This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Frustrated

Pink-Bunny

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

Ugh right now I'm on the verge of crying. Maybe it's because I'm sensitive, but I can't stand this anymore. Maybe I should just go back on gluten until I could afford the stupid tests for celiac. Maybe I should just suffer the pain and depression until the summer of next year. I swear when I get married my house is going to be gluten free. Or at least what I cook will be gluten free. I went down to make my pasta about 20 minutes ago and there's noodles in the strainer (plastic). Which we decided that I would strain mine first and I would wash it after so I can feel confident to use it. So my gram tells me to just put her noodles in the bowl and use the strainer. I made a comment about cc with all the stuff all over the counters and she's like from what it sounds like you'll be living in a bubble if you do have it. and did you research this place that your going to have your tests done.

I feel sooo I duno what word I could use for how I feel. But it just seems like she'd rather see me sick all the time than being healthy and happy.

I'm sorry for complaining sooo much

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Lisa:

I am sure that it is hard for you now. But the most important thing is that YOU know. Just remember how hard it was for you to learn how to eat gluten free, and imagine how difficult it is for people who don't need to worrry about it.

Things will change, slowly perhaps, but I am certain that a change will come. Hang in there.

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

Thanks. I think it would be easier for her to understand if she actually went shopping with me and stuff. But she wants nothing to do with it since it's not her. Every time I learn something new I tell her about it. But she still doesn't care. She's seen how I am when I'm sick, moody, and depressed. Yet she doesn't care that I haven't been sick or depressed.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

That was one thing my husband didn't get until he actually went out to buy me a cake mix for my birthday. He told me that he was shocked at the prices...and I said, hm, now you know why I struggle on this budget.

You know you don't want to go back to being sick all the time. See if you can incorporate naturally gluten-free foods into your diet, making meals easier for everyone. Mexican food is always good, so long as the chips are safe. And having meat w/ rice or potatoes makes a good dinner. I hope that your gram eases up on you! Surely she can't want you to be suffering :(

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

That's part of my problem. We don't have normal meals. I try cooking and Lenny (her bf) doesn't like stuff that I make. Even if it is just meat and the potatos. We 'sit down' to eat together maybe once a week. I wouldn't mind eating the naturally gluten free stuff. Lenny likes going out to eat all the time and I just don't feel comfortable doing that now. My gram goes shopping for stuff that she just needs nothing else. We never have meat in the house. They basically live on hotdogs when they're home and it sucks. I just feel blah.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to have to make the mental break from your gm. Don't tell her about the stuff you've researched and don't try cooking for her - you're never going to get the appreciation or validation that you're looking for, 'cause she just doesn't care if it's not directly impacting her. It sucks, it really really does, and it's hard to let go of that expectation... :( That, and hide your own strainer under your bed. :P

Pink-Bunny Apprentice

as soon as I get my own stuff it's staying in my room...hopefully with my christmas money :P

The one thing that threw me off was I made the gluten-free orange walnut bread from land o lakes website yesterday and she liked it (knowing it was gluten-free) so I thought she was finally understanding...

oh well...

hopefully I get a job soon so I could start saving up to move out as much as I don't really want to leave the house.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Unfortunately, it sounds like you're going to have to make the mental break from your gm. Don't tell her about the stuff you've researched and don't try cooking for her - you're never going to get the appreciation or validation that you're looking for, 'cause she just doesn't care if it's not directly impacting her. It sucks, it really really does, and it's hard to let go of that expectation... :( That, and hide your own strainer under your bed. :P

probably the best idea...

as soon as I get my own stuff it's staying in my room...hopefully with my christmas money :P

The one thing that threw me off was I made the gluten-free orange walnut bread from land o lakes website yesterday and she liked it (knowing it was gluten-free) so I thought she was finally understanding...

oh well...

hopefully I get a job soon so I could start saving up to move out as much as I don't really want to leave the house.

that's good that she liked the bread...even as you're distancing from her, sharing things like this with her will help her see eye to eye with you i think. :)

babygirl1234 Rookie

im sorry that your family isnt supporting you with this and yes it is very hard to get used to eating diff food

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Lisa

Hugs to you!! Family members can be soooo cruel at times.. But I agree with the others messages to you. And in as much as you don't want to move out that is probably gonna be your best move. That way you will control all aspects of your gluten free lifetstyle. My family was not supportive & now maybe one of them is looking at a celiac dx, after telling me I was crazy for doing this diet.... What goes around comes around!!!! Of course I don't know if he will actually follow the doctors orders of a gluten-free lifestyle, he's pretty cheap & won't want to spend the $$$$$ so he might just have to stay sick...

Hid your food & if you don't share they may sneak & try some of your food & find out it isn't so bad after all...

blessings

mamaw

Archived