Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mahee34

Please Help My Poor Stomach

So basically last night I did the same old thing...had my dinner , nothing out of the ordinary about it...only last night I had Barqs Root Beer...now maybe this will be solved quickly and someone will tell me that it isn't gluten free...but my stomach is killing me today...and honestly, I don't want to take immodium everytime that i feel like i have a bubble of gas in my stomach because my biggest fear is that my body will stop reacting to the immodium...and that's a scary thought! I'm sure you can all relate! So my question is, can we have pepto or anything else when we are feeling "glutened" without the D symptoms? I had been feeling so great for the past two weeks toO!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, you could have been glutened by root beer. Because it may contain malted barley. Here is a company that produces gluten-free root beer: Virgil's Root Beer

Here is a list of what may be in root beer: Root beer ingredients list

I find that sepia helps my stomach when glutened. It is a homeopathic remedy you'll find in your health food store.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically last night I did the same old thing...had my dinner , nothing out of the ordinary about it...only last night I had Barqs Root Beer...now maybe this will be solved quickly and someone will tell me that it isn't gluten free...but my stomach is killing me today...and honestly, I don't want to take immodium everytime that i feel like i have a bubble of gas in my stomach because my biggest fear is that my body will stop reacting to the immodium...and that's a scary thought! I'm sure you can all relate! So my question is, can we have pepto or anything else when we are feeling "glutened" without the D symptoms? I had been feeling so great for the past two weeks toO!

OH YES, Most definitely the root beer!! It's on the "Do Not Consume" list unless you find/order certain ones that are definitely gluten-free, i'm almost absolutely positive Barqs has lots of gluten! Go to this website www.csaceliacs.org and i believe you may find a list of foods and drinks not to consume.

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

well that is fantastic! at least this explains what the heck is up with my stomach!! thanks!!

any ideas other than immodium and Ursula's suggestion...which would be beneficial if I lived anywhere remotely close to a natural or health food store...yes there are actually downsides to living at the beach! who knew! :unsure:

Barq's Root Beer is gluten-free. (It's a Coca Cola Company) There could be something in there, a flavoring or something that didn't agree with you. Possibly something you ate earlier in the day?

Anyway, I hope your stomach feels better soon! I know what you mean about the Immodium! I only use it in an emergency, but those times it saves my life :D I don't know what I'd do if it quit working on me.

Can you lay down with a heating pad on your stomach for a while?

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Barq's Root Beer is very proud of their glutenfree status. You were not glutened by it. You could be intolerant to some of the other flavorings they use, as you are describing the same symptoms I get whenever I drink Barq's. I now drink Natural Brew root beer.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

well that is fantastic! at least this explains what the heck is up with my stomach!! thanks!!

any ideas other than immodium and Ursula's suggestion...which would be beneficial if I lived anywhere remotely close to a natural or health food store...yes there are actually downsides to living at the beach! who knew! :unsure:

when i have a bad stomach ache, i have a hot bath, drink chamomile or ginger tea by "traditional medicinals", eat a banana, lots of water, rice cakes and plain rice.

i hope you feel better !

Jess

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Barq's Root Beer is very proud of their glutenfree status. You were not glutened by it. You could be intolerant to some of the other flavorings they use, as you are describing the same symptoms I get whenever I drink Barq's. I now drink Natural Brew root beer.

Ohhhh...maybe that's why rootbeer is on that list i read from. So, it's not the gluten but possibly some sort of flavoring?? Wow, that's pretty interesting!

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"