenWrangler

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have had migraines all my life. They are are pretty well under control now with medication. I could go 2 months without one. I have noticed since going gluten-free that I have had a lot more. About 4 in the past two weeks. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen? Thanks.

-Brian

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

I wonder if it's a matter of time? I actually went from a life of migraines to only getting them now when I have gluten. It could be that you have to heal first. There is a very strong gut/brain reaction for me with food sensitivities - nearly every food I have a problem with will give me a migraine. Also, stomach upset for any reason can cause one in me. I'm lucky I have so few now!

Give it time?

Stephanie

tarnalberry Community Regular

I developed migraines after going gluten free. I get them without having been glutened. Sometimes gluten-free status makes a difference, sometimes not.

Mongoose Rookie
Hello Everyone,

I have had migraines all my life. They are are pretty well under control now with medication. I could go 2 months without one. I have noticed since going gluten-free that I have had a lot more. About 4 in the past two weeks. Has anyone else had this type of thing happen? Thanks.

-Brian

Brian,

Sometimes headaches/migraines are symptoms of a food allergy. Gluten intolerance tends to mask other allergies and intolerances, so it could be that you're allergic to something and just don't know yet what it is. Have you tried getting tested for food allergies? It could be something you are eating now that you didn't eat before going gluten-free.

Another thought -- my companion continued to get headaches after going gluten-free which finally went away when we went casein free too.

Best of luck in figuring this out!

sspitzer5 Apprentice

Hi Brian,

I haven't had migraines, but I get headaches pretty much everyday. Initially they were better on a gluten free diet, but then they got worse again (and I'm sure it isn't a contamination thing). I'm trying to rule out other food intolerances now. It's a pain, but I'd do practically anything to get rid of the headaches. Urg!

Susan

Hi Brian,

I haven't had migraines, but I get headaches pretty much everyday. Initially they were better on a gluten free diet, but then they got worse again (and I'm sure it isn't a contamination thing). I'm trying to rule out other food intolerances now. It's a pain, but I'd do practically anything to get rid of the headaches. Urg!

Susan

dairy definitely caused some headaches (not migraines) for me, and it helped to entirely eliminate dairy for me. (my migraines came after eliminating dairy, and do not appear to be food related.)

I cut out dairy when I cut out gluten, so I know its not that. I really should get tested for food allergies. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks for the input.

-Brian

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

Are you getting enough to eat? Hunger or low blood sugar often triggers migraines for me, & if you have cut out a lot of starchy foods without replacing the calories, you could be operating at a calorie deficit. That would definitely set off the headaches in my case. If you think this might be the problem, try keeping some nuts handy for "emergency" snacks(if you can eat them), & try not too let too much time pass between meals.

Another thing that can trigger them for me is dehydration-- are you getting enough water? If you are eating proportionally more protein than before (due to fewer carbs) that can cause some dehydration.

Good luck. I've only had a couple of migraines since going gluten free about a month ago, & that's a low number for me, so I'm hoping some of mine were gluten-triggered. I hope you can figure out what's causing yours.

Leah

Leah,

I am definitely getting enough fluid everyday. I have to drink around 3 gallons of water and gatorade to keep my self from getting dehydrated every day.

But on the other hand I'm definitely not getting enough to eat. I'm trying to be careful since going gluten-free and I'm only eating what I know I can tolerate. Unfortunately, that isn't very much. I have bacon and eggs when I get up. Later on I have a small cube steak with ketchup and a baked potato (salt only). Last, I have a half cup of plain yogurt. That's it, every day. I bought some Lay's potato chips because I read that they were safe. I felt awful afterwards, so that's out. I bought some Planter's honey roasted peanuts as well, but now I can't figure out if they are gluten free. I should really just order a bunch of food from the gluten-free mall. Everything is such a hassle. Anyway thanks,

-Brian

Leah,

I am definitely getting enough fluid everyday. I have to drink around 3 gallons of water and gatorade to keep my self from getting dehydrated every day.

But on the other hand I'm definitely not getting enough to eat. I'm trying to be careful since going gluten-free and I'm only eating what I know I can tolerate. Unfortunately, that isn't very much. I have bacon and eggs when I get up. Later on I have a small cube steak with ketchup and a baked potato (salt only). Last, I have a half cup of plain yogurt. That's it, every day. I bought some Lay's potato chips because I read that they were safe. I felt awful afterwards, so that's out. I bought some Planter's honey roasted peanuts as well, but now I can't figure out if they are gluten free. I should really just order a bunch of food from the gluten-free mall. Everything is such a hassle. Anyway thanks,

-Brian

The produce section is filled with fruits and vegetables, many of which don't even need to be cooked, that you don't have to give a second thought to their gluten status or contamination.

I tried adding fresh fruits and veggies when I first went gluten-free, and it didn't go over too well with my stomach. I felt full and bloated for hours after eating a peach. I know that I should keep trying things, but every time I do it turns out to be a disaster.

queenofhearts Explorer
I tried adding fresh fruits and veggies when I first went gluten-free, and it didn't go over too well with my stomach. I felt full and bloated for hours after eating a peach. I know that I should keep trying things, but every time I do it turns out to be a disaster.

I'm a big believer in nuts if you need to add digestible calories-- but don't get the kind in the snack aisle, get the plain unadulterated kind used for baking. If you have a source for fresh, unpackaged ones, they taste a lot better & are cheaper than the packaged kind. I think almonds & pecans are a bit easier to digest than peanuts, though I eat lots of both.

Don't have a lot all at once-- the idea is to nibble a few every hour or so-- for me this really helps stave off the ups & downs that trigger headaches.

Also fresh-ground peanut butter is good. You can spread it on an apple slice or a rice cake. I also make an Asian-style dip with it that I use for rice crackers & veggies, but that's spicy so it might not sit well with you right now.

Do keep trying on the fruits & veggies, a little at a time-- they are so good for you, & the fruit will help you with calories. Lots of folks find they can tolerate applesauce if fresh fruit is a problem-- have you tried that? Just the plain kind is best. And try eating another real meal instead of just yogurt for dinner, even if you have to repeat the lunch menu. What about some rice? That's perfectly safe & very digestible. If you find it a lot of trouble to prepare, make a bigger batch & refrigerate the leftovers so you can heat them up as you need them.

Hope these ideas help.

Leah

Leah,

Thanks for all of the information and advice. I haven't tried eating nuts or applesauce, so I will definitely give that a try. I have had rice and I have no trouble with it. I definitely need to add more calories, so this should help. I have lost 45 pounds since November. The only reason that I eat the yogurt is for the active bacteria cultures. It has always helped with the D. Otherwise though I hate eating it. I'm really new at all this. I just got my results back three days ago, although I've been gluten free for a couple weeks. It makes it twice as hard having to cut out dairy. The reason why I eat so little is because I get dehydrated really easily, especially if I eat a big meal, or even an average meal. The dehydration is the worst out of all symptoms for me. So in that respect I guess I tend to be overly cautious. Anyway thanks for the help and advice.

-Brian

queenofhearts Explorer
Leah,

Thanks for all of the information and advice. I haven't tried eating nuts or applesauce, so I will definitely give that a try. I have had rice and I have no trouble with it. I definitely need to add more calories, so this should help. I have lost 45 pounds since November. The only reason that I eat the yogurt is for the active bacteria cultures. It has always helped with the D. Otherwise though I hate eating it. I'm really new at all this. I just got my results back three days ago, although I've been gluten free for a couple weeks. It makes it twice as hard having to cut out dairy. The reason why I eat so little is because I get dehydrated really easily, especially if I eat a big meal, or even an average meal. The dehydration is the worst out of all symptoms for me. So in that respect I guess I tend to be overly cautious. Anyway thanks for the help and advice.

-Brian

One other thought, Brian-- doesn't yogurt contain lots of casein? I know that lactose-intolerant folks can handle it because the culture bacteria sort of pre-digest the lactose, but I suspect it doesn't fully break down the casein. Just a thought. I love yogurt myself, & it helps with my digestion as well, but I can tolerate all dairy except regular milk. I think you can get the live cultures in a non-dairy form, maybe try searching on this site.

Good luck,

Leah

Ursa Major Collaborator

Brian, a few thoughts:

I am intolerant to the nightshade family, and especially tomatoes give me migraines, but potatoes will trigger headaches as well (and ketchup for sure!). It could be that the potato you eat every day might be the culprit!

You definitely aren't eating enough. When I first went gluten-free I couldn't tolerate anything raw, not even fruit, for about six months. I had to cook all my veggies and fruits before eating them, otherwise I'd get terrible stomach cramps and D. So, cook your vegetables and fruits (and if you don't want to cook, canned ones are better than nothing, just make sure they are just plain, no sauce, no additives).

Why do you eat only a small cube steak, what's wrong with a nice big steak? How tall are you? I bet you are starving yourself! That's not healthy. You really need to figure out what you can safely eat, you need to eat more.

Leah,

You're absolutely right about the casein in yogurt. I'm stunned that it didn't dawn on me. I must have been in the lactose state of mind. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I won't miss the yogurt at all anyway.

Ursula,

I will try cooking fruits and vegetables. Anything to add some calories. I'm 5'10", and I do feel like I'm starving myself. I would eat a bigger steak if it didn't take so long to cook. I want to go out to eat but it seems like a nightmare trying to figure out what to eat. Thanks.

-Brian

Ursa Major Collaborator

Brian, because of my many intolerances, when I want a quick meal I make stir fries (even for breakfast). I use often just ground beef, brown that with onions, and then throw a bunch of cut-up veggies in with it, put a lid on and let it all simmer until done, and have a whole meal, that is healthy and satisfying. You can use beef strips or chicken strips, too.

Sometimes I use a couple of those fast-fry steaks and throw my vegetables in when they are done on one side. I do have a large stainless steel frying pan with a lid, though, to accomodate a whole meal. Just some thoughts on how to make things easier for you.

Ursula,

That actually sounds really good to me. I'm not too good at cooking but it sounds easy enough. I'm really sick of the cube steak anyway. It always comes out dry with no flavor. I appreciate the ideas you've been giving me. It's not looking so bad afterall. Thanks again,

-Brian

• 3 months later...
elligal Newbie
Leah,

-Brian

Doesn't ketchup contain gluten? And you really do need more vareity and calories. Try visiting a health food store or make an appointment with a licenced nutritionist.

Archived