Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Kinnikinnick White Sandwich Bread

I have tried a lot of breads since going gluten free. In my pre-dx days I always preferred white breads, wonder sponge types. Kinnikinnick has THE BEST white bread substitution! I generally buy things directly from them in major bulk since they have flat rate $10 shipping. Actually, my husband bought me a huge upright freezer for the basement for Christmas just so I could stockpile frozen foods. Anyway, my most recent order I ordered a huge amount of bread, all different kinds... We've had most of them before, but not all. I never really liked this white sandwich bread before because it always burns in the toaster... I figured out why. If you toast it until it's warm, but not darkened, still soft and moist, then it tastes FABULOUS! It feels like a regular sandwich! I warm it in the toaster and then let it cool down before topping. This makes the absolute best sandwich I've had since going gluten free! Enjoy!

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have tried a lot of breads since going gluten free. In my pre-dx days I always preferred white breads, wonder sponge types. Kinnikinnick has THE BEST white bread substitution! I generally buy things directly from them in major bulk since they have flat rate $10 shipping. Actually, my husband bought me a huge upright freezer for the basement for Christmas just so I could stockpile frozen foods. Anyway, my most recent order I ordered a huge amount of bread, all different kinds... We've had most of them before, but not all. I never really liked this white sandwich bread before because it always burns in the toaster... I figured out why. If you toast it until it's warm, but not darkened, still soft and moist, then it tastes FABULOUS! It feels like a regular sandwich! I warm it in the toaster and then let it cool down before topping. This makes the absolute best sandwich I've had since going gluten free! Enjoy!

I'm happy you found it too, I always used to eat pepperidge farm white bread, and was so sad bc i'd never eat it again, this is so close, I practically had a little party when I tasted my first piece=D They also make bagels that are great (obv gluten-free) and some other yummy bread-like products =D

Gluten Free since April '04

He he he... Yeah, I buy Kinnikinnick everything. Even their flours are way better than some others that I've tried. Plus, I trust them 100%. I love all of their bread products that I've tried thus far, bagels included, and I really like their ginger snap cookies. My husband can't keep his hands off of them either. Have you tried their cinnamon rolls yet? They're very good. I could sit down and eat almost a whole tray at one sitting if I didn't stop myself. The only things that I've had from them and didn't like were the animal cookies (weird texture) and hot cross buns (maybe I just don't like hot cross buns, never had them before). Everything else I've tried is perfect! Have you experimented with their cake mixes? I generally don't buy mixes as I make everything from scratch, but this year I think I'm going to try to make an actual cake for my daughter's birthday instead of cupcakes. I bought the white cake mix. I'm praying it turns out. I may make yellow cupcakes the day before just to be safe. I really want her to not feel left out as this is her first gluten free birthday. Everyone will be eating gluten free, they just won't know it. :) And I'm not volunteering the info unless someone comments on the fact that DD and I are eating the stuff. :)

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I just had a peanut butter and banana sandwich out of their white bread :P I've been using their product for years.

Their angel food cake is awesome ... I buy the egg whites by those little cartons for it. One of those little cartons say that it is equivilant to 8 egg whites, however I always add another two egg white to get it to raise better.

We use either whip cream and crushed pinapple, or whip cream and strawberries for icing on angel food cake. Yummy!

My daughter (now 40) has had an angel food cake every year since her first birthday. It used to be the gluten ones, but now she loves the Kinnikinnick ones just as well.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

This is not a Kinnickinnick bash :rolleyes:: I really like Kinnikinnick and I think it's an amazing product for most celiacs. However, Kinnikinnick products give me some pretty crazy allergic reactions. I think my body can't tolerate some of the chemicals in that stuff. I'm sure it's gluten-free. I don't think it's a gluten issue. I just want to throw that out there for the people who suffer from mysterious symptoms and eat a lot of kinnickinick. It might be something to consider.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

My family also loves Kinnickinnick. Our favorites are Tapioca Rice Cheese bread and K-toos cookies. I also use their graham cracker crumbs and chocolate cookie crumbs. Just used them last weekend to make Rum Cream Pie and Chocolate Mousse Pie for family and friends, most of whom are not celiac. Everybody loved them!

I found it a few days ago while out of town. I haven't had a grilled cheese in over a year and a half.

Pretty darn good. :)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Kinninniki Foods RocK! My freezer is jammed and stocked with hot dog buns,hamburger and sandwiches....I had a grilled cheese for lunch!mmmmm The first time this Thanksgiving I had a turkey sandwich in three years...spread the word they are wonderful!

"There is always a Brighter side to every situation"

If you like the sandwich you have to try the italian. I have celiac teeth so I zap it first but if you just toast it or put garlic butter on it an put it in the oven it actually has a wonderful crust. My fav part of the bread. I love this companies products. Their sandwich cookies are great also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

We just bought the frozen Kinnikinnick white bread and my son liked it. I was wondering if you are talking about the frozen one or the bread mix. I haven't tried the bread mix yet and was wondering what people thought of the mix?

Nikki

This is not a Kinnickinnick bash :rolleyes:: I really like Kinnikinnick and I think it's an amazing product for most celiacs. However, Kinnikinnick products give me some pretty crazy allergic reactions. I think my body can't tolerate some of the chemicals in that stuff. I'm sure it's gluten-free. I don't think it's a gluten issue. I just want to throw that out there for the people who suffer from mysterious symptoms and eat a lot of kinnickinick. It might be something to consider.

I haven't seen any of their products around here. Checked the website and your right , there are some unusuall ingredients in there. Only white rice flour (I've got to try that). Xanthan gum substitutes. Baking soda in addition to yeast. Bunch of other stuff. They're obviously on to something.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

One nice thing they do though is have an 'Answer Section' if you go into it it explains what some of the weird stuff is and what it is derived from. I wish all food companies would do that.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)