Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allison

Dizziness

Something to try --

Some years ago I got off the ship following a short cruise and found that I felt like I was still onboard. It didn't go away; my doctor prescribed something which didn't work.

So I did a lot of research on the internet and discovered what I had (MDD). It is something for which there is no test and so there were plenty of doctor horror stories in the support board I found. There is no official cure. I'm not saying any of you have this, just that there can be disorders that don't have any tests!

I tried chiropractic adjustments, exercises the chiropractor recommended, and some other balance exercises I found. Didn't work.

Then I read on one medical school's site that they suggest ginkgo for people with balance or dizziness problems. I took it for a couple days and my symptoms went away (I had had this for a couple months). I had to take it for some time. How did I know when to stop? I would stop and see if my symptoms returned ... I did have to take the strongest dosage I could find; a weaker one didn't work.

Now when I travel I always have ginkgo pills with me, since a couple times these symptoms have come back.

I believe it works because it improves blood flow.

Don't take this if you have a bleeding disorder or are taking any blood thinners, etc.

I thought it would be worth mentioning. Let me know if any of you try it and it works!

Something to try --

Some years ago I got off the ship following a short cruise and found that I felt like I was still onboard. It didn't go away; my doctor prescribed something which didn't work.

So I did a lot of research on the internet and discovered what I had (MDD). It is something for which there is no test and so there were plenty of doctor horror stories in the support board I found. There is no official cure. I'm not saying any of you have this, just that there can be disorders that don't have any tests!

I tried chiropractic adjustments, exercises the chiropractor recommended, and some other balance exercises I found. Didn't work.

Then I read on one medical school's site that they suggest ginkgo for people with balance or dizziness problems. I took it for a couple days and my symptoms went away (I had had this for a couple months). I had to take it for some time. How did I know when to stop? I would stop and see if my symptoms returned ... I did have to take the strongest dosage I could find; a weaker one didn't work.

Now when I travel I always have ginkgo pills with me, since a couple times these symptoms have come back.

I believe it works because it improves blood flow.

Don't take this if you have a bleeding disorder or are taking any blood thinners, etc.

I thought it would be worth mentioning. Let me know if any of you try it and it works!

thanks for the info. i was thinking of seeing a naturopath if this does not clear up soon since traditional medicine does not seem to be workign for me. my dr is goign to try me on some migraine meds if my other tests are normal. i geuss if those work, it will prove it was migraine related.....

My migraines involve a type of dizziness. It's not a 'stand up and spin around a bunch then stop and now you feel dizzy' type, it's more of a disorientation and lack of ability to think clearly. Similar to the glutened brain-fog, but less foggy-thinking than foggy spatial perception. It's hard to describe, and it's not so severe that I can't walk in a straight line, but I have to work at it. It's not at all like a lack of balance for being drunk either. It's like you can sense the motion of the world around you, and you want it to stop *right now*. :P

i always have the dizziness. and like some of yyou guys have said in here, i never had it until going gluten-free. i have an example even today: I leaned over to get something off a chair, and just about tipped over sideways and tripped over other things :ph34r:. it usually some pretty nasty dizziness, sometimes i can barely stand.

~ lisa ~

i always have the dizziness. and like some of yyou guys have said in here, i never had it until going gluten-free. i have an example even today: I leaned over to get something off a chair, and just about tipped over sideways and tripped over other things :ph34r:. it usually some pretty nasty dizziness, sometimes i can barely stand.

~ lisa ~

i just think its so weird that we only got it AFTER going gluten free. it makes no sense to me. for me its only gotten worse too. for me the room shifts rather than spin. have you seen anyone for it. my neuro doesnt think its related to going gluten free. im really annoyed already with this dizziness ....at least im not the only one

i just think its so weird that we only got it AFTER going gluten free. it makes no sense to me. for me its only gotten worse too. for me the room shifts rather than spin. have you seen anyone for it. my neuro doesnt think its related to going gluten free. im really annoyed already with this dizziness ....at least im not the only one

i saw all my family docs about it and honestly theyve never been able to explain any of the symptoms, they just all say its from celiac

~ lisa ~

I'd be curious if you find out whether or not it's migraine related. My migraines have fairly significantly shifted in their pattern (and I don't think that it's gluten related, but occured around our move), and this can happen over time. A bit disturbing, but apparently not all that atypical.

well i guess the dr is right. i was at whole foods today and i felt the floor was pushing me up- really weird vertigo feeling. 20 minutes later i got a horrendous headache that i geuss was a migraine??!! the weird feeling kept coming for an hour and the headache is still going :(

i geuss i will end up taking the migrained medication he said he would give me.

I'm being worked up for Adrenal problems partially because of the dizzy spells. I'm an RN and work nights. One evening I passed out at work***left the pt room because I felt dizzy and collapsed in the hallway*** This last Friday I went to workout right after I work up and had to stop halfway through because of the dizziness.

I'm really tired of it. Have any of you been worked up for Addison's (no Adrenal function).

i just think its so weird that we only got it AFTER going gluten free.

When I talked to my doctor about my dizzy spells, he told me he feels it is part of my neuropathy, has something to do with the nerves in my neck, which does make perfect sense to me.

I do have optical migraines or ocular migraines, yet I never get dizzy with those, yet optical migraines are different from regular migraines too.

The migraine part I have never heard of, although, I do have migraines.

As for the dizziness, I do have it. I didn't have it before going gluten-free and it's only been bad for the last several months. It started slowly. I would be hugging Kev and look up, he learned to keep his arm tight around me because when I look up, I tip backwards. As of late, any movement around me makes me dizzy, someone tittering their legs, talking with their hands, cars moving very slowly next to me, any movement slowly in my periphreal vision--sometimes it just hits me. I do have neuropathy and the doctor does feel it may be a part of the neuropathy. Weird!

Hello. I found your post and I too have really bad dizziness after going gluten free. I have been gluten-free for a little over a year now and it is the worst it has ever been. I'm being worked up right now for seizures but I really attribute it to eating. I notice it is the worst the day after I eat out or I drink alcohol does this happen to anyone? Could it be that I am so senstive to gluten now? All of my blood work since going gluten-free has been normal so my dr. doesnt think it is gluten related. any ideas?? It is really disrupting my life

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

This is good advice. Some restaurants offer gluten-free menus or mark items with “GF” on their regular menu, and I try to eat at such places. I still talk to the manager when I order to be sure. 
    I've had a swollen gland in my neck similar to what you described.  I found that taking thiamine helps immensely.   Here's an article that you might find helpful..... http://wandererandhome.weebly.com/heal-yourself/vitamin-b1-th...
    Mummu said her daughter was "constantly nauseated, tired, and having little to no interest in eating.  She's lost weight and I'm worried she may be becoming depressed"   I agree with M.Martha.  The Autoimmune diet without dairy and...