Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darkr

Gluten Free Diners?

Being both vegan and gluten free makes it extra hard for me to enjoy the foods I liked when I ate meat, and now all the alternatives to meat I cant eat either because most have wheat/gluten in them.

I was at this diner called Vertical Cafe here in Utah and the waitress has celiac's also. She showed me that half the food on the menu is un-contaminated gluten free food! I loved it!

Anyone else have stories like this, that you found a new place to eat catering to our special diets?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Being both vegan and gluten free makes it extra hard for me to enjoy the foods I liked when I ate meat, and now all the alternatives to meat I cant eat either because most have wheat/gluten in them.

I was at this diner called Vertical Cafe here in Utah and the waitress has celiac's also. She showed me that half the food on the menu is un-contaminated gluten free food! I loved it!

Anyone else have stories like this, that you found a new place to eat catering to our special diets?

Not quite. I heard about a restaurant that is about 40 minutes away that is vegetarian and actually has things that are gluten, dairy, egg, and soy free or can be made that way. I haven't tried it yet ... still convincing my husband that the extra time is worth it. Given my experiences recently in a vegetarian and a Thai restaurant, they will give you something without soy, but then it has no flavor <_< I wish I hadn't have had that soy intolerance test :lol:

I may have to actually start cooking more. Oh dear :( What I'm worried about is a vacation next summer where I'm going to be on a river cruise, eating either on this small ship or in assorted non-English speaking cities. I can have international dining cards to deal with the gluten issue. But they say on there that I can have meat, dairy, egg, soy, etc. and I either don't want to or can't.

Sorry -- you wanted happy experiences :rolleyes: I did find two dishes at local restaurants where the dishes didn't have to be changed and were tasty. I have some other ideas as well. (I'm still relatively new at all this and so still scoping out local places.) I discovered a coop store close to where I live that has a lot of gluten-free vegan items.

Actually, I'm finding the soy thing a lot harder than eating vegan, and then adding gluten-free to that. I'm glad Enterolab doesn't have a test for corn B)

There's a Yahoo group you might be interested in if you aren't already aware of it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vegan-and-Gluten-Free/

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)