Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LynneM

Question About Enterolab

Hi all, wondering about Enterolab. I've been gluten-free for about 4 months, and a recent blood test came back negative, but I still have strong suspicions about being celiac. I was looking at Enterolab's site, and it says that you don't have to be ingesting gluten for their tests to be accurate. Is that true, has anyone here gotten the test after being gluten-free for a time and still gotten a positive? It's very expensive, but it would be worth it if I can trust the results. Since gluten-free is a life-long commitment, it would be nice to know exactly what's going on. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Lynne -

I did the same thing you did. I went gluten-free and had a negative blood test but decided to stick with the diet. Several months later I decided that I did, after all, want some sort of proof. For myself. So I had the Enterolab test done. I did big test they offer - so I was also gene tested and casein tested.

It was worth it for me to have a definitive answer, and I'm glad I did it.

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

I was gluten free for 5 months when I took the Enterolab tests. I had seen an improvement in my symptoms already, so I was feeling that this was the answer (finally)!! But I am a person who wanted to have "proof", and even my husband decided that this would be a good way to check.

I got the big deal one, and even after 5 months, I am still not absorbing fats properly (Imagine what they would have been if I got tested before gluten free), and everything was elevated. Plus, I do carry 2 gluten intolerant genes, now I know I need to test my children. And we plan to test through Enterolab.

I am so glad I tested through them, I have no doubts now, and now I feel confident that this was the answer I was seeking. And, it will help me commit to gluten free for life, and I do think it has helped people around me be supportive, and not just think I was turning into some 'special diet' weirdo for the fun (like any restrictive diet is) of it.

All in all, I highly recommend it.

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

Improved on gluten free diet

Enterolab results confirmed suspicions on Jan. 29th 2007

My daughter was mostly gluten-free for more than a few months before doing the Enterolab test. She was still positive.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

Just to be different ;) - I tested with Enterolab after 8 months gluten-free, and it came back negative. A few of my numbers - particularly my malabsorption - were high enough to make me suspect that I would have been positive if I'd done it sooner. So even though they say you can be gluten-free up to a year, I'd suggest testing sooner rather than later.

Jeanne

I JUST SENT MY 'BIG PANEL' TEST OFF TODAY TO ENTEROLABS...

I HAVE BEEN gluten-free FOR 19 MONTHS.

I WANT TO SEE THE MALASORBITON ISSUE AND THE GENES TOO.

I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW.

5 MONTHS ON gluten-free I WAS GREAT..THEN SOY...THEN DAIRY...SO WANT SOME ANSWERS.

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

I was gluten free for 5 months when I took the Enterolab tests. I had seen an improvement in my symptoms already, so I was feeling that this was the answer (finally)!! But I am a person who wanted to have "proof", and even my husband decided that this would be a good way to check.

I got the big deal one, and even after 5 months, I am still not absorbing fats properly (Imagine what they would have been if I got tested before gluten free), and everything was elevated. Plus, I do carry 2 gluten intolerant genes, now I know I need to test my children. And we plan to test through Enterolab.

I am so glad I tested through them, I have no doubts now, and now I feel confident that this was the answer I was seeking. And, it will help me commit to gluten free for life, and I do think it has helped people around me be supportive, and not just think I was turning into some 'special diet' weirdo for the fun (like any restrictive diet is) of it.

All in all, I highly recommend it.

Does this mean that testing from Enterolab is out of pocket? I'm new here, so please excuse the lack of knowledge :)

Mary

My son was on a gluten containing diet when we tested him through enterolab and ALL of his levels were withing normal ranges. He has obvious reactions to gluten, however, so who knows?