This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bad Knees And Scatterbrian

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

I was wondering if a torn miniscus in the knee (or both actually) without an injury could be attibuted to eating gluten. Both knees went bad in about a three month span but there was no injury or fall the person had that it can be blamed on. She thinks it's just her age (63) combined with her being about 40 lbs. overwieght.

Next question - could someone be scatterbrained as a symptom of having undx'd Celiac? I know someone whose hair started falling out due to low seratonin levels in the brain. Lexapro reversed that issue but now she's forgetting things like picking up her son from daycare after saying she was on the way there to someone on the phone.........

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Scatterbrain could definatly be a symptom, although I have several friends with this condition, who are not celiac. :rolleyes: I would lump that into the "brain fog" symptom. I do remember driviing down the road and totally forgeting where I was going. And I would start a sentence and not remember what my point was and stopped in mid stream.

The knee issue, perhaps that could be age related and weight related, but don't think is is celiac related.

CarlaB Enthusiast

They could, joint pain and brain fog can be caused by celiac.

But don't limit your options. Bad knees and that level of disorientation can also be attributed to Lyme Disease. I regularly battle mental confusion ... my family keeps close tabs on me.

floridanative Community Regular

Oh my! Never would have thought of Lyme disease. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the situation.......just found out some info that would explain some of the scatterbrained incidents. The knee person has been off gluten for about 10 months so gluten won't do anymore damage at least. They want her to have surgery on both knees at the same time next month. Seems better to split them up but I'm sure the doctors like their fees sooner than later.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Oh my! Never would have thought of Lyme disease. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the situation.......just found out some info that would explain some of the scatterbrained incidents. The knee person has been off gluten for about 10 months so gluten won't do anymore damage at least. They want her to have surgery on both knees at the same time next month. Seems better to split them up but I'm sure the doctors like their fees sooner than later.

Yeah, my own Lyme affected my knee very badly. Now it's fine. It comes and goes. It's a common joint to be affected. TMJ is another common joint to be affected by Lyme and I have very significant TMJ problems, which is why I currently wear braces .... it's the last stage of about $10k of dental work to fix it.

Guest cassidy

I had torn cartilage in both my knees at age 18. I was getting out of a car and I couldn't straighten one of them. I had to have surgery the next day. I never had an injury or did sports or anything. 6 months later it happened to the second one. They had to remove a lot of cartilage from one of them and I have never been able to run. I was not overweight and I didn't have anything to attribute this to. I totally think it was due to gluten.

Guest adamssa

hello,

both can be celiac, but brain fog can be caused by many, many, many different things, so it's best to look at other symptoms as well.

sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, both could be caused by celiac disease. Hair loss can be caused by it as well.

But both hair loss and being scatterbrained can also be due to low thyroid levels.

And yes, the knee problem could be caused by celiac disease, or an intolerance to lectins, or Lyme disease........ there are so many possibilities.

I have bad knees, especially the left one has been giving me trouble for the past 20 years. Right now it is hard to go up stairs, as that awful shooting pain could hit any time. I don't know what exactly caused it. It's somewhat better since being off gluten.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've never thought of myself as having knee problems, but I was reminded just this morning that frequently, while walking down the stairs, my right knee feels like it could buckle under me and give out. Also, sometimes, it gets sore if I put weight on it, but I really never connected it to Celiac.

Although Ursula talked about lectins, and I'm intolerant to most of them.

Scatterbrained is a given :ph34r: , and I only have about half the hair I used to. Doctor says my thyroid levels are fine--but now I'm learning that the common testing for thyroid are not always accurate.

This stuff never ceases to amaze me.....

Ursa Major Collaborator
I've never thought of myself as having knee problems, but I was reminded just this morning that frequently, while walking down the stairs, my right knee feels like it could buckle under me and give out. Also, sometimes, it gets sore if I put weight on it, but I really never connected it to Celiac.

Although Ursula talked about lectins, and I'm intolerant to most of them.

Scatterbrained is a given :ph34r: , and I only have about half the hair I used to. Doctor says my thyroid levels are fine--but now I'm learning that the common testing for thyroid are not always accurate.

This stuff never ceases to amaze me.....

Patti, if I eat rice or eggs especially (or gluten), my knees and ankles will give out on me, and I have to make sure I hold onto the handrail when going down the stairs, as I am afraid of falling. My wrists won't work then, either, and I can't lift anything heavy, because they will give out, too.

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti, if I eat rice or eggs especially (or gluten), my knees and ankles will give out on me, and I have to make sure I hold onto the handrail when going down the stairs, as I am afraid of falling. My wrists won't work then, either, and I can't lift anything heavy, because they will give out, too.

Ursula,

That's so interesting, because I only eat rice no more than once a week. Any more, and I get GI symptoms--but I didn't link them to the knee issue.

On Tuesday, I made Christmas cookies using rice flour and potato starch. They looked so good, I ate quite a few of them. Ever since, I've had bloating, gas, a sore knee and wrist pain. I would usually just shrug off the knee and wrist pain, but now I really wonder.

Like you describe, in both the wrist and knee, the feeling is that they will give out. Thanks--I'll be paying closer attention to it from now on. :)

cause&effect Newbie

Check out this web site Open Original Shared Link Read the Adrenal info and Thyroid and click the link to DRRIND.com for more info about glandular symptoms.

Low adrenal function can cause muscle and conective tissue weakness. It plays a part in food intolerences and can be brought on by autoimune conditions and ill health in general.

Archived