This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Favorite White Bread?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

whats your favorite basic store bought white bread thats also dairy free?

now that i found lactose free American cheese i want to make grilled cheese sandwiches and all the store bough breads i've had either have dairy or taste terrible.

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momandgirls Enthusiast

We make our own bread using Pamela's mix. It's our absolute favorite. I was never able to find a store bought bread that we liked. I'd love to know what the lactose free American cheese is. What is the brand and where did you find it? Thanks!

mythreesuns Contributor
whats your favorite basic store bought white bread thats also dairy free?

Kinnikinnik bread isn't too bad, but it's spongy if it's not toasted, so it'd be perfect for grilled cheese.

Whole Foods also has a white bread that's not bad.

You have to look in the frozen food section for both of these breads. Kinnikinnik is only availabe at certain stores (I found one near me from their website) and Whole Foods bread is obviously at Whole Foods. ;)

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks, I bought the pamelas but brought it back because it had dairy in it :(

I buy "lactaid" brand american cheese slices, thank god for them, real cheese again!! their ice cream and cottage cheese is great too..milk of course lol

spunky Contributor

I like the Tapioca Loaf...I think it's Ener-G brand, but I really can't remember for sure...it's the only tapioca loaf I've ever seen. Kind of expensive, but I grill it on top of the stove and make grilled cheese (I use fake, casein-free cheese), peanut butter/jelly, all kinds of sandwiches (after grilling the slices first), and even French toast. We've liked it pretty well.

pinkpei77 Contributor
thanks, I bought the pamelas but brought it back because it had dairy in it :(

did you buy the amazing wheat free bread mix?

because i make this one all the time and its dairy free

jerseyangel Proficient

The Whole Foods Sandwich Bread has milk in it :(

On the rare occasion I eat bread, I like the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix. It's super simple to make--just mix it up in a big bowl, and bake it in the oven :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Ener-G Foods' Corn Loaf is gluten, dairy, soy, egg and sugar free. and fantastic. My husband tried an Ener-G foods bread sampler pack and loved Corn Loaf much more than other NRG bread products. He's not even celiac, but avoids gluten to avoid arthritis symptoms. We're lucky in the Seattle area to not only have Ener-G but also a local gluten free bakery/restaurant 'Da Vinci's' whose owner features an 'EDS' (egg, dairy, soy, gluten free) bread which looks like a white bread but tastes great. She sometimes adds sweet potato flour and pecans (my favorite) to her EDS recipes. Kinnikinnick also has some great 'white' breads.

BURDEE

ebrbetty Rising Star
Ener-G Foods' Corn Loaf is gluten, dairy, soy, egg and sugar free. and fantastic. My husband tried an Ener-G foods bread sampler pack and loved Corn Loaf much more than other NRG bread products. He's not even celiac, but avoids gluten to avoid arthritis symptoms. We're lucky in the Seattle area to not only have Ener-G but also a local gluten free bakery/restaurant 'Da Vinci's' whose owner features an 'EDS' (egg, dairy, soy, gluten free) bread which looks like a white bread but tastes great. She sometimes adds sweet potato flour and pecans (my favorite) to her EDS recipes. Kinnikinnick also has some great 'white' breads.

BURDEE

does the corn loaf taste like corn or like real bread?

thanks everyone

lapetit8 Explorer

My favorite is the navy bean white bread from Celiac Specialties. Celiac Specialties is based in Michigan, but you can order from there website.

Kinnikinnick white bread is OK when toasted. Otherwise, as someone said above...it tastes like a sponge.

Whole Foods bread is alright. It's fairly thick and is about 500 calories for 2 small slices. I believe it is rice based.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

ebrbetty, is it the lactose in dairy that's a problem for you or the casein?

burdee Enthusiast
does the corn loaf taste like corn or like real bread?

thanks everyone

I think it tastes like a good sour dough bread and makes great sandwiches. It's low carb, low calorie and high fiber ... just what I want in a sandwich bread so I can load up on fillings. LOL

BURDEE

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks Burdee!

yes, I'm lactose intolerant

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Sterks sandwhich bread.

ebrbetty Rising Star
Sterks sandwhich bread.

never heard of it, where do you find it?

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Sterk's is hard to find. I used to be able to buy it in health food stores on Prince Edward Island.

I did a search on google and found this:

Open Original Shared Link

Go to breads, buns and mixes and then look for Sterk's Sandwich bread. It should be on the second page.

ebrbetty Rising Star
Sterk's is hard to find. I used to be able to buy it in health food stores on Prince Edward Island.

I did a search on google and found this:

Open Original Shared Link

Go to breads, buns and mixes and then look for Sterk's Sandwich bread. It should be on the second page.

thank you

I heard the Prince Edward Island is beautiful, one of my long time favorite movies takes place there lol

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I heard the Prince Edward Island is beautiful, one of my long time favorite movies takes place there lol
PEI is beautiful, with probably some of the nicest beaches in North America. Are you talking about Anne of Green Gables?
ebrbetty Rising Star

yes, I am :D don't tell me, its not really there????

• 3 weeks later...
Robina Contributor
Kinnikinnik bread isn't too bad, but it's spongy if it's not toasted, so it'd be perfect for grilled cheese.

Whole Foods also has a white bread that's not bad.

You have to look in the frozen food section for both of these breads. Kinnikinnik is only availabe at certain stores (I found one near me from their website) and Whole Foods bread is obviously at Whole Foods. ;)

I tried grilled cheese with the Kinnikinnik... I thought it was disgusting... shoulda put tomato or something on it to flavor it a little... I'm soooo looking forward to getting my bread from gfbreadbasket... I heard on here that it is waaaaay better than what we're used to tasting in our gluten-free bread...

Robina Contributor

Got my order from gluten free breadbasket today... I bought the country white bread, crusty rolls, bagels and bread crumbs...

Tested out a slice of the country white with peanut butter... toasted... and it's not too bad... I mean it's not as tasty as regular glutenous breads obviously but it will do the job... the texture and taste of this bread is the closest to regular bread as I've tried... it is definitely waaaaay better than the different brands I've tried... including Kinickkinicks or whatever the heck it's called... anyway I'm trying out a crusty roll tonight when the family has italian sausage sandwiches...

Archived