This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What About Medical Braclets/necklaces?

dahams04

dahams04 Apprentice

Does anyone have one for thier kiddos? Hunter is starting preschool next month, (they switch subs some days.) I think I am going to get him one. What should I put on it? TIA!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My daughter has one, as she's allergic to peanuts. She's 5 and has been wearing one since she was 17 months old. I might have to order her another one. Her's says, "Peanut Allergy, Call Immediately" - but I'm thinking of changing it to "multiple food allergy, severe peanut allergy."

Personally, I think it's a good idea. Even if you don't have an actual "medic alert" bracelet, some kind of identification bracelet is a good idea. Her's is a "genuine" medic alert, so it's connected to a number, which is connected with her entire medical history - accessable by EMT's /Doctors at a moments notice.

Since my dh and I are both "techie dorks" - I've given much thought to the "flash keychain" so I don't have to continue to pay for medic alert. It's a flash drive that plugs into a USB port - containing all pertinent information. You can purchase them with the medical logo on it, or just have a normal one that can be accessed.

Anyhow, I like the idea.

Jodele Apprentice
Since my dh and I are both "techie dorks" - I've given much thought to the "flash keychain" so I don't have to continue to pay for medic alert. It's a flash drive that plugs into a USB port - containing all pertinent information. You can purchase them with the medical logo on it, or just have a normal one that can be accessed.

Anyhow, I like the idea.

That is a great Idea!!! :D:D

I am a computer tech and I never thought of that I have a flash keychain all ready. I could have one of those medical alert charms glued to it. I have a bad reaction to anasesia (sp). I almost died thie fist time I had surgry. I like to wearing braceletts and neckleces. but I can put that on my keyring and have it with me all the time. Thanks for that great info.

Jodele

Ursa Major Collaborator

I have multiple medical problems, and just got a new medic alert bracelet. I think to get one just for celiac disease is a good idea for children, as people will take their gluten intolerance much more serious if they wear one, I think.

I would just have on it: "Celiac disease, intolerant to wheat, rye, barley, oats", so that people who don't know what celiac disease is, will able to read what foods he can't have. Then, if he can't explain it, either, he can tell them to read what his bracelet says. You might want to get him one of those sports straps, as they are more rugged than a thin chain. Here is a link to the sports bands Open Original Shared Link

Here is the link to what choices they have, including the new usb flash drive device with the information, which is a key ring. Pretty cool, too, for adults. Open Original Shared Link

skipper30 Enthusiast

We got the id for our 3 year old who has Celiac. We also have a few t shirts that say..food allergy, or do not feed me with out talking to my parnets first. He is ok with the id bracelet...but he loves the shirts...and others have commented on them as well. He wears the shirts when we have get togethers with mulitple families or to church outings...hope that helps.

gfp Enthusiast
That is a great Idea!!! :D:D

I am a computer tech and I never thought of that I have a flash keychain all ready. I could have one of those medical alert charms glued to it. I have a bad reaction to anasesia (sp). I almost died thie fist time I had surgry. I like to wearing braceletts and neckleces. but I can put that on my keyring and have it with me all the time. Thanks for that great info.

Jodele

I keep my passport and other stuff on mine.

3 yrs ago on vacation I lost my wallet with ID, driving license and everything ... I found a internet cafe and printed out the relevant stuff and my bank details, photo ID etc. and my girlfriend who had previously laughed at the idea asked for one for her birthday.

Adding medical info is a great idea.... perhaps for kids a simple bracelet as well which says medical detials on USB key???

flagbabyds Collaborator

ive got 3 (one necklace, two bracelet, that i wear most of the time. one for celiac, one for asthma, and one for my other food allergies. it works great and now i also have ID all the time

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I think I will be getting one since I have food allergies and I will put celiac disease on the bracelet as well.

dahams04 Apprentice
We got the id for our 3 year old who has Celiac. We also have a few t shirts that say..food allergy, or do not feed me with out talking to my parnets first. He is ok with the id bracelet...but he loves the shirts...and others have commented on them as well. He wears the shirts when we have get togethers with mulitple families or to church outings...hope that helps.

What does his bracelet say? I like the sports bracelets listed above, but I dont see where to order them...?

Ursa Major Collaborator
What does his bracelet say? I like the sports bracelets listed above, but I dont see where to order them...?

Right now (until 4:00) the medic alert site isn't accessible, so I couldn't go and look. But I know you order right from the site, I've done it (from the Canadian site, of course). You have to become a member at the same time, since they keep your info, so doctors or medics can call them for details, doctor's phone no. etc. I'll have another look later, when they're back online.

skipper30 Enthusiast

Cooper's bracelet just says Celiac Disease. However...I think that having that as well as all of the pertinent info on a USB key chain would be a fab idea...I mean it seems that some of these GI doc's know squat about Celiac...how could you expect a ER doc to be in the know....Try these links:(hope they work)

Bracelet: www.n-styleid.com (lots of cute kid choices)

Stickers:www.safetystickerstore.com or www.nurserysafe.com

Tshirts: www.cafepress.com (just search for food allergy ) or www.allergators.com

We use a combination of all of these things depending where we are going.

Dallas

Archived