This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Work With Their Husband?

LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

I wanted to know if anyone works with their husband and if so how you do it. My husband and I have been working together for almost four months, prior to that I had a career going, however I was injured and didn't want to pursue that particualar career after that. I have noticed that it is really hard to work with him and also be with him at home. I feel like we are getting on each others nerves. I never thought I would work, or want to work with my husband, but I figured I would give it a try. Well..that try and been nothing but problems. I just feel like I should just stick it out since one of these days this business will be ours. What do others think? I am afraid to do anything because I don't want to cause problems within the family but..I also don't want my marriage to go sour because of it. Any suggestions or help woul be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

My brother and his wife work together and also some friends of mine run a store together. They have similar and different approaches.

My brother and sister-in-law do completely different things and rarely see each other at work.

My friends run a store together and sometimes change their schedules so one can leave earlier to have time alone if needed.

Both of the couples have defined what they do and try very hard not to overlap. This keeps them from criticizing each other's work.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I used to, but it was a different situation than yours seems to be. We both worked for the same company (about 70 employees), but we worked for different departments. He was always on 3:30 to midnight and I worked that shift, as well as mornings and graveyards, so we didn't run into each other too often at work. We'd always eat supper together on the 3:30 to midnight shift, though.

From my perspective, the worst part was people coming in to ask me where he was. I'd always put on a big show of fussing with my watch and saying that his tracking device didn't seem to working - go check his department.

Guhlia Rising Star

I've worked with my husband both in an office environment and at our home business. We are insanely productive when we work together, but we fight a lot over work. The most important thing I can tell you is to seperate work hours from "home" hours. Otherwise you'll end up working or talking about work all the time.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

John and I both worked in the Lab for 3 years together here at the hospital, we were 2 out of 4 on second shift in the processing area, I have to admitt we fought less, and worked very well as a team. I thought us both getting new jobs would really help us appreciate the time we had away....sometimes I find we fight more now then when we were together.

Our company does not have anything about couples being together which is nice. Actually here at the hospital the majority of the employees are married or together with another employee. For the most part everyone is very professional about it. In the lab there are 10 people on second shift, scattered in various departments that are married or together.

Jo.R Contributor

Working together just about ruined the marriage of severl people I know. To make two couples had to quit working together, and on couple had to have a very serious long talk to set up bounderies, and rehash that every week or so for months until they got it right. I think it's harder in family business, because one person feels they are the boss instead of a partner, which creats resentment.

Working together just about ruined the marriage of severl people I know. To make two couples had to quit working together, and on couple had to have a very serious long talk to set up bounderies, and rehash that every week or so for months until they got it right. I think it's harder in family business, because one person feels they are the boss instead of a partner, which creats resentment.

I think that is why it worked so well for us, we had the same job and answered to a higher up. Neither of us was in charge.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

My husband and I worked together for a few years, before we were married and for a little bit afterward. I was actually his boss for awhile. It really worked well for the most part, likely because we really enjoyed the job(s). For a long time he worked at home (telecommuting) and that also worked, but we had firm boundaries about interrupting him...and his office was away from the busy part of the house so the kids didn't bother him.

I couldn't work with him now, though. And we cannot do renovation projects together...he doesn't have as much patience as me, and we problem-solve very differently so have different approaches to how to get the work done...of course, my way is the right way. :lol:

Michelle

Michelle-

I totally agree. John and I have been working seperate jobs for over a year now. We have both left the lab. We both like our new jobs and we have developed different approaches and ways of thinking in the process. I cannot see us working together and it working out as well now. I feel the same way you do, I could not work on a renovation project together either. We simply would battle it out. You should see us as we search for a home to buy....very different ideas. Here comes the headache :)

The interesting part is he is looking at price, we both are, but I am also looking at practical. Like buying a 2 bedroom house just because the price is right...we are going to start a family soon...2 bedrooms is not that practical. Your starter house may be your last. Off topic...sorry.

Canadian Karen Community Regular
I wanted to know if anyone works with their husband and if so how you do it. My husband and I have been working together for almost four months, prior to that I had a career going, however I was injured and didn't want to pursue that particualar career after that. I have noticed that it is really hard to work with him and also be with him at home. I feel like we are getting on each others nerves. I never thought I would work, or want to work with my husband, but I figured I would give it a try. Well..that try and been nothing but problems. I just feel like I should just stick it out since one of these days this business will be ours. What do others think? I am afraid to do anything because I don't want to cause problems within the family but..I also don't want my marriage to go sour because of it. Any suggestions or help woul be greatly appreciated.

Nope. If I worked with my husband, I would have to kill him..... <_<

psawyer Proficient

I saw this thread last night, but wanted to think about it before responding. I also wanted to get some input from my wife, since we work together with me being the husband :lol:

Jacquie and I own a franchised retail store that sells pet food and supplies. We bought the business in December of 2000, when I still had a full-time job in a completely different field. She had over 15 years of experience in retail, including two different assignments as a store manager (one corporate, one a franchise). The initial deal was that she would run the store, while I would take care of the business, that is, the banks, the lawyers, the payroll, the taxes and all the other financial and legal stuff. We each own 50% of the corporation, so it was always an equal partnership, at least in theory.

My full-time job came to an end about eight months later, and I became more involved in the day-to-day operation. I had been working part-time in the store during the preceding period. I worked about half-time as a consultant in my old field from early 2002 until the end of 2005. Since then, I have taken a much larger role in the business.

Now, I'll let Jacquie speak. I printed out the thread for her last night at 11pm. These are her words:

- Make sure you each have your assigned duties.

- If it is retail, have your own time in the store without him. Likewise, give him time in the store on his own.

- Above all make sure you have time at home for yourself. Again, make sure he has time for himself.

Peter talking again: We collaborate on many things at the business, but as Jacquie said, we each have some things that belong to us alone. It seems to be working. The business is doing well and we are both happy.

tarnalberry Community Regular

My husband and I work together, and have for a number of years, in the same group, with the same job description, often helping each other. We work together fairly well, though when disagreements crop up - and they will between coworkers, it's interesting because the 'fighting style' is different, more intimate, and you have to be OK with that, even though it's about work, because of who you're fighting with. But the fight itself can *never* get personal - and shouldn't even when it's not about work anyway - so unless there are excellent communication skills there to start with, it could get very tricky.

Archived