Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skipper30

Stickers On Fruit

:blink: DISCLAIMER.....if I made this up then ignore it and chalk it up mothering 4 boys, 6 and under!! :blink:

Does the sticker that comes on fruit have a wheat base to it??

If so is washing the fruit ok or should it be peeled?

And who do you check with to verify this information??

Thanks..

Dallas

Mom to:

Riley 8 -Tourettes, OCD, ADHD

Cooper 6 -Celiac dx'ed Dec. 2005

Jake 4- Resolved Verbal Apraxia, Coordination disorder and Sensory Integration Disorder

Sutton 3- Speech issues and sensory integration disorder

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

hm, a very good question. i have no idea! will wait for more results...:)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

This question was posted on a thread a while back.. if i remember correctly the answer is no wheat involved. I am sure someone will chime in with that answer for sure. I have never had a problem with any fruit with stickers on them.

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I can't resist not posting to say that the baby in your pic tinkerbell is CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!!!!!

Okay back to stickers on fruit!!!

~Turtle~

I eat a lot of apples and until recently, didn't even think about peeling the area the sticker was. I've never gotten sick from it, but I now peel the area where the sticker was, just in case.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

I was told years ago by a coworker that the sticker was fruit based. Don't know whether that is true or not.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I can't remember where but I have read a bunch of differenet places that they use something that is wheat free in the stickers. I don't know what they use, I just remember hearing it was gluten free.