This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Ate Gluten Today

elaine33

elaine33 Apprentice

I have been gluten free for about a month now. I forgot to speak to my pastor about an alternative to bread for communion so I was in church and decided that was as good a time as any to 'add it back in' to see what happened - and nothing did. Other things have been bothering me, including cheese/dairy - which I added back in and then took back out last week. Should I keep eating gluten to see how I feel? Do you think the amount was just too small to really affect me? It was a pretty good chunk of bread he handed me but nothing like the amount of gluten I used to ingest. I'm a bit confused. And in the past, white breads and rolls in moderation didn't do much to me, but lots of pasta or whole wheat products usually did me in.

For the record, I do feel better off of the gluten in general, so I have noticed a difference -but since I was gluten and dairy free I'm toying with the possibility that it could be more of a dairy issue with me? I am really confused right now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You may not get an immediate reaction any more. For me it sometimes takes a week after being glutened before I get diarrhea! But it always comes at some point. So, just in case, don't venture too far from a bathroom for the next few days.

On the other hand, you may not get obvious reactions now. For some people it takes eating gluten for a while before they'll slowly get really sick again.

I'm sure you'll know soon. :ph34r:

NoGluGirl Contributor
I have been gluten free for about a month now. I forgot to speak to my pastor about an alternative to bread for communion so I was in church and decided that was as good a time as any to 'add it back in' to see what happened - and nothing did. Other things have been bothering me, including cheese/dairy - which I added back in and then took back out last week. Should I keep eating gluten to see how I feel? Do you think the amount was just too small to really affect me? It was a pretty good chunk of bread he handed me but nothing like the amount of gluten I used to ingest. I'm a bit confused. And in the past, white breads and rolls in moderation didn't do much to me, but lots of pasta or whole wheat products usually did me in.

For the record, I do feel better off of the gluten in general, so I have noticed a difference -but since I was gluten and dairy free I'm toying with the possibility that it could be more of a dairy issue with me? I am really confused right now.

Dear elaine33,

You could have a delayed reaction. Be careful. Delayed reactions are common with Celiac and gluten intolerance. It can take up to three days before you become ill from allergic food. There are times it took me twelve hours before I got so ill. However, it also depends on your sensitivity to gluten. My doctor told me there are people are extremely sensitive (like me) where a speck of the stuff can make you violently ill :( , or you can tolerate a small amount occaisionally. Dr. Beckman told me some people can eat a sandwich once a week and they are fine. :huh: You may be one of those people. I found this fascinating. No doctor had told me about that before. Dairy is something that it could be casein or lactose bothering you. Some individuals can eat cheese and yogurt, but not milk, cream, or butter. This is due to their lower lactose content. However, even cheese or yogurt will not be tolerated by casein sensitives. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

I got glutened accidentally this week. Saturday afternoon and evening, I just felt "off." No stomach symptoms, just tired, achy, headache, etc. Sunday morning, I had the horrible indigestion, then the diarrhea most of the day. I know I was completely gluten free Sunday morning, all day Saturday and Friday night for dinner. So, it took a while to see the obvious symptoms for me, too.

I hope you do not get sick from the communion bread. Sorry to hear about your dairy problem, too.

jaten Enthusiast

To help you consider wisely your options, we need a little more information. Remind us why you went gluten-free. If you have had positive bloodwork or biopsy, or a drs diagnosis of Celiac based on whatever, you obviously must stay gluten free.

If you went gluten-free because you thought it might be the answer, then you may want to do more of a challenge. I say may. Only you know how severe your symptoms were and why you thought they were related to gluten.

Celiac = must stay strictly gluten-free for life

Suspected gluten intolerance = I would want to be certain of gluten intolerance before I committed to a life of adhering to a strict gluten-free diet. the diet is not hard once you get used to it, but it can be bloomin' inconvenient. (You said, however, you feel better off of it, so that might be your answer. Unless you think feeling better is related to one of the other foods you eliminated.)

elaine33 Apprentice
To help you consider wisely your options, we need a little more information. Remind us why you went gluten-free. If you have had positive bloodwork or biopsy, or a drs diagnosis of Celiac based on whatever, you obviously must stay gluten free.

Well I went gluten free because my integrative doctor and the nutritionist both feel that I possibly have a wheat intolerance. My doctor feels I am more of a leaky gut candidate and I have taken a Mallitol challenge test for that but don't have the results yet. Before even knowing any of this, I knew that eating any whole wheat products caused my stomach and bowels severe pain at times. However, so do other foods like spinach and cauliflauer and peppers, spicy type stuff as well as whole milk. Cheese I could generally tolerate without too much of a problem.

So I am wondering at this point if I just don't have a weak stomach for some reason and can tolerate small amounts of some foods.

I challenged myself to see what my problem foods were, knowing for sure that milk and wheat were two of them. I don't know what this makes me. I am more confused than ever.

Oh yeah, we have a really strong family history of neurologic type problems so that is what really makes me suspect of wheat. I am not well enough to undergo elective surgery because of an autonomic dysfunction which affects my body's ability to regulate temperature and blood pressure, so I can't have the biopsy. My son tested negative for celiac (he has bad stomach pain with whole wheat too but can tolerate white breads).

I started the diet and now don't really want to stray off of it to have the celiac blood test done.

jaten Enthusiast
Well I went gluten free because my integrative doctor and the nutritionist both feel that I possibly have a wheat intolerance. My doctor feels I am more of a leaky gut candidate and I have taken a Mallitol challenge test for that but don't have the results yet. Before even knowing any of this, I knew that eating any whole wheat products caused my stomach and bowels severe pain at times. However, so do other foods like spinach and cauliflauer and peppers, spicy type stuff as well as whole milk. Cheese I could generally tolerate without too much of a problem.

So I am wondering at this point if I just don't have a weak stomach for some reason and can tolerate small amounts of some foods.

I challenged myself to see what my problem foods were, knowing for sure that milk and wheat were two of them. I don't know what this makes me. I am more confused than ever.

Oh yeah, we have a really strong family history of neurologic type problems so that is what really makes me suspect of wheat. I am not well enough to undergo elective surgery because of an autonomic dysfunction which affects my body's ability to regulate temperature and blood pressure, so I can't have the biopsy. My son tested negative for celiac (he has bad stomach pain with whole wheat too but can tolerate white breads).

I started the diet and now don't really want to stray off of it to have the celiac blood test done.

With your own history and family history, you certainly sound like a candidate for Celiac, wheat allergy, or gluten intolerance. The only reason I think you might want to consider further testing is because if you are Celiac, then the bread you had at communion would be enough to do damage, and you can't take that kind of risk. If you KNOW that you have Celiac Sprue then it might be easier for you to totally completely close the door on any intentional gluten.

You say you started the diet and don't want to stray off to have the blood test. I think you're going to have to commit one way or the other. You can't afford to even occasionally eat gluten if you have Celiac. How committed can you be if you don't have a definitive diagnosis? Only you know yourself well enough to answer that question. I think the answer to that question (whatever it is) gives you the bottom line on what to do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lymetoo Contributor

As far as the communion goes, I either bring my own piece of cracker or I simply close my hands so my pastor will pass me by. I've talked to him about it, but he still forgets sometimes! :)

After reading your "signature" I would also suggest getting tested for Lyme disease. It may sound like a stretch to you, but believe me, it's possible and very important to find out.

I can give you more info if you'll PM me.

Welcome!!

jenvan Collaborator

External symptoms are not always an accurate indicator of internal distress or harm. Don't let this lead you to think you may not have an issue with gluten. Even some individuals with Celiac do not have symptoms. However, not knowing much of your history, its hard to say if you definitely have a gluten intolerance.

elaine33 Apprentice
External symptoms are not always an accurate indicator of internal distress or harm. Don't let this lead you to think you may not have an issue with gluten. Even some individuals with Celiac do not have symptoms. However, not knowing much of your history, its hard to say if you definitely have a gluten intolerance.

Thanks. I think I am going to add gluten back in in small amounts and then after the holidays have the blood test done. I do definitely feel better, I know, because I am kind of dreading going back on the gluten so I think I feel better than I realized.

This is SO confusing.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thanks. I think I am going to add gluten back in in small amounts and then after the holidays have the blood test done. I do definitely feel better, I know, because I am kind of dreading going back on the gluten so I think I feel better than I realized.

This is SO confusing.

If you are going to add it in so that you can have a more accurate test small amounts will not neccessarily do it. It also takes up to 3 months from what I understand for the gluten to effect blood tests, that is if you show up on blood tests at all. If you are dreading going back on gluten IMHO you already have your answer. You need to give yourself time to heal, it took a long time to do the damage gluten has already done to your system and it will take a long time to heal that damage. Doing small amounts may not be enough to show up on blood work but it could be enough to delay your healing. If your feeling better gluten free why not continue and enjoy feeling good through the holidays and then challenge after?

breann6 Contributor

I did a simular thing last week by eating part of a biscuit. i had a severe breach in judgement compiled by stress and emotions, (my son was seriously sick, possibly menengitis, turned out a spinal defect) and didn't get sick that day or the day after, but the third day had SEVERE pain and woes....it was awful....I had to take percocet it was so painful- and today was the first day i haven't felt like i'd had been kicked in the belly...so nearly a week of recovery....i wouldn't add anymore back until you KNOW its not bothering you.

~breann

Archived