Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

floridanative

Best gluten-free Pie Crust And Flours

Oh I never heard of Spectrum shortening but it sounds more healthy than Crisco.

Thanks Lynne for the offer of the recipe but I'm going to try the GFP mix. It seems someone else needs it though. But I will try your frozen blueberry idea. I'll actually get them at WF - don't like Kroger, never did. There is one being remodeled near me and I went in once and it smelled so bad. Just the way it would when it needs to be remodeled. So maybe it will be nicer and I'll check out their gluten-free fare. I've hear they have a lot of stuff for much less than WF.

Thanks Lpellagar for that pie crust recipe!!

:doing the happy dance: I just made pop-tarts, sort of! I made that crust and pushed it into little rounds w/raspberry jam inside. Threw some powdered sugar on top, yummy!!

I can't wait for my dd to get home to try them!!

I'm glad that pie crust recipe is working for people, but the credit goes to Bette Hagman, and to my grandmother for teaching me how to make a good crust! I want to try it one of these days to make something like meat pies to put in the freezer - I used to love Amy's spinach and feta pocket sandwiches, and something like Hot Pockets would be nice. Mmmm, crust.

doing the happy dance: I just made pop-tarts, sort of! I made that crust and pushed it into little rounds w/raspberry jam inside. Threw some powdered sugar on top, yummy!!

I can't wait for my dd to get home to try them!!

Cheri,

Did she like them? I might try that if it was a hit.

Hi Cheri :D I love the Spectrum Shortening, too!

I've had a container for months and have been waiting for a recipe to use it in! Maybe I'll try it out in an apple pie crust :)

I've had a container for months and have been waiting for a recipe to use it in! Maybe I'll try it out in an apple pie crust :)

Yes! Definately give it a try! I think you'll be pleased :D

Try it Jen!!

Liz ~ well the rest of us liked it ALOT, but she wasn't as excited about it. She ate it, but didn't seem thrilled. Might have been her mood though. Try them!! They weren't very *pretty* since I was in a rush to do them though. I will make them again though!

I made quiche for Sunday brunch and was plesantly surpised that not only did the Gillian's gluten-free pic crust (ready made) not burn, it was actually edible too. It is not something one would rave over but also I would not hesitate to serve it to guests without mentioning it's gluten free. I really was not that different from a Pet Ritz crust which after all is rather bland as well. The only issue with this crust is that it is VERY fragile so you have to place in buggy carefully when shopping, when loading car and when putting it in freezer. If not, you'll end up with no top crust around the edge like me. I had about 1/2 left when I went to put it in the oven.

Next I'll be trying the GFP flour mix for my pumpkin bread. I'm hoping to fool my FIL with it. I'll tell you I really like cooking and baking now BUT I don't need all those extra calories so I'm trying to pace myself.

I found a quiche recipe that calls for a hash brown crust so I'm trying that one next time. Of course I don't own a pie plate so I guess I should rustle one up. The frozen kind come in the diposable pan and that's all I've ever used, including the Gillian's gluten-free crust. Wonder if the $1 store has a decent pie plate?.......

I made a peach pie with the above recipe for vinegar crust recently & it was devoured greedily by all! I must confess I too used butter, but in ADDITION to shortening! (I like a really rich crust, like the classic pate brise.) It was nice & flaky & crisp, a real hit. Thanks for the suggestion!

Leah

Okay - I only bake about 4 times a year. Make homemade pumpkin bread from Family cookbook in the Fall and pecan pies over the winter holidays. I am so NOT a cook, I always used Pet Ritz pie crusts for the pies.

I now want to attempt making a no-bake peanut butter/choc. pie but it calls for a graham crakers crust (that part is baked, of course). So what do you use as an alternative to graham crakers? I'm not ready to bake homemade graham crackers at this point but would like suggestions as to what to use in place of them - some gluten-free item already made that I can mix with the sugar butter like the recipe calls for.

Next I want to make pumpkin bread for the upcoming family reunion. It calls for 3 cups flour - I'm getting a pre-made mix but there are several types - would I need just reg. gluten-free mix, not self rising?

Last but not least, I want to try using a gluten-free pie crust mix for my pecan pies. Two I'm considering are Breads from Anna mix and GFP mix? Anywone know which is easier?

I did find Gillian's' gluten-free frozen pie crusts at WF so I'm going to use one for a quiche just to see if it's any good. Has anyone tried it and if so, it is edible?

HERE YOU GO!!

I save all the labeling off all the gluten-free products that I like in an envelope. It is so hard to keep track of what worked and what didnt.. I loved the homestyle pie crust mix from " Cause Your Special".. It worked well..