Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skinnyminny

Wendy's

I had some Wendy's the other day after reading this thread. The frosty was good, the baked potato was . . . well, a baked potato. The chili . . . it was good, but I don't think I'll ever eat it again. I didn't get any gluten from that whole experience but I just felt gross because it was fast food. I haven't had fast food in like 3 years, so I was thoroughly grossed out.

Frostys are cool, though.

I used to be able to eat those items, and now I get sick. I wonder if the lettuce they use is treated with something that has gluten in it. I don't think these companies really check out everything, they may look for the "wheat" but not the Preservative that could have gluten in it. As my husband tells everyone, my stomach does not lie.

I was planning on being out alot this weekend and just wanted to check on the wendys web site to make sure my old faithful Chili was good to go.. when I did look at there gluten free options they have added their BLT Salad.. their Mandrian Orange Salad and the grilled chicken without the bun. Are these things safe? Has anyone tried them. i thought their chicken use to have glutenous soy sauce? Also can we have frostys?

As the mother of a teenage daughter who has worked in the food industry for 4 years, I would not trust any restaurant. Much less a fast food restaurant. :blink:

Even though my daughter understands how food allergies work, she is only there for the money and her mind is on other things (boys) most of the time. And some places are so busy the waitresses hardly have time to keep up with their tables, much less be careful with our food ..

I know she was giving customers regular coffee instead of decaf for awhile ... :blink: She knows the difference, but since caffeine doesn't keep her awake, this just didn't seem important.

I have personally found hamburger patty in my chili at Wendy's. In a kitchen full of teenagers there are bound to be mistakes ....

JMHO ... marcia

My Wendy's throws the messed-up burgers in the trash. My Sonic lets the customer keep the messed-up burger, and makes them a new one.

Yeah, the Wendy's next to my office throws away the bad burgers too. I don't see how they coul keep it - the kitchen is in full view of the customers. The old burgers in the chili is another Celiac Urban Legend.

Now, if you do want to be careful and gluten free at wendy's, here is what you do.

1. Ask for the manager.

2. Ask him to make your food with clean gloves (the normal clooks use the same gloves all day - so the bun touching will cause cross contamination).

3. ask if the fries are cooked in dedicated fryers

4. Ask if the fries and the nuggets are touched by the same utensil in the "heat lamp" area. This is a common area of cross contamination that many Celiacs do not think about *************

5. do not get condomints at Wendys from the cooking area. They are put on the burger via a ladle that touches the buns on other burgers. THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER ********** The ketchup in the customer area (i.e. the "pump") is ok, but the mayo, the mustard and the ketchup in the cooks "line" is not safe

6. the chili is safe

Have fun, but be careful when you eat Wendys - it takes some pro-activity, but it can be done...

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

That's good to know. I have my MRI on a celiac disease as it was requested by an ENT consultant to take a look at but again this is someone who isn't looking in regards to gluten ataxia but I can mention it to them and also give it to...
    The boat feeling did resolve but I do still have some residual balance issues. However I had ataxia impact from the time I was a child until my 40's. Glad to hear you are seeing someone that will be looking specifically for the UBOs. My neuro...
    I had a brain MRI over a year ago which wasn't specifically looking for signs of gluten ataxia - it was more just for reassurance as I was right at the beginning of my balance problems. I have a further brain MRI planned in May and this...