This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food On A Long Plane Flight

eleep

eleep Enthusiast

I have some (possibly) stupid questions about what I can bring on a plane in the way of food these days -- I've looked over the TSA list which seems to indicate that I can only bring about 3 oz. each of cheese and yogurt -- so those options seem to be out.

However, I've got a couple of other things about which I'm uncertain -- they're my meals during the flight, and consist of multiple ingredients some of which could technically qualify as liquid or gel:

Tuna, egg salad and almond butter sandwiches

Cold cuts

Chickpea-feta salad in a little vinaigrette

Grape leaves with rice and hummus.

Does anyone know how to finesse the airport security thing with food items these days? Am I covered? Should I take this stuff anyway and be prepared to have to toss it?

Can I really only bring 3 oz. of cheese? Does cheese in a sandwich count?

Perhaps I'm a little obsessey here, but a good friend has been packing meals for me and I don't want to put her work to waste!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

I would call the airline AND the airport and explain your situation. See what they say. Be fully prepared to furnish a note from your doctor saying the gluten free diet is medically necessary.

Guest cassidy

Cheese isn't a liquid or gel, so I would think that would be fine. I have dealt with this several times and the airlilnes/airport didn't care that I was pregnant and had a doctor's note. It isn't up to the airlines it is up to the screener that looks at your stuff. I would think that if you don't have a bottled water or anything that is a large obvious container of liquid that they won't even bother to look in your stuff. I don't think I would put any of your food in the quart-sized zip loc bag they give you for liquids and if they question you I would play dumb; is tuna salad really a liquid?

Our airport isn't very good at catching things and I have brought hand sanitizer and a couple other things through back when you couldn't have any liquids. I also shoved lip gloss in my pocket so it didn't get screened because I didn't want them to take it. You could always put some yogurt in your pockets as long as it isn't the type with the metal lids

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I brought food on the plane fairly soon after the new rules and I was never questioned. I believe that I had gluten-free bread and donutes. I'm actually flying next week and I'm probably bringing gluten-free bread and carrot sticks.

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hi Erica

I just got back from flying from boston to maui with a stop so a very long trip. i brought slices of cheese individually wrapped from Costco, peanutbutter sandwich, lara bars, envirokids cereal bars, rice cakes, lots of pretzels, banana bread from wholefoods, and some fruit. i did not have any problems, no one even asked about them. i then bought water after going through security.

hope that helps,

Jess

Mia H Explorer

What do you think about peanut butter? Do you think they will allow it.

I'm going to France in January on AirFrance. On another thread they said AirFrances gluten-free meals were not to be trusted.

How long do you think eggs would last? I suppose I can't bring any freezie packs or ice. Maybe some gluten-free beef sticks. I need protein man!

Mia

elonwy Enthusiast

To be safe, since it all depends on which screener you get ( I had a lighter with me from the US to Canada, to Europe and back to Canada and only then did they notice and I couldn't get it back to the US) I would make sure at least some of your food is prepackaged and unopened. Those little cracker barrel cheese or kraft cheese bites ( individual cracker slices, individually wrapped), things like that. I'm also a fan of always having a couple of gluten-free energy bars with me in case they take my food away. Especially since this stuff seems to change from week to week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I do think it depends on the screener you get. It seems to be tougher going out of the country than coming in (which is strange), but I just flew from Australia. I had tuna, energy bars, raisins, corn thins, a can of Orgran spaghetti, almonds, apples, banannas LOL they were very strict about water but didn't care at all about my food. Who knows. I guess it's good to have some dry food on hand just in case.

moving on Apprentice

I flew just a couple of weeks after these new restrictions went into effect. I had packed 4 = 3oz cans of tuna and chicken on my carry on luggage. I was pulled aside while my luggage was searched. Since the tuna was water packed I was told it should be in the 2 quart plastic bag. The next time I flew, I put a 4 oz container of pudding in the plastic bag with no problem. I would just be sure I had enough to snack on if it is taken.

eleep Enthusiast

Just a followup -- I managed to bring everything through with no problems.

mmaccartney Explorer

I just had this problem on an international flight. I tried to biring canned food, soymilk, etc on board. I explained to them the medical need, but they still wouldn't allow it as I had no documentation to prove it.

Do this. Have your doctor write a letter on their letterhead paper, indicate your condition, and the need for special dietary considerations. It may be helpful to have small labels on all the food items, kind of like an RX label with your name, doctors name, etc...

TSA told me if I had that they would have let the items through

Guest cassidy

I hope they get to the point where they can do a massive background check and determine that you aren't a threat so that you can bring things like water on board and keep your shoes on. If people don't want the background check then they can have these very strict rules. I realize they are trying to make things safe but it is like when you are a kid and one person does something wrong and the whole class is punished.

My husband was flying home and they took his toothpaste because it was a 4.1oz container and not under 3oz. It was almost empty and he didn't get it taken on the way out there, so that just shows that it is the screener that makes the difference.

Glad you got all your food through ok.

angst2amity Rookie

eleep glad you got through!

If I can ever get better, I am flying to an island off of Puerto Rico where a family member lives. Have to fly in several planes but the last one will be a 5 seater so I can only bring 1 carryon total luggage.

I am have BIG dietary problems and I am not sure what I will find there to purchase. There weren't many stores that I remember last time I went.

I am thinking about shipping a package of food there before I arrive. Has anyone done this? I know everyone is different, but what would be good ideas to pack?

THanks!

Archived