Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

larry mac

Pet Food Maker Announces Huge Recall

This story on our local tv news station at 10:00pm got our attention when it mentioned Petsmart dog food. We use the dry food however.

===============================================================

Associated Press

WASHINGTON

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Larry, I think you are misinterpreting this. They purposely put gluten into pet food, as a source of protein. Your dry dog food likely has gluten in it as well. And dogs don't digest gluten any better than humans, and hence don't live long and healthy lives as a result.

I think that they are saying that something was WRONG with the gluten they put into the food. Maybe too potent for a slow death, and they killed the dogs too fast?

Dogs are not meant to eat any type of grain, and certainly not gluten grains like wheat. It is a cheap filler, touted as healthy. Healthy only for the pocketbooks of the manufacturers, of course.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Larry, I think you are misinterpreting this. They purposely put gluten into pet food, as a source of protein. Your dry dog food likely has gluten in it as well. And dogs don't digest gluten any better than humans, and hence don't live long and healthy lives as a result.

I think that they are saying that something was WRONG with the gluten they put into the food. Maybe too potent for a slow death, and they killed the dogs too fast?

Dogs are not meant to eat any type of grain, and certainly not gluten grains like wheat. It is a cheap filler, touted as healthy. Healthy only for the pocketbooks of the manufacturers, of course.

UM,

With all due respect I didn't misinterpet anything. I know very well they put the wheat gluten in there on purpose. And no, our dry food does not contain any wheat gluten, animal by products or cereal. We're pretty picky about it actually. It is a Petsmart product though, Authority brand.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Thanks for posting this. I don't use their brand I use Innova but I could only imagine the pain these poor animals went through. The ones who passed had most likely been gluten-free and their systems just couldn't handle the toxin. I know my little gluten-free dog gets very ill now if we try to give him gluten food. When the pet store runs out I cook for him now rather than feeding him regular gluten filled food and cleaning up when it comes up and out. I don't know why companies put gluten in their food on purpose, it is even less healthy for them than it is for us. I have noticed many companies using rice instead of wheat gluten, perhaps they are realizing gluten is a poison to them also. I now keep my pets totally grain free and the improvement in their health is dramatic..

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Complete information about the recall can be found by clicking here.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Not very complete! I wanted to know WHY they are recalling that web site only listed what they're recalling.

Fortunately for my kitteh, he hasn't been on commercial food for a long, long time. He was getting fat and diabetic and I whisked him over to an all meat diet.

Menu's press release is on the page I linked to. Read it, in particular the second paragraph, for the reason behind the recall.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Sorry I misunderstood you, Larry.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the brands listed by Menu (see my previous post), Procter & Gamble are recalling certain Iams and Eukanuba foods made for them by Menu.

Click here for the P&G recall information.

Be patient, the site is very busy and may be slow!

Peter

Thank you for posting that list.

My cat eats Science Diet, but the one we use is not on the list. Great to know--thanks again :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

My cat eats Iam's dry food which is not listed and for wet food he will only eat Fancy Feast grilled chicken and gravy. He is very picky. We tried everything else and he just walks away. He doesn't even like treats...we finally found one he will eat on occasion, which is for hairballs and since he is a long hair that is good.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Janelle Morman
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):