Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brizzo

Doctor Vs. Test Results

Just a quick question to anyone who wants to answer. I got enterolab results back and they where positive. I told my doc and he wants to do a blood test for celiac. only problem is that I have been on a gluten-free diet for 2 months now. Am I wasting my time doing the blood test. Will it show a false negative?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have read that the blood work wouldn't be reliable outside of even a few weeks, unless you had a lot of damage. You're numbers are low like mine. I was gluten lite when I did the enterolab tests and opted out of getting bloodwork done.

Really, it's up to you, whether you want to go through with it for a possible false negative. I had allergy/intolerance testing done before enterolab so I knew I was moderately intolerant to begin with.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I think after two months gluten-free you're pushing it - but then again doctors routinely test patients who've been gluten-free six months to a year for refractory sprue and/or compliance.

So if you do get tested, and it's still high, then you get an "official" by-bloodwork-diagnosis making your doctor happy AND you know there's something gluteny in Denmark. ;)

Especially with the low numbers that enterolab found, I'd bet that a standard blood test would show you quite negative and wouldn't bother. but that's my own opinion about what I would do in the situation.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Have you been officially diagnosed with DH? If so, that's pretty much a clear sign of Celiac.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Have you been officially diagnosed with DH? If so, that's pretty much a clear sign of Celiac.

Yes, you say in your signature you've been a DH sufferer since 2003. If you have been officially diagnosed with DH, then you automatically also have a firm celiac disease diagnosis, and need to be gluten-free for life, no question about it, and no more tests needed.

And yes, it is highly unlikely you would get a positive blood test after two months gluten-free, and I think it would be a waste to even try.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I should probably change that DH thing.... I am positive for gluten sensitivity from enterolab. I have self diagnosed the DH thing because of about a 70% improvement in my skin symptoms with a gluten-free diet.

I posted so you could see my Enterolab numbers. Enterolab tests were done in March, 100% gluten-free in December, gluten-lite for three years prior to Dec. blood work, which was negative.

I get a rash on my scalp, too. Much of it looks like blisters. My doc says it's likely from the constant inflammation in my system rather than DH. It's improving now that I'm gluten-free, but my system isn't as inflammed anymore either.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06