Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holiday16

Gluten Free Lipsticks?

I'm sure it sounds a bit silly, but I need to know which lipsticks are gluten free. I checked out the lipstick I'm using right now (Clarins) and the ingredients list wheat. I think Clinique is o.k., but I want to be sure before I spend the $ since the better lipsticks are not cheap. It seems the ingredient lists can be under some of the more unusual names from what I've seen so I didn't want to rely on just checking the ingredients myself at the store.

Never ceases to amaze me the things I find I gluten in...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi :)

I use either Neutrogena lipsticks, lip glosses and lip tints, or Smashbox. Most of their products are gluten-free--but always check!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Burts Bees are gluten-free (the shimmering stick kind - not sure if they all are) and I know some of the Clinique are gluten-free but some contain gluten. It is not obvious in the ingredient list since they do not have to follow the FDA rules. Somewhere on this board someone posted which Clinique lipsticks were gluten-free at one point - try doing a search on clinique. Otherwise, you can contact the company and ask, but they might not tell you unless you ask about a particular one.

I'm sure it sounds a bit silly, but I need to know which lipsticks are gluten free.

I have just changed all my makeup over to Mineral makeup and love it! I am getting mine from an Australian company but they ship overseas and have a website. JR Minerals. Its a lot cheaper than most and its seem great. I have the lipstick pen and thats super glossy but not a long laster but still great.Also pots of lip colour. She said she will have new lipsticks available any day that will be the long lasting type. I started with a starter pack. Its all gluten-free except some of the flavoured lip balms but she can gaurantee everything else. The orange lip balm is gluten-free. I love the entire range.The foundation feels as light as air but has super coverage.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

I'm also on a lipstick quest -- I had just e-mailed Sephora to ask about Smashbox, and was told that they could not guarantee that any of their products were gluten-free because they may be processed in the same warehouse as products containing gluten. I realize that every mainstream brand is likely to have potential cc issues, because they get their ingredients from all over, but Sephora didn't even seem to want to distinguish between products that contain gluten as an ingredient, versus a potential cc issue. Did they give you a different answer regarding Smashbox? Thanks.

SmashBox lipsticks are gluten free. NOT their lip treatments though - they are usually in a white tube. And I just rechecked with them about 3 weeks ago.

Good luck

Jacqui

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Hashimoto's auto immune disease

Diverticulosis

Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

SmashBox lipsticks are gluten free. NOT their lip treatments though - they are usually in a white tube. And I just rechecked with them about 3 weeks ago.

Good luck

Jacqui

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Diverticulosis

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

Good luck

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui -- can you give me the info about how to check with SmashBox? Was it by phone or e-mail? I'm not doubting that they told you it was gluten-free, I'm just confused because they gave me a completely different answer via e-mail just last week, and I'd like to figure out what the discrepancy is. Thanks so much. Rochelle

I'm sure it sounds a bit silly, but I need to know which lipsticks are gluten free. I checked out the lipstick I'm using right now (Clarins) and the ingredients list wheat. I think Clinique is o.k., but I want to be sure before I spend the $ since the better lipsticks are not cheap. It seems the ingredient lists can be under some of the more unusual names from what I've seen so I didn't want to rely on just checking the ingredients myself at the store.

Never ceases to amaze me the things I find I gluten in...

I use Smashbox for everything. I have also rechecked about a month ago and their lipsticks/makeup are still gluten-free EXCEPT their "lip treatments" which have an SPF in it and come in a white tube, I think an eye makeup remover and one other thing that I don't use anyway.

Oh, and it is NOT SILLY. If you have a gluten problem or celiac disease than you definitely need gluten-free lipstick.

Take care,

Jacqui ;)

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Diverticulosis

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility